Any date-related GPS problems seen today?

Old April 9th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Any date-related GPS problems seen today?

I saw several reports of very old Garmin hand-held devices getting their
dates corrupted at this latest epoch, and the owners were able to
correct the problem with a firmware update.

My GPS 12 still has its correct date, but I always leave good AA
batteries installed. I also charge my Cambridge 302 several times over
the winter, for the same reason.

On 4/8/19 3:33 PM, wrote:
I tried my ancient Garmin eMap a couple of weeks ago - before the epoch rollover. I haven't used it in years and it say with no batteries. It figured out where it was quickly enough. But the date it showed was in 1999. Note this was even before this week's rollover - must be a very old GPS! I used to carry this one when flying as a backup navigation device, since it has a built-in database of towns roads etc at the "right" level of detail. But nowadays Tophat on my smartphone is a much better backup.

My Garmin 76s is not quite as old. I had it stored with no batteries for years. Turned it on a couple of weeks ago and it took an hour to figure out where it was. But then it showed the right date. Stored it with batteries until trying it again yesterday, it got a fix in a few seconds and the date was still correct.

Ah, wasn't saving a bit or two in the data packet worth all this trouble? :-)

Old April 9th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 14:33:53 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

Ah, wasn't saving a bit or two in the data packet worth all this
trouble? :-)

Newer GPS signal formats have lengthened the epoch to 8192 weeks, so the
next rollover for receivers using CNAV messages should be in 157 years
time, though older receivers should work as long as the Legacy messages
continue to be transmitted using 1024 week epochs and the receiver
remembers (or can be told) the epoch number).

I found this stuff he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals

Its quite an interesting read.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 9th 19, 11:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

At 23:48 08 April 2019, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 14:33:53 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

Ah, wasn't saving a bit or two in the data packet worth all this
trouble? :-)

Newer GPS signal formats have lengthened the epoch to 8192 weeks, so the
next rollover for receivers using CNAV messages should be in 157 years
time, though older receivers should work as long as the Legacy messages
continue to be transmitted using 1024 week epochs and the receiver
remembers (or can be told) the epoch number).

I found this stuff he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals

Its quite an interesting read.

Most flight recorders receive transmissions on the L1 frequency which does
not include the epoch. L2 and L5 frequencies do contain epoch information.

L1 GPS Engines (a bought-in compenent) have a Real-Time clock which is
maintained by a rechargable battery which is part of the GPS Engine (not to
be confused with any other battery in the recorder).

IF this battery becomes discharged the epoch number is lost.

Old April 9th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Oh Honeybad... https://arstechnica.com/information-...ays-groundings
Old April 9th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

https://eos.org/articles/noaa-monito...gps-y2k-moment

Old April 15th 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

Just downloaded a couple of flights I did yesterday that were recorded on our club's old Cambridge box. Yesterday's flights were flown on 4/14/19, eight days after the recent rollover. The date in the files is 8/29/99, eight days after the 1999 rollover.

The time of day looks right.

Larry
Old April 15th 19, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

I had 4 Model 20s updated to fix the dead internal GPS battery a couple of months ago. All handled this latest roll-over properly. Same result for the Model 20s I have that have not yet had the internal GPS battery fail and have functioned and had the correct date since initial purchase.

Steve Leonard
Keeper of the Cambridge Model 20s
Old April 17th 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 3:33:22 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
I had 4 Model 20s updated to fix the dead internal GPS battery a couple of months ago. All handled this latest roll-over properly. Same result for the Model 20s I have that have not yet had the internal GPS battery fail and have functioned and had the correct date since initial purchase.

Steve Leonard
Keeper of the Cambridge Model 20s

I have had 2 older Garmin navigators stumble on start up.
Non aviation
UH
Old April 26th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

My Cambridge 302 is showing some random date in 2099. Is there any fix for this?
Old April 26th 19, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/26/19 9:45 AM, Karl Kunz wrote:
My Cambridge 302 is showing some random date in 2099. Is there any fix for this?

Gary Kammerer works as an independent contractor for Clear Nav, he could
probably hellp you. It might be cheaper to just replace the logger
function with something more modern, however.

Update on CAI flight recorder repairs from CNi (GPS Date problems) Tango Eight Soaring 15 December 16th 14 12:47 PM
FSDO enforcement- GPS before effective date - which date to put in Aircraft Log for Part 43? Ron A. Instrument Flight Rules 18 March 15th 06 03:30 PM
First Date Jay Honeck Piloting 35 September 14th 05 04:42 AM
GPS 90b out of date? Roger Long Piloting 2 August 8th 03 03:58 PM
Need a date.... Sagz525 Instrument Flight Rules 2 July 23rd 03 02:34 PM