British glider midair

Old July 23rd 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default British glider midair

Apparently the USA isn't the only country where this sort of thing happens. A fortunate result, all things considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...36#TWEET176819

Phil Umphres
Old July 23rd 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Monday, July 23, 2012 12:42:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Apparently the USA isn't the only country where this sort of thing happens. A fortunate result, all things considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...36#TWEET176819

Phil Umphres

....and they should have a nice log file - from the TV news clip it looks like his flight computer was still running in the wrecked glider.

Mike
Old July 24th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, July 23, 2012 4:09:13 PM UTC-6, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2012 12:42:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Apparently the USA isn't the only country where this sort of thing happens. A fortunate result, all things considered.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...36#TWEET176819
>
> Phil Umphres

...and they should have a nice log file - from the TV news clip it looks like his flight computer was still running in the wrecked glider.

Mike

complete video promised later, caution, queen's english being spoken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNYXoKzbPl8
Old July 24th 12, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 02:29 24 July 2012, Frank Whiteley wrote:

complete video promised later, caution, queen's english being spoken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNYXoKzbPl8

Reveals more about the state of our eductaion system, than the accident!

Old July 24th 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:39:26 AM UTC-6, Jim White wrote:
At 02:29 24 July 2012, Frank Whiteley wrote:

>complete video promised later, caution, queen's english being spoken
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNYXoKzbPl8

Reveals more about the state of our eductaion system, than the accident!

Some of the most sophisticated cursing I have heard. LOL, kids!
Old July 24th 12, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

I'll be darned, it's G Dale. Glad you're okay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18971978

Classic: "Mr Dale said: "I'm really annoyed because I did a lot of
work on that aircraft, and seeing it hanging in the tree is deeply
irritating."

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old July 24th 12, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:01:26 PM UTC-7, Evan Ludeman wrote:
I'll be darned, it's G Dale. Glad you're okay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18971978

Classic: "Mr Dale said: "I'm really annoyed because I did a lot of
work on that aircraft, and seeing it hanging in the tree is deeply
irritating."

-Evan Ludeman / T8

No mention of Flarms, so I assume none was used, although this obviously happened in a gaggle where Flarm may be less effective. So far this is the 3rd midair I am aware off this year, luckily with no fatalities.

Ramy
Old July 24th 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18971978
Mo http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18958136

Damned shame about the gliders, but those can be replaced.

-Evan / T8
Old July 25th 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:14:55 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:01:26 PM UTC-7, Evan Ludeman wrote:
> I'll be darned, it's G Dale. Glad you're okay.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18971978
>
> Classic: "Mr Dale said: "I'm really annoyed because I did a lot of
> work on that aircraft, and seeing it hanging in the tree is deeply
> irritating."
>
> -Evan Ludeman / T8

No mention of Flarms, so I assume none was used, although this obviously happened in a gaggle where Flarm may be less effective. So far this is the 3rd midair I am aware off this year, luckily with no fatalities.

Ramy

There may be two ways to interpret you last comment.

I'd say Flarm may be quite effective (at saving lives) in busy gaggles--its an area where busy pilots can do with the assistance.

Darryl
Old July 25th 12, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

And if I was religious I'd thank God G made it out OK.

Darryl