Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

Old September 13th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
weersch[_2_]

Default Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

Hi Morteza
I have the Trig21.
Installed myself in my experimental to replace a Terra250.
Had no problem to get it signed-off at standard price at Precision
Static in Livermore.
Very happy with it.
Reno sees it very well, even at 18k. No issue with the output power.

When the PowerFlarm arrives, I suspect that suddenly there will be a
miraculous unexplained wire in my harness.
I guess that wire will be carrying 19200 baud NMEA sentences from the
PowerFlarm to the Trig21 and the Trig will be squittering 1080ES ADS-B
Out after someone accidentally toggled the setting in the setup menu
to enable this feature.
Of course I have nothing to do with this. I will stay legal.

I got a good price from Tim M. Better then mentioned above.

You can see my installation he
https://sites.google.com/site/threeu...21-transponder
Or you can have a look at my ship at Tahoe (or soon down the hill)

3U
Old September 13th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 9/12/11 6:43 PM, weersch wrote:

[...]

OK I think you fall into the "technically competent" subcategory (even
with the 1080ES typo) :-)

Darryl
Old September 13th 11, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am convinced (again) that TT21 is
the best option. I will make sure I build the harness with the wires
for the GPS input and ADS-B out just in case. I will order one along
with the L2 antenna. I had great success with it in the previous
installation and they are so easy to install pretty much anywhere.

Now if I figure out what to do with the flight computer, I am all set
for redoing the panel layout and getting to work

Cheers,
Morteza
Old September 13th 11, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
weersch[_2_]

OK I think you fall into the "technically competent" subcategory (even
with the 1080ES typo) :-)

Darryl

Thanks Darryl for my induction in your hall of "technically
competent". I feel honored.
Yeah, doing too much 1080P work and not enough 1090ES.
3U

Old September 13th 11, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sep 12, 11:55*pm, John Smith wrote:
Just be aware that the TT21 is a class 2 tansponder, i.e. not certified
for use above 15,000 feet, and therefore not suited for gliders. Buy the
TT22 instead which is class 1.

To date I've had 392 flights in gliders. I flew above 15,000 ft on a
flight on 17 Jan 1995 (in fact to 19,000 or so).

That's the ONLY time.

Most flights here don't go much above 5000 or 6000 ft. Even when
there's wave it's unusual to be able to get higher than maybe 12,000.

Your conditions are not the same as everyone's.
Old September 13th 11, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

On Sep 12, 11:17*pm, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sep 12, 11:55*pm, John Smith wrote:

Just be aware that the TT21 is a class 2 tansponder, i.e. not certified
for use above 15,000 feet, and therefore not suited for gliders. Buy the
TT22 instead which is class 1.

To date I've had 392 flights in gliders. I flew above 15,000 ft on a
flight on 17 Jan 1995 (in fact to 19,000 or so).

That's the ONLY time.

Most flights here don't go much above 5000 or 6000 ft. Even when
there's wave it's unusual to be able to get higher than maybe 12,000.

Your conditions are not the same as everyone's.

I know what you mean. I had never gotten higher than 6K until I moved
to CA and started flying in the Sierras! Around here flying over 15K
is pretty routine. However, in my last glider I had a Becker 4401
which is also class 2 and I never had a problem. As a matter of fact
out of all the gliders in the Sierras, I would bet majority are using
class 2 transponders.

Cheers,
Morteza
Old September 13th 11, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Sep 12, 6:57*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Darryl Ramm wrote:
The TT-21 as a Transponder utterly blows away any other transponder
available in the USA for use in gliders.

Just be aware that the TT21 is a class 2 tansponder, i.e. not
certified for use above 15,000 feet, and therefore not suited for
gliders. Buy the TT22 instead which is class 1.

This has been discussed here a lot before. the *power difference will
make no practical difference. By all means pay slightly more and install
the TT22 but the important thing is for folks that fly in busy airspace
near airliners etc. to have a transponder (and even an older Mode C
transponder works fine fir that). Most transponders installed in gliders
in the USA appear to be class 2.

Darryl

The TT22 draws about 20 percent more power when transmitting than the
TT21. It's not a lot, but with PowerFlarm going in to my panel as well
I will end up with a 1.5 amp total current requirement, so I figure
every milliamp is worth saving. It seems odd to me that Trig didn't
design with the Class A floor as the break point between design
specs. Then again...

9B
Old September 13th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

When the panel became a power hog, Rex Mayes installed a 2-panel
Strobl Solar system.
On blue days it produces almost half the required current, a decent
battery extender.
But not very efficient under clouds.
Jim

Old September 13th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Hi Gang
I had a Trig mode S transponder installed in my new Phoenix motor
glider. It appears to work fine as a mode C transponder. After
questioning NorCal while soaring they confirmed they could detect it
with their sqwark code, it would IDENT and so on - all the mode C
stuff. However most of the US including northern California/Nevada is
not yet set up for mode S so except for the future there is no reason
to have mode S in the US. Of course there are other reasons to have
mode S, probably the most important would be if you wanted to sell a
glider in Europe where mode S is becoming mandatory. For that market
having a mode S transponder will save the buyer about $2,500 - the
cost of replacing a mode C with a mode S transponder.
Dave
Old September 13th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Andy wrote:

The TT22 draws about 20 percent more power when transmitting than the
TT21. It's not a lot, but with PowerFlarm going in to my panel as well
I will end up with a 1.5 amp total current requirement, so I figure
every milliamp is worth saving. It seems odd to me that Trig didn't
design with the Class A floor as the break point between design
specs. Then again...

9B

The 15,000 feet "limit" comes from wording in the relevant FAA TSO and
ultimately the RTCA standards. That the level was not set to FL180 is
kind of unfortunate. And I expect Trig folks would say the same thing.
But then this all goes back to days of traveling wave tubes and much
different technology and reliability/power output/cooling issues/cost
factors.

Darryl