Jeppesen USB Skybound Faster?

Old September 15th 04, 02:15 PM
Marco Leon

Default Jeppesen USB Skybound Faster?

I don't think anyone has commented about this on Usenet yet (or at least
Google doesn't have it) so I'll put the question out there. Can anyone
confirm that the USB Skybound datawriter is faster than the PCMCIA Skybound
II? I am contemplating getting it for the slight convenience factor of using
my desktop for updates. If it it *is* faster, that would seal the decision
for me to get it. But since Skybound II was actually slower than the
original, ya never know...

Thanks,

Marco Leon

Old September 15th 04, 03:04 PM
Jim Burns

Marco, I've got one for sale along with several months of a Jeppesen
subscription for a Garmin 430.
Let me know if you're interested.
Jim

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
I don't think anyone has commented about this on Usenet yet (or at least
Google doesn't have it) so I'll put the question out there. Can anyone
confirm that the USB Skybound datawriter is faster than the PCMCIA

Skybound
II? I am contemplating getting it for the slight convenience factor of

using
my desktop for updates. If it it *is* faster, that would seal the decision
for me to get it. But since Skybound II was actually slower than the
original, ya never know...

Thanks,

Marco Leon

---

Old September 15th 04, 03:16 PM
Newps

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message

I don't think anyone has commented about this on Usenet yet (or at least
Google doesn't have it) so I'll put the question out there. Can anyone
confirm that the USB Skybound datawriter is faster than the PCMCIA

Skybound

II? I am contemplating getting it for the slight convenience factor of

using

my desktop for updates. If it it *is* faster, that would seal the decision
for me to get it. But since Skybound II was actually slower than the
original, ya never know...

I used the Skybound USB last month. A buddy of mine has one and 5 or 6
of us borrow it when we want to update our GPS's. From the time you
fire up the program until the card is rewritten and ready to go is less
than 5 minutes. I have the GX55. The only downside to the whole deal
is you can't buy one time updates online from Jepp. They want to sell
you the one year subscription. So if you want a one time update you
have to call them on the phone.

Old September 15th 04, 03:40 PM
Marco Leon

Hmm 5 minutes huh? It takes me about that time to load up an update on the
PCMCIA interface. It may be that the throughput performance of the hardware
is not a major factor in the speed of the update. Thanks for thr PIREP.

Marco

Old September 15th 04, 04:19 PM
Newps

Marco Leon wrote:

Hmm 5 minutes huh? It takes me about that time to load up an update on the
PCMCIA interface. It may be that the throughput performance of the hardware
is not a major factor in the speed of the update. Thanks for thr PIREP.

Well lets see. You plug in the USB cord to the computer and set the box
on your desk. Put card in slot. Fire up the Skybound program and type
in your user name and password. This logs it on to the Jepp site and
downloads the update. I have cable so that's about a 10 second
download, there's not much data there. Program then writes it to the
card, maybe a couple minutes to erase then rewrite the card.

Old September 17th 04, 03:31 AM
GFC

I have just switched to the USB because they said they were no longer
sending update for the older Skybound. But the USB seemed to take at least
twice as long as the old way I've done since the beginning. Not sure as to
why.

Old September 17th 04, 02:26 PM
Rich

Most strange...
I just updated my datacard using my PCMCIA interface Skybound. Can't
see how Jeppesen could tell the difference.

Perhaps they meant they are no longer "offering the hardware" for the
PCMCIA interface.

Rich

Old September 17th 04, 05:12 PM
Marco Leon

I had the original and upgraded to Skybound II. Skybound II took longer
because on the original version, you just need to download the updated
database, extract it to a folder, then point the application to the
uncompressed files. This method kept all the application processing on the
local machine. With Skybound II, it requires an open connection throughout
the updating process (or at least be open in the beginning and at the end
for subscription updating and file downloading). This process takes longer
than the original. My root post asked if there was a difference between the
PCMCIA datawriter and the USB datawriter in terms of speed. I am beginning
to think that the speed is more of a function of software design rather than
hardware performance.

Marco

Old September 18th 04, 03:49 AM
GFC

I'm refering to the service where you download the update and run the update
software.

This directly from the download login:

Skybound Datawriter NavData update services will be discontinued after
September 30, 2004. Users of the Datawriter service will not have access to
service subscriptions after this date.

As a result, current and active Datawriter service subscribers can convert
to Skybound USB at a discounted price. This special price is available for
the Skybound USB hardware and software only and available only for current
and active Skybound Datawriter users.