Any date-related GPS problems seen today?

Old April 7th 19, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Any date-related GPS problems seen today?

The epoc-olypse has arrived.
Old April 7th 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not date related, but I live within the GPS interference testing main
location.Â* It's a real pain in the ass!

I understand that GPS is a military system and it's really irksome that
the FAA and maybe the rest of the ICAO countries rely on it for
navigation and ADS-B.

Oh, my (several) GPS devices were not affected by the epoc.

On 4/6/2019 8:27 PM, kinsell wrote:
The epoc-olypse has arrived.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 7th 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

It (probably) won't affect the operation of a Flight Recorder except that
it #may# record the wrong date in the IGC file, and OLC is bound to notice
that.

The recorded date can be found in the second line of any .IGC file.

Old April 8th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Sounds like you need a receiver with GLONASS capability as a
get-you-home backup.

Old April 8th 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

I have a pretty good collection of old GPS junk, and so far everything has survived:
- My old Volkslogger still works
- I have an ancient Garmin GPS V that came up no problem
- A bit more modern stuff like the Garmin GPS 296 and 396 had no issues
- PowerFlarm had no problem

I haven't yet been able to test the old mouse-style Garmin GPS 20. I think that one might be the most vulnerable, because of its . I think it also lacks a backup battery to store the date.

Lynn
Old April 8th 19, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I don't think the problem has to do with a particular GPS powering-up and locking-onto satellites. I think the issue has to do with the date logged in a flight log file. Both the filename date and the date in the file would be off if the unit has an issue. So a test would need to include a test drive or flight.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
____________________________

Old April 8th 19, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Yes, agreed. I mean on all the GPS's I tested, I have check that the date is correct, either by creating a test log or checking the date on a display (Garmin units).

L.
Old April 8th 19, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 19:18:24 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Bet'cha the Russkys are doing interference testing, too...

On 4/7/2019 5:05 PM, kinsell wrote:
Sounds like you need a receiver with GLONASS capability as a
get-you-home backup.

On 4/7/19 9:43 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not date related, but I live within the GPS interference testing main
location.Â* It's a real pain in the ass!

I understand that GPS is a military system and it's really irksome
that the FAA and maybe the rest of the ICAO countries rely on it for
navigation and ADS-B.

Oh, my (several) GPS devices were not affected by the epoc.

On 4/6/2019 8:27 PM, kinsell wrote:
The epoc-olypse has arrived.

My old Garmin GPS2+ still knows where it is.

However, this unit has never been left without good batteries in it. This
model has a soldered-in non-rechargeable coin cell that's intended to
keep its internal memory alive while you change batteries etc. and this
fails within a year or two if you leave the unit with no or dead
batteries. Don't ask me how I know this....

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 8th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I tried my ancient Garmin eMap a couple of weeks ago - before the epoch rollover. I haven't used it in years and it say with no batteries. It figured out where it was quickly enough. But the date it showed was in 1999. Note this was even before this week's rollover - must be a very old GPS! I used to carry this one when flying as a backup navigation device, since it has a built-in database of towns roads etc at the "right" level of detail. But nowadays Tophat on my smartphone is a much better backup.

My Garmin 76s is not quite as old. I had it stored with no batteries for years. Turned it on a couple of weeks ago and it took an hour to figure out where it was. But then it showed the right date. Stored it with batteries until trying it again yesterday, it got a fix in a few seconds and the date was still correct.

Ah, wasn't saving a bit or two in the data packet worth all this trouble? :-)

Update on CAI flight recorder repairs from CNi (GPS Date problems) Tango Eight Soaring 15 December 16th 14 11:47 AM
FSDO enforcement- GPS before effective date - which date to put in Aircraft Log for Part 43? Ron A. Instrument Flight Rules 18 March 15th 06 02:30 PM
First Date Jay Honeck Piloting 35 September 14th 05 04:42 AM
GPS 90b out of date? Roger Long Piloting 2 August 8th 03 03:58 PM
Need a date.... Sagz525 Instrument Flight Rules 2 July 23rd 03 02:34 PM