MIRRORGLAZE

Old May 25th 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

Default MIRRORGLAZE

For year, I used to use mirrorglaze for my canopy,
almost every preflight.

Then it disappeared from local plastics supply.

Bought some online a year or two ago, used with good
results.
Yesterday, I squirted some on the PIK canopy and immediately
started polishing.
To my dismay some patches seemed to polimnerise
and form a hard patch. Continued polishing with
a clean cloth removed some; A water flush did some good
but I was left with a few patches, right in the vsion line,
which did not yield.
Anyone know if there is a benign solvent which will remove these?

John firth

Old May 25th 15, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-4, firsys wrote:
For year, I used to use mirrorglaze for my canopy,
almost every preflight.

Then it disappeared from local plastics supply.

Bought some online a year or two ago, used with good
results.
Yesterday, I squirted some on the PIK canopy and immediately
started polishing.
To my dismay some patches seemed to polimnerise
and form a hard patch. Continued polishing with
a clean cloth removed some; A water flush did some good
but I was left with a few patches, right in the vision line,
which did not yield.
Anyone know if there is a benign solvent which will remove these?

John firth

I would try a wax 1st, if that does not do it, then a "ClearCoat polish" followed by wax.
Plastic canopies & solvent are not usually used in the same sentence.

PS, if it's just surface issues, then you may have to do a plastic sand/compound/wax system. While there are "aircraft specific" types, the 3M kit for doing automotive plastic headlights should do it.
If it comes with a "clearcoat spray", I would skip that part.
Old May 25th 15, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:00:05 AM UTC-6, firsys wrote:
For year, I used to use mirrorglaze for my canopy,
almost every preflight.

Then it disappeared from local plastics supply.

Bought some online a year or two ago, used with good
results.
Yesterday, I squirted some on the PIK canopy and immediately
started polishing.
To my dismay some patches seemed to polimnerise
and form a hard patch. Continued polishing with
a clean cloth removed some; A water flush did some good
but I was left with a few patches, right in the vsion line,
which did not yield.
Anyone know if there is a benign solvent which will remove these?

John firth

I suspect what you used is Mcguire's #10 (grey bottle) "Mirrorglaze" which is an excellent if dated canopy polish. (Developed by the USAAF in WWII) It's still my favorite but it does take more work to remove if allow to day. The principle of operation is that it's a hard, clear wax whose refractive index is the same as Plexiglass therefore scratches seem to disapear. However, if left on the shelf for too long it tends to leave the patches you describe. Always use fresh #10.

The product to remove stubborn dry patches is McGuires #11 (white bottle). It contains an extremely fine abrasive which is excellent for polishing out fine scratches and stubborn #10 stains. The usual sequence is to first use #11 then #10.
Old May 26th 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
D M[_2_]

I have had good luck with a product from 3M called Adhesive,Wax &
Mark Remover to remove wax,silicone and adhesive. Then I use a 3M
product called Finish Restorer(3902) to get the shine back. I have not
had any visible damage to my canopy or Aircraft surfaces using these
products. It works on most surfaces including glass and vinyl. I do not
know how well it works on carbon fiber but that is what a test area is
for.

Old May 26th 15, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From Mequiar's website; three products for plexiglass.
Clear Plastic Cleaner #17 for removing scratches.
Clear Plastic Polish #10 for final polish and cleaning.
Clear Plastic Detailer #18 for sealing and protection.

All are available. I have used them for 30 years.
Old May 26th 15, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 3Y

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:00:05 AM UTC-6, firsys wrote:
For year, I used to use mirrorglaze for my canopy,
almost every preflight.

Then it disappeared from local plastics supply.

Bought some online a year or two ago, used with good
results.
Yesterday, I squirted some on the PIK canopy and immediately
started polishing.
To my dismay some patches seemed to polimnerise
and form a hard patch. Continued polishing with
a clean cloth removed some; A water flush did some good
but I was left with a few patches, right in the vsion line,
which did not yield.
Anyone know if there is a benign solvent which will remove these?

John firth

Order this kit and follow the instructions. It will restore your canopy to new condition. I have used it and it works!

http://www.banyanpilotshop.net/10Exp...FYWVfgodGH4AbA
Old May 27th 15, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Warning. Warning.
Micro-Mesh is for SEVERELY scratched and damaged plastic.
Not for the usual shallow scratches we accumulate over the years.
Old May 27th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOV2AV8

I love a product made in ABQ called Craftics 20/20 Plastic Cleaner. I find it at my local Ace Hardware. Removes lots of build up if I use it on our club ships. Can find it on line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2515962...lpid=82&chn=ps
Old May 27th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:08:42 AM UTC-7, LOV2AV8 wrote:
I love a product made in ABQ called Craftics 20/20 Plastic Cleaner. I find it at my local Ace Hardware. Removes lots of build up if I use it on our club ships. Can find it on line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2515962...lpid=82&chn=ps

PLEXUS This plastic polish is used by NASA and the Air Force.

In fact, it's mandated for use on the B1B Stealth Bomber to clean, polish and protect the canopy. That's a $300,000.00 canopy!

This is serious stuff and it's so easy to use. Just spray it on any clear or colored plastic surface and wipe with a clean cloth. Plexus Plastic Cleaner penetrates and lifts even the most difficult stain without damaging the fragile surface of the plastic.

Plexus is anti-static. It repels the dust and dirt normally attracted to plastic. Plexus also leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of protectant, sealing the porus surface, making it more resistant to dirt, dust and other contaminants .

http://www.craggyaero.com/misc.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old May 27th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

the @ 17 is on the White bottle; it advises following with the #10.
Stupid remark; there are no benign solvents except perhaps
water.!

JMF

At 19:39 25 May 2015, Bill D wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:00:05 AM UTC-6, firsys wrote:
For year, I used to use mirrorglaze for my canopy,
almost every preflight.
=20

=