What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

Old October 31st 03, 04:29 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:33:57 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in Message-Id: :

Larry Dighera writes:

Where is this country heading?

Towards a police state. That's where all democracies end up.

It would seem so.

Perhaps informing the news media of this (likely) ridiculous
misconduct of the TSA would bring their hubris to light, and provoke
an indignant reaction in the general public. We can hope.

It's a lost hope. Nowadays, nobody cares about freedoms until they lose
their own.

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't
try. --Beverly Sills

Old October 31st 03, 04:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:35:47 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in Message-Id: :

Larry Dighera writes:

Do you feel that it's appropriate and constitutional for the TSA to
possess the power restrict citizens' right to the use of navigable
airspace BASED SOLELY ON PUBLIC PERCEPTION rather than sound science?

If you read the U.S. Code, you'll find that the President can declare
anywhere off limits to the general population, for any reason, and
without justification. You can even be thrown out of your own house if
the President decides that you don't belong there. These laws are
regularly used, but they have never undergone a Supreme Court test for
Constitutionality.

There are lots of other scary lots like this, too, and new ones are
being enacted all the time.

So appropriateness and reasonableness are not required by law.
Terrific! :-(

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old October 31st 03, 09:30 PM
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

So appropriateness and reasonableness are not required by law.

Worrying about appropriateness and reason would interfere with the War
on Terrorism (formerly the War on Drugs).

Old November 7th 03, 06:41 PM
Larry Dighera

I posed the question to AOPA, and they told me to contact the
President, so below is the letter I'm about to send. I postponed
sending it, because I see the potential for the government to
_increase_ the TFR-VP to match the TFR-P, without explaining why they
were different sizes in the first place.

If anyone has any suggested modifications, please post 'um.

Dear Mr. President:

Can you please explain the rationale behind the difference in size
between the presidential and vice presidential Temporary Flight
Restriction areas that follow both of you around the nation when
you travel by air?

If the sizes of the TFRs are based on military patrol aircraft
response time for intruder intercepts, why haven't they been
made the same size?

If the difference in size is politically based, to whom should an
airman voice his dissatisfaction at arbitrary governance of the
National Airspace System?

Best regards,
Larry Dighera

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:52:20 -0500
From: "Williams, Heidi"
Subject: Question for e-Pilot
To: '"

Hello Larry,

Your email was forwarded to those of us in the Air Traffic

Department at AOPA as we routinely work with the FAA and security
agencies.
Unfortunately, I do not have a good answer to your question.

Often the criteria or perimeters for security decisions regarding VIP
movement are not made available to the public. I would suggest you
address your concerns in writing to the:

The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20500

Regards,

Heidi J. Williams
Manager
Air Traffic, Regulatory & Certification Policy

Old November 7th 03, 08:38 PM
Mike Z.

Aww, don't send 'em that.

They will just make what's 'is names thingy bigger.

On the other hand, they probably won't pay any more attention than they did to my letter. grin

Mike Z

Old November 7th 03, 09:24 PM
EDR

In article . net, Mike
Z. wrote:

They will just make what's 'is names thingy bigger.

His wife won't mind.
Old November 7th 03, 09:46 PM
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

I posed the question to AOPA, and they told me to contact the
President, so below is the letter I'm about to send.

By postal mail, I assume? It's no longer possible to e-mail the
President directly.

Old November 7th 03, 11:37 PM
Teacherjh

I wouldn't send it. If you are going to address TFRs to the prez, address the
things that are important - to wit, that they don't really accomplish anything,
they hurt the economy, and they are an unnecessary restriction on the very
freedoms that make this country worth defending in the first place.

Aaah, skip that last part. Doubt he'd connect with it.

Jose