DIY Flight-Computer

Old February 11th 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default DIY Flight-Computer

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:51:38 +0200, GolDek wrote:

http://www.openvario.org/doku.php?id...:remote_00:top

Brilliant! that covers exactly what I wanted to know.
Many thanks.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 11th 15, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 05:21:21 -0800, Kilo-Bravo wrote:

At a first look at things, I would prefer a 7" Touch-screen, which I
think its big enough to let my fingers work on it during flight.

I have a fairly full panel in my Libelle: 80mm ASI, altimeter and SDI C4
for starters followed up by 57mm B.40 vario, T&B and radio.

Currently me navigation system is LK8000 running on a Medion S3747, held
in front of the panel in a fleximount: as its just a 3.5" (88mm) screen,
it doesn't hide any instruments. I find its touch screen is useable in
flight, but then I don't have big fingers.

I was wondering about touch screens because some of the RaspberryPi shops
(Pimoroni and ModMyPi) are selling 3.5"/85mm touch screens for around GBP
35. These tend to use I2C bus connections though I did spot one with a
USB connector.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 14th 15, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo-Bravo

Am Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2015 00:25:52 UTC+1 schrieb Martin Gregorie:
[...]

Hi Martin,

sorry for late reply.
Of course I know the panel-problems, not only with the Libelle.
As I am verry much restricted in panel-space in my Banjo, and do do not want to exchange all my 80mm instruments by expensive 57mm instruments, I do look for a smaller and less difficult version. let´s call it a OV-Light.
5" or even 4" touchscreen, without stick-remote, gyro, accellorator and other additional functions. Just a plane Glider-Navigation to replace my old IPAQ with SeeYou running at it.
At this moment, I try to get a Light-Specification together with the designer-group, hope this will work.
On the other hand, I am just a dumm Electronic-Neandertal (greenhorn), so I have to work out first how to get the PCB´s manufactured and whats the special secret by soldering the SMD´s onto the PCB´s.
In the next step, I like to build a Light-Version to get builders-experiance, in order to document those things at my website UL-Segelflug.de, to make the doeing easyer for other builders.
Stay tuned at UL-Segelflug.de and watch for progress.

Best regards from Germany

Klaus
Old February 15th 15, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo-Bravo

Am Samstag, 14. Februar 2015 12:25:22 UTC+1 schrieb Kilo-Bravo:
[...]

I have to revise my Info to you from yesterday, as meantime new findings came up.
I did a survey asking all present builders about their experiances and the state of the build at present.
All together, inclusive the people from the developing-crew convinced me, that a Light-Version, as I prefered it, would not make any sence.
1. building a full-version will cost somthing like 40-50 EURO more then the light-version.
2. additional time for the build is minor
3. building the full version would include an E-Vario in display as well, so I could take my Borgelt E-Vario out of the panel
Taking out the Borgelt will not only reduce weigt of 550 Gramms, but also gives lot of additional space to go for a 7" display.
I took out all instruments from my panel, covered it with blank paper and glued shapes of remaining instruments and the 7" screen in original messurements to it.
The result: everything fits and the 7" screen looks encouraging.
Today I do a new Panel in fibre, so I will proceed the project as explained obove.
New panel-layout you can see at UL-Segelflug.de/Blog, where I also described the new findings.
I´m sure you could try a similar way, just try it.
Touch-screen has also been obandoned, now I ended up with a stick-remote as well.
Could be, that I design a small side-panel mounted at the canopy-frame, instead stick-remote.

Regards from Germany

Klaus
Old February 15th 15, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 00:55:07 -0800, Kilo-Bravo wrote:

All together, inclusive the people from the developing-crew convinced
me, that a Light-Version, as I prefered it, would not make any sence.
1. building a full-version will cost somthing like 40-50 EURO more then
the light-version.
2. additional time for the build is minor 3. building the full version
would include an E-Vario in display as well, so I could take my Borgelt
E-Vario out of the panel Taking out the Borgelt will not only reduce
weigt of 550 Gramms, but also gives lot of additional space to go for a
7" display.

Yes, I'd agree with that, but if you're going for all electronic varios,
you might want to retain something like a 57mm Borgelt B.40 or a Tasmin
V1000 as a backup vario. Both can run for about a day from a 9V Duracell
battery, so would get you home in the case of a main battery failure.

Touch-screen has also been obandoned, now I ended up with a stick-remote
as well.

OK. I don't want to go that way: take a look a a Libelle's stick next
time you're near one and you'll see that, because of the 'automatic' trim
mechanics, it would be almost impossible to run wires from that switch
set down inside the stick: It was bad enough getting a pair through for
the radio's PTT switch, so abandoning the idea of a touch screen option
is bad news for me.

I heard last night that LK8000 for Linux is getting close to release, so
this would make a port of it to a RaspberryPi with a touch screen a more
attractive option for me.

Thermals,
Martin

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 15th 15, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo-Bravo

Am Sonntag, 15. Februar 2015 13:31:56 UTC+1 schrieb Martin Gregorie:
[...]

a very nice layout for the Libelle, you´ll find at the facebook-site of Stefan Langer. There you see, that it also works fine in the Libelle-panel.
He also uses a stick-remote with all functions. So it must be possible, to get all cables through the tube of the stick. But if you need informations about that, you better contact Stefan directly via Facebook for advice.
Facebook-Link:
https://www.facebook.com/45323828144...type=1&theater

Regards from Germany

Klaus
Old February 15th 15, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 8:43:40 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 12:34:47 PM UTC+13, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:46:30 -0800, Kilo-Bravo wrote:

Hi Graig,

glad you like it. I just try to organize a project-group to build a
bigger number of computers.
Hope it will work.

Is there any particular you decided to base the project round a Cubieboard
rather than, say, a Beagleboard Black or a RaspberryPi? The new Pi 2B
looks quite interesting and there are already smallish touch screens
available for it. As a Libelle pilot I prefer small.

I happen to have a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B in my hand, and I expect it would be well up to the job if it has sufficient of the right kinds of I/O. It's certainly faster than the A20 Cubieboard 2, though not the A80 Cubieboard 4.

As the Raspberry Pi 2 was announced only a week ago I think you can hardly blame the project for not using one! The old model was underpowered when it came out three years ago, and laughably so now.

Nice write-up on spec's & pricing.......
http://www.electronicproducts.com/Co...a_mere_35.aspx
Old February 15th 15, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 8:18:42 AM UTC-5, Kilo-Bravo wrote:
[...]

Looking in this picture...
https://www.facebook.com/45323828144...e=1&permPage=1
I'm guessing the cables run inside the tube in the vertical, but look to be on the outside/bottom (see the ty-wraps?) on the horizontal.
Old February 15th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo-Bravo

Am Sonntag, 15. Februar 2015 18:49:22 UTC+1 schrieb Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot):
[...]

Yes, thats correct. Goeing downwards inside the stick-handle and follow the vertical outside underneath.

Rgds Klaus
Old February 15th 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 09:49:20 -0800, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
wrote:

Looking in this picture...
https://www.facebook.com/453238281445186/photos/

pb.453238281445186.-2207520000.1424006006./475975595838121/?
type=1&permPage=1
I'm guessing the cables run inside the tube in the vertical, but look to
be on the outside/bottom (see the ty-wraps?) on the horizontal.

I see what he's done. The cable bundle is never inside the metal Z-tube
that forms the stick's structure. Instead, the wires run down the outside
of the tube but within the body of the much larger carbon moulding.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK