GPSNAV problems

Old July 20th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman[_2_]

Default GPSNAV problems

Ian Reekie wrote:

The DB9 port is the correct port for a PDA as it can provide File
communications and also output full NMEA data, but only if requested by
the PDA.
To output NMEA the PDA has to first send the initialisation command word
"NMEA" to the DB9 port. Therefore the PDA software has to have been
written to specifically support the GPSNAV and have a GPSNAV connection
mode.
In for example Seeyou Mobile when you set the Hardware setting to GPSNAV,
Seeyou Mobile sends this command to the GPSNAV at startup and the NMEA
stream commences.
Almost certainly the reason you could not get your PDA Software working on
the DB9 port was either;
1)The PDA software does not specifically support the GPSNAV, and does not
send the NMEA command word at startup.
2) You have not set the software to be configured for a GPSNAV.
3) You connect/start up your Cambridge and PDA in an order that does not
allow the GPSNAV to receive the NMEA initialisation command. Eg Start the
PDA program first then power on the GPSNAV or start the PDA software then
plug it into the cradle.

Ian,

I am using SoarPilot on a Palm PDA. It never occurred to me that there
might be a need to tell SoarPilot that it is connected to a flight
computer. I checked the settings for SP and sure enough, there is a
checkbox for GPSNAV. I won't be able to verify if this works for a
couple of days as the glider is 2 hours away. But what you say makes a
lot of sense because everything else is working fine. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

-Doug
Old July 20th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie

Doug
If you were using an IPAQ, I would also recommend that you download the
free utility from Naviter (Seeyou) called Connectme.
This would allow you to download traces and upload waypoints directly from
your PDA. You would never have to bother to connect a PC to the logger
again :-)

When you download a flight log it produces a standard .CAI secure
Cambridge log file and also a special IGC file that can be directly
uploaded to the OLC . (The file contains unsecure IGC data but has the
Cambridge binary secure data appended to the end)

A very useful free utility.

Ian

Old July 20th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie

[...]

LNav, GpsNav 20 For Sale Jim[_18_] Soaring 1 February 13th 08 01:25 PM
FS GPSNAV 10 with DIsplay hans Soaring 0 January 25th 07 12:24 AM
GPS Problems near CHD.. Dan Piloting 7 August 7th 06 10:46 PM
Will Cambridge GPSNAV score in 2k6 OLC? Stewart Kissel Soaring 1 October 30th 05 05:52 PM
FS Cambridge LNAV/GPSNAV system scooter Soaring 0 March 12th 05 11:08 PM