Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

Old May 29th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Paul kgyy writes:

As Maxwell observes, this may just be a simulator limitation. In
actuality, a small amount of rudder should be applied when initiating
and recovering from a turn, but once in a constant bank turn, the
aircraft will normally be in coordinated flight without rudder
application.

But the autopilot has no control over the rudder, and yet the turn is
coordinated. What is it doing to make this possible?

Your mental condition, apparently.

Bertie
Old May 29th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Ron Natalie wrote in
m:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Not true. The vertical fin can only provide a weather-vane affect
when a slip or skid has been induced.

You have no clue what you are talking about. The skid and slip are
the result of the airplane NOT weather vaning into the wind.

You're wrong, Matt's right.

Bertie
Old May 29th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Ron Natalie wrote in
:

Matt Whiting wrote:

A vertical stabilizer does not provide any lateral
force unless there is some degree of slip or skid.

Precisely! Now you are beginning to understand. As soon
as uncoordinated flight occurs (skid or slip) the vertical stab
deflects the aircraft back into the coordinated flight.

No, it doesn't.

It can help guide it back towards coordinated flight but it won't center
it there.

Bertie
Old May 29th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Erik wrote in news:135ore2nv2ugk87
@corp.supernews.com:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Dan writes:

So where is this perfect airplane? I don't know about you, but I

need
the rudder pedals to fly the aircraft.

But autopilots apparently do not, and that's what puzzles me.

Where the hell is Bertie.

Sorry about the troll thing, you were totally right.

I'm always right. You're forgiven. Your pennance is to bring me some
beer.

Bertie

Old May 29th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:

Erik writes:

Autopilots in simulators do not. Actual (that's opposite of virtual)
light aircraft need a rudder.

Autopilots on light aircraft do not, and I'd like to know why.

See, this is why.

Yes, and you're the resident expert why? Here, here's what you do.
At the main screen (at least on 2004) go down to settings, find the
realism settings button. I know that most of yours are all set to
the most unrealistic, but at least uncheck the autorudder box.
That box is checked by default. Then turn off your damn computer
and shut the **** up.

****wit.

Old May 29th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:

ignorant nonsense snipped

No, this is where you're comparing your simulator to
real life.

Again with the real doll scenario. They're not meant
to actually REPLACE a girlfriend. Oh, right, but you
have no interest in getting laid.

BTW, Anime doesn't count, either.

Old May 29th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:

So in theory I should be able to turn myself with ailerons only in the same
way, without the need to use the rudder to stay coordinated. What's the
secret? Each time I try to turn at the same rate that the AP manages, I have
to use the rudder to stay coordinated.

That's your simulator.

Moron.

Either go out and do it, or stfu

Old May 29th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

You're an idiot. You can't stall a computer, fjukkwit.

Oh, I don't know about that, I bet he could.

Old May 29th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

The same is pretty much true for the F-16, at least from my less than 100
hours experience. It's usually feet on the floor, and the flight control
system works the various control surfaces..

Old May 29th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Is Mxsmanic a Terrorost or a wannabe wrote in
:

MXMORON WROTE:

I have an aversion to stalls and I usually stay well away from them.

People often fear what they don't understand.

good point well made

bertie