Los Angeles radio tower crash kills 2

Old December 21st 04, 03:31 AM
Matt Barrow

"John Clear" wrote in message
Towers can be very hard to spot in the haze. There is a 1500ft
tower on the top of a 2500ft ridge between Watsonville (WVI) and
South County (E16 (formerly Q99)). On a clear day, it isn't easy
to see. With fog/haze, it becomes invisible.

I took these shots on a somewhat hazy day:

http://www.panix.com/~jac/spot-the-tower/

There are strobes on it, but the tower itself is a flat grey, which
is very good at blending into the haze/fog.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/S27 Check the two towers on the approach to
31. Only 500 feet off the centerline and just over a mile from the
threshold. At least Kalispell is not subject to obscuration.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 21st 04, 05:34 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
The TV news report I saw last night had a spokesman for KFI stating
that the tower would be reconstructed on the exact same site with the
same guy wire locations.

Yeah that makes total sense.

Crash in to a house that's built too close to the airport, close the
airport.

Crash in to a tower that's built too close to the airport, rebuild the
tower.

Was the tower built too close to the airport, or was the airport built too
close to the tower?

Old December 21st 04, 05:48 AM
Peter R.

Larry Dighera ) wrote:

The TV news report I saw last night had a spokesman for KFI stating
that the tower would be reconstructed on the exact same site with the
same guy wire locations.

How were they able to get their signal back on the air so quickly?

I take it there must be some type of disaster recovery plan that
involves rerouting the signal to another local tower?

--
Peter

Old December 21st 04, 06:12 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:48:34 -0500, Peter R.
wrote:

Larry Dighera ) wrote:

The TV news report I saw last night had a spokesman for KFI stating
that the tower would be reconstructed on the exact same site with the
same guy wire locations.

How were they able to get their signal back on the air so quickly?

I take it there must be some type of disaster recovery plan that
involves rerouting the signal to another local tower?

Yep. Most radio stations have at least one alternate transmission
station. Power it up, flip a switch, and maybe shift the crew to the
new site and your back running commercials making money.

Old December 21st 04, 06:57 AM
PJ Hunt

"Steven P. McNicoll" roncachamp@ wrote

Was the tower built too close to the airport, or was the airport built too
close to the tower?

Well I can't answer that question with 100% certainty but I do know the
Fullerton Airport was founded in the late 20's, and an educated guess would
be that KFI wasn't around at that time.

Anyone here know when the tower was erected?

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

Old December 21st 04, 07:05 AM
PJ Hunt

Wow, I just checked the KFI website and it say's they started in 1922 in
some guys garage with a 50 watt transmitter. Man I knew that KFI had been
around for a long time but I didn't expect it to have been that long.
That's pretty amazing.

The website didn't say when the tower at Fullerton was erected though.

It's an interesting issue. If the tower was there first, why would they put
an airport so close to it?

Now I'm really curious which came first.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old December 21st 04, 10:39 AM
Morgans

Perhaps now that it has bee knocked down, the FAA and FCC will get
together
and find a more suitable location for a new tower. (wishful thinking)

The TV news report I saw last night had a spokesman for KFI stating
that the tower would be reconstructed on the exact same site with the
same guy wire locations.

Perhaps painting it day-glow orange and installing xenon strobes all
over it might help make it a little more conspicuous.

Sounds like the help of AOPA would be in order. A petition drive, also,
with members doing a quick safety explanation to non pilots, also. Stand in
front of grocery stores, go door to door around the airport, ect.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 21st 04, 11:32 AM
James Robinson

"Peter R." wrote:

How were they able to get their signal back on the air so quickly?

I take it there must be some type of disaster recovery plan that
involves rerouting the signal to another local tower?

There's a second 250 foot tower on the property that is used as backup.
Old December 21st 04, 12:39 PM
Larry Dighera

On 20 Dec 2004 18:08:30 -0800, (John Clear) wrote in
::

Towers can be very hard to spot in the haze. There is a 1500ft
tower on the top of a 2500ft ridge between Watsonville (WVI) and
South County (E16 (formerly Q99)). On a clear day, it isn't easy
to see. With fog/haze, it becomes invisible.

I took these shots on a somewhat hazy day:

http://www.panix.com/~jac/spot-the-tower/

There are strobes on it, but the tower itself is a flat grey, which
is very good at blending into the haze/fog.

That tower is difficult to discern.

Because the KFI tower is so close to the airport it appears larger,
but your photo illustrates the problem well.