A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seeyou mobile, Skysight, Oudie and WinPilot comments

Old September 11th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Seeyou mobile, Skysight, Oudie and WinPilot comments

Ok.
Thats alot of stuff in one title.
I was at a camp in Salida last week and fellow Soaring pilot Doug Levy encouraged me to load up the Skysight weather on my Oudie everyday. I was using the convergence and winds aloft features. I was really impressed! While not perfect everyday it was/ is dang close. Well worth the 10 minutes it takes to load. We had a fast internet connection at the airport and it worked great, never glitched out once. I'll be doing this every flight in the future.

Another topic of discussion came up and it centered around " what ever became of the thermal location files". I bought Winpilot Pro back when it first came out and I remember pilots working on creating likely thermal locations based on past/ others IGC files. Did anything ever become of this this endeavor?
Are they available today?
Nick
T
Old September 11th 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 6:22:37 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ok.
I was at a camp in Salida last week and fellow Soaring pilot Doug Levy encouraged me to load up the Skysight weather on my Oudie everyday. I was using the convergence and winds aloft features. I was really impressed! While not perfect everyday it was/ is dang close. Well worth the 10 minutes it takes to load. We had a fast internet connection at the airport and it worked great, never glitched out once. I'll be doing this every flight in the future.

Another topic of discussion came up and it centered around " what ever became of the thermal location files". I bought Winpilot Pro back when it first came out and I remember pilots working on creating likely thermal locations based on past/ others IGC files. Did anything ever become of this this endeavor?
Nick
T

http://www.winpilot.com

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 11th 20, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, 11 September 2020 at 3:22:37 pm UTC+2, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ok.

Nick
T

Glad to hear SkySight is working well on the Oudie for you.

I think thermal databases fell out of vogue because the signal-to-noise ratio was so poor. You could convince me they work in the mountains if they're tailored for wind direction and sun angle, but in the flats I think it's tea-leaves.
Old September 12th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Levy
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 9:20:28 AM UTC-7, Matthew Scutter wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2020 at 3:22:37 pm UTC+2, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ok.

Nick
T

Glad to hear SkySight is working well on the Oudie for you.

I think thermal databases fell out of vogue because the signal-to-noise ratio was so poor. You could convince me they work in the mountains if they're tailored for wind direction and sun angle, but in the flats I think it's tea-leaves.

Glad to hear it worked out for you Nick. I've been pleased with the Skysight / Oudie convergence information. It's been very useful when soaring over unfamiliar terrain.
Down load times can be very long without a good internet connection. Wish the file sizes could be smaller and cover smaller areas that will be used for each day.
I've had flights following clouds and the convergence data was correct. Other times the data seemed to parallel the clouds by a few miles. I've had flights not finding lift under some clouds, I changed course to where the display recommended and found good lift. Not always perfect but better than my guessing where to go to next.
Nice bunch of pilots and friends in Salida. Soaring the Rockies was an incredible experience. The scenery near Telluride was one of my most amazing soaring experiences.
Old September 12th 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

In the days of Winpilot Pro on iPaqs there was a thermal database feature which did indeed take account of time of day and wind direction. Since it is not listed as a feature of Winpilot for iOs (so far as I can see) I presume that it was not found to be very effective - although I would expect it to be valid in the mountains. I am not aware of any of the other flight computer systems having included this feature.

Would someone explain the process for getting Skysight forecasts into Oudie? I presume you use Oudie Updater - can you do it without affecting your waypoint or other files?
Old September 13th 20, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ok.

Nick
T

I second "waremark's" request. I would like to know how to get Skysight's convergence maps to display on my Oudie. At the SSA Convention, Matt Scudder (Skysight) referred me to Andre (Oudie). Each referred me to the other, which didn't help at all. I gotta say, in every other way, both Matt and Andre were absolutely awesome in their willingness and ability to help. Those two people alone were reason enough to attend the SSA Convention. Thanks to both of you. My question remains.
Old September 13th 20, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 5:24:46 am UTC+2, wrote:
Ok.

Nick
T

I second "waremark's" request. I would like to know how to get Skysight's convergence maps to display on my Oudie. At the SSA Convention, Matt Scudder (Skysight) referred me to Andre (Oudie). Each referred me to the other, which didn't help at all. I gotta say, in every other way, both Matt and Andre were absolutely awesome in their willingness and ability to help. Those two people alone were reason enough to attend the SSA Convention. Thanks to both of you. My question remains.

We will have a YouTube video detailing the process on the SkySight channel soon.
The 30s summary is:
Have a valid SkySight subscription
Have a valid SeeYou subscription
Have an up to date Oudie
Have a PC/Mac with Naviter Updater installed
Open https://seeyou.cloud/, login, menu - Profile - Integrations - SkySight email - enter your SkySight email address as per your invoice.
Menu-My Devices-Pick your Oudie-Weather Forecast Regions-Select your region

Now plug in your Oudie, and it will download the weather automatically, you can watch the progress in the Naviter Updater
On the Oudie: Settings - Weather - Click the layer of your choice

Future use will only require plugging in the Oudie.

As for 'bouncing' you around, we (SkySight) can help with problems in this process only as they relate to your SkySight account - we have no visibility into your SeeYou account nor any expertise with Oudie's beyond being keen users of them ourselves.
Old September 13th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ok.

Nick
T

Thanks Matt. Please understand that I have NO complaints and did not mean to be critical of you (Skysight) or Andrej (Oudie). You have always been and continue to be unbelievably awesome. (Andrej too.) I was just expressing my frustration in not having any clear documentation or direction on how to accomplish this task that requires integration of the two products. I have ZERO complaints.
Thanks again for your quick response. We are very fortunate to have you working with us.