#1 Piston Fighter was British

Old July 1st 03, 04:48 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Now you are getting silly.

Now you're confusing silliness with logic.

Old July 1st 03, 05:10 PM
David Lentz

ArtKramr wrote:

snip

should have said the war in western europe. Sorry I left that out.

Fair enough, and I agree that the critical period in the west was
D-Day to V-E Day. Nonetheless, the real war existed beforehand. Like
Paul, I'd have been interested to

In Western Europe before D Day there were only impotent failed thrusts that led
to nothing. Dieppe for example. The moment the first Allied soldier set foot
on the Normandy beach, the end was in sight for Germany. We flew two missions
that day. You would have loved the fun.

In all fairness, Dieppe was a raid. It not intended to take and
hold territory, but rather only as a test of the German's
defenses. Dieppe did establish that any Allied invasion of
Europe would mean coming across the beach and not by capturing
and using a sea port.

Dieppe had its value, and its cost. Was it worth it? I don't
know.

David
Old July 1st 03, 05:11 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: #1 Piston Fighter was British
From: (The Revolution Will Not Be Televised)
Date: 7/1/03 8:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time
On 30 Jun 2003 17:53:46 GMT,
(ArtKramr) wrote:

There were two constants on every mission. One was the 180mph cruise.

How would you know? Did you handle the throttles and observe the ASI
all the time? Did you calibrate the ASI youself? Did you experience
cleaning and replacing the pitot head personally or did you pick that
up third-hand?

The
second was the 4,000 pound bomb load.

Did you measure the weight yourself to confirm this, or were you
relying on other people to weigh & load the bombload?

I can still feel that 100 octane eating into my skin.

How did you know it was 100 octane and not 100/115 or 130/150 or 87
octane with the wrong dye? Does 100 octane provide a specific and
unique dermatological irritation which you recognised? In which case,
were you a qualified dermatologist to make that diagnosis in the first
place?

Gavin Bailey

I was the navigator as well as the Bombardier.. I calculated all ETA's on
180mph indicated converted to groundspeed to get ETA's. We calibrated our
airspeed indicators based on measured speed runs during shakedowns and
calibrated errors accordingly. I had a full set of instruments in front of me
at all times and watched them carefully. We had to hold airspeed to zero
tolerence to get bombing accuracy. We carried 8 500 pound bombs which I was
responsible for inspecting the loading, checking the arming wires for security
and making sure all the A=2 bomb shackles were properly installed.God, I never
dreamt you knew so little.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer