OK -- Here's the Ultimate List of 90+ "Aircraft-Accessible Aviation Museums"

Old January 14th 04, 05:04 AM
R.Hubbell

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:39:46 GMT "Jay Honeck" wrote:

http://alexisparkinn.com/fly-in_aviation_museums.htm

Don't know if you have or not but you might want to put a copyright
on that document.

What's the next list? How about within walking to Golf courses?
Or maybe within walking of the ocean/lake? Or ones that have camping.
Or maybe hiking trails. You get the idea. It's so easy to propose
work for others!

Thanks for compiling the list, now who's going to visit all
of them first? Ready. Go! I smell a contest. Set a deadline,
get a small entrance fee ($100 is small for pilots).

The proof of a visit would be some acknowledgement from the museum
curator. It's crazy enough to be fun.

R. Hubbell

I think this list of fly-in museums is by far the most useful I've found --
thanks for helping to create it, folks! Please check it over for accuracy,
and submit any additions/corrections you may find to me at

I have not had time to check all the web links (this whole endeavor has
ended up taking WAY too much time! ;-), so if you find any "dead" links,
please let me know...

Personally, I plan on frequenting those aviation museums that open their
front (or back) doors to the very people who make airplanes a part of their
lives -- we pilots. It's a terrible irony that so many aviation museums
keep the runway-side doors locked, and I plan on using this list to help put
money in the pockets of those curators who are enlightened enough to welcome
us with open hangar doors!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 14th 04, 11:09 AM
Dan Thompson

Nice. Really nice. The Cavanagh Flight Museum at Addison, Texas says on
their website:
Flying Directions: The museum is located at ADS, Addison Airport and is East
of the runway on taxiway "U". Limited aircraft parking is available on our
ramp, please call in advance to check availability.

The "call in advance" is definitely recommended, and you might want to add
that to the next revision of your list.

Old January 14th 04, 02:37 PM
Rick Durden

Jay,

Ultimate???

You mean it will never, ever, ever be improved? g

Thanks for putting it together, that took a lot of work.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Old January 14th 04, 03:29 PM
Rick Durden

Jay,

An excellent site. Nice work.

One question, shouldn't the Ottumwa, Iowa museum be listed as Blakesburg?

Warmest regards,
Rick

Old January 14th 04, 03:43 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Rick Durden wrote:
Jay,

Ultimate???

Well, it *is* on a computer.

If it was done with ink-on-paper it might legitimately be referred to
as *PEN*-ultimate. groan

Old January 14th 04, 04:01 PM
Jay Honeck

If it was done with ink-on-paper it might legitimately be referred to
as *PEN*-ultimate. groan

Augh!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 14th 04, 04:07 PM
Jay Honeck

One question, shouldn't the Ottumwa, Iowa museum be listed as Blakesburg?

Well, good point. I went with Ottumwa because their webpage
(http://www.aaa-apm.org/) lists their location as "just West of Ottumwa,"
instead of "Blakesburg."

But, in retrospect, "Blakesburg" makes more sense. (And the name has
become pretty well-known in the aviation community...)

Thanks for the input!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 14th 04, 04:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Don't know if you have or not but you might want to put a copyright
on that document.

How does one do that? Just put the little claim at the bottom of the page,
or is there still a "real" way to do it?

Thanks for compiling the list, now who's going to visit all
of them first? Ready. Go! I smell a contest. Set a deadline,
get a small entrance fee ($100 is small for pilots).

I was tempted to flight plan a trip to all of them, using Destination
Direct. I wonder how many miles/days it would take?

Anyone up to a flight-planning challenge?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 14th 04, 04:43 PM
R.Hubbell

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:09:24 GMT "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Don't know if you have or not but you might want to put a copyright
on that document.

How does one do that? Just put the little claim at the bottom of the page,
or is there still a "real" way to do it?

IANAL (I am not a lawyer)

From the rec.aviation FAQ:

Subject: Copyright

Copyright (C) 1990-1999, Geoffrey G. Peck, all rights reserved.
You may redistribute this information freely as long as it is distributed in
its entirety, with this copyright notice included. You may also not charge,
either directly or indirectly, for this information, nor may you include this
information in a compendium for which a charge of any sort is made.

There must be someone around here that can give guidance on this.
But I think something similar to the above is enough to cover
your rights.

Thanks for compiling the list, now who's going to visit all
of them first? Ready. Go! I smell a contest. Set a deadline,
get a small entrance fee ($100 is small for pilots).

I was tempted to flight plan a trip to all of them, using Destination
Direct. I wonder how many miles/days it would take?

I think six months would be pushing it assuming you had only
that flying to do.

Anyone up to a flight-planning challenge?

Not enough time for me. Someday, maybe.

R. Hubbell

--
Jay Honeck