wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Old November 9th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider

Default wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Jack wrote:
.... Since pressing lightly on my wrist between the tendon and the edna instantly
eases the sickness

Then I *really* think that you should give the wrist band a try.

Tony V. LS6-b "6N"
Old November 9th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

With so many esteemed people saying otherwise, I'm almost ashamed to tell
you that the "ReliefBand" works quite well for me, on the few occasions I've
tried it. I carry one in my power plane for passenger use and it seems to be
effective on those who've needed it. One thing for sure, though, is it is
necessary to put the thing on *before* the onset of symptoms, then just push
the button to turn it on if or when it's needed. The last thing you want to
do is be fiddling with getting it on your wrist inside the cockpit when your
tummy is feeling queasy. It's also important to read and follow the
directions carefully, as precise placement is critical.

38 customer reviews at:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilots...FQQCagodHnCiOQ

bumper

Old November 9th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Scopolamine is very effective but one of the side effects is reduced
accommodation. Thus your near vision will be blurred and if you are far
sighted (hyperopic) your distance vision will be affected as well. This
might be okay on a boat but not when piloting an aircraft. I would
suggest avoiding any pharmaceutical if you are PIC. Keep trying.

Paul
ZZ

Willy VINKEN wrote:
No Jack, they don't.
Or at least, there is no scientific evidence that proves they might.
Nevertheless, everything that derives attention can prevent motion
sickness. Even having spent a lot of money for a gadget. The worst
situation is when you keep thinking motion sickness will happen.
Keep trying, and things will improve.
Drugs like cinnarazine or domperidone might help in between.
NASA even experimented with scopolamine. Those are not trademarks,
but international nonproprietary chemical names. Trademarks are
different in different countries.
The more efficient they are, the more side effects they have...
But still, they might be a suitable solution for transition. Your
instructor is always behind you, so some lack of concentration isn't
dramatic, and you still keep acquiring reflexes. After all, this is
what basic learning to fly is all about.
Open the window a bit, get some fresh air blowing in your face, and
concentrate on flying. And believe me, half an hour in the air,
working hard, is more than enough for a beginner to be exhausted.
Longer flights simply add 'minutes in the cockpit', but don't improve
your skills.

Willy VINKEN
Medical doctor, diving instructor and glider pilot.
And having seen a lot of motion sickness...

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:10:01 +1100, "Jack" None wrote:

I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but
still not good enough.

Today in a lesson we had very good conditions, for the first time I was able
to really play and experiment with the glider without stress or time
constraints, various banks in thermals, near stalls, trim various speeds
etc... I was able to get back to thermals to go back to 4-5000ft, I had all
these thing I was planning on learning/improving and today was the perfect
day for it but after 30 min the instructor tried to show me how to thermal
with a high bank and in 2 spins I started to feel bad, I took the controls
again but 1 minute later I was sweating, my focus and concentration were
gone. We had to waste 5000ft gliding straight down with brakes out.

My disapointment was huge, I was upset with myself and questioned if I
should have stayed and fought it but with hindsight I feel we did the right
thing to land.

I understand that I will probably get used to it but from a learning point
of view only doing short flights will slow down my progression and from a
financial point of view, well a 15min or 1 hour flight cost the same...

I have seen some adds about wristbands that look like a watch, they
electrically stimulate the median nerve and are supposed to prevent motion
sickness, since they do not have any side effects and the intensity is
adjustable it seems to be the ideal solution for me, I can gradually lower
the intensity until I am used to it.

Now the question, "do they really work ?" they are not cheap, about the cost
of 4 x 3000ft tow so I would appreciate if someone who used them can
comment.

Cheers
Jack

Old November 10th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

At 09:26 09 November 2008, Willy VINKEN wrote:
[...]

Acupuncture works, I am the most sceptical person when it comes to
"alternative remedies" but it really does work and I read somewhere that
the wrist pressure works because it is an acupunture point. You would need
to talk to an acupunture practitioner to get confirmation.
As an example I have a very strong gag reflex and my dentist had to take
some impressions, garunteed to make me gag. She made me press quite hard
on a point centrally under my bottom lip for 90 seconds. I was convinced I
would gag. The impressions were taken with absolutely no problem. It does
work, why I have no idea and the fact that it cannot be scientifically
explained does not alter that fact.

Old November 10th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Don Johnstone wrote:

Acupuncture works, I am the most sceptical person when it comes to
"alternative remedies" but it really does work and I read somewhere that
the wrist pressure works because it is an acupunture point. You would need
to talk to an acupunture practitioner to get confirmation.
As an example I have a very strong gag reflex and my dentist had to take
some impressions, garunteed to make me gag. She made me press quite hard
on a point centrally under my bottom lip for 90 seconds. I was convinced I
would gag. The impressions were taken with absolutely no problem. It does
work, why I have no idea and the fact that it cannot be scientifically
explained does not alter that fact.

Ever hear of the placebo effect? That *is* a scientific explanation.
But hey, if it works for you that's all that matters. :-)

Regards,

-Doug

Old November 10th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James

Acupuncture works, I am the most sceptical person when it comes to
"alternative remedies" but it really does work and I read somewhere that
the wrist pressure works because it is an acupunture point. You would need
to talk to an acupunture practitioner to get confirmation.
As an example I have a very strong gag reflex and my dentist had to take
some impressions, garunteed to make me gag. She made me press quite hard
on a point centrally under my bottom lip for 90 seconds. I was convinced I
would gag. The impressions were taken with absolutely no problem. It does
work, why I have no idea and the fact that it cannot be scientifically
explained does not alter that fact.

..
..
I recently read a report on a large study of acupuncture. There were
two large groups, one being a control group. Both groups improved
significantly. The study group received acupuncture at the
recommended locations by acupuncture experts. The control received the
same treatment except that the sites for the needles were chosen at
random.

While both groups improved there was no significant difference between
the two groups. Sorry I don't remember exactly where I saw the
report.

James
..
..
Old November 10th 08, 09:38 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Jack, hang in there

I found the further away from the airstrip I got, the less sick I got.
Go cross-country as soon as you can, the increased concentration required lessens the nausea. Try not to think about it too much.

Also, classically-
Eat banana's before flying. They contain lots of potassium.
(but actually they just taste better coming up than most things)

bagger
Old November 9th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Jack" None wrote in message
u...
I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but still
not good enough.

Motion sickness is partly physical but mostly mental. I think that I am a
very typical pilot in that as long as I am the one on the controls, I am
unlikely to suffer. But shortly after someone else takes the controls and does
a few "whoop-de-doos" all bets are off! Encourage your instructor to keep
demonstrations brief, and to "talk you through" maneuvers whenever possible
rather than demonstrating, even if that slows your progress a bit.

The best medicine for motion sickness is continued exposure to the conditions
that cause it. Most likely, you will soon get used to the sensations of flight
and your problems will gradually fade away. Until then, do whatever seems to
help.

Vaughn

Old November 9th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 9, 6:26*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Jack" None wrote in message

u...

[...]

Ginger is a proven remedy for many people. Those not responding to
tablets have found that chewing ginger root works. Give it a try.

Mike

Old November 9th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 9, 7:26*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Jack" None wrote in message

u...

[...]

Vaughn,

Please back up your statement "Motion sickness is partly physical but
mostly mental" with facts, references etc. I still get sick at the
beginning of each season and on days when the conditions are
unpredictable (wave, rough thermals, etc). The difference between you
flying and someone else is the predictability factor. When you fly
you know what you are going to do. For the most part I can find there
is little mental involved in airsickness. It is an inner ear issue
for most pilots where the inner ear is getting unpredictable stimulus
that causes the symptoms.

There are old wives tails form early military training that it is
mental, but so far no data I know of that back that up. Please don't
spread rumour and misinformation unless you can provide good data to
back it up. You are not providing information that will help and
really only confuses the topic.

Air sickness Amine Piloting 125 June 7th 08 12:10 PM
anybody benefit once, mean therefore, then compensate since the sickness above the sentence Franklin Piloting 0 August 14th 07 01:34 AM
XC Sickness [email protected] Soaring 17 July 13th 07 05:45 AM
Anything new in to combat motion sickness? Gary Emerson Soaring 35 February 6th 07 04:38 PM
Gulf Sickness Redux? DunxC Military Aviation 0 September 18th 03 06:36 AM