X-Plane Author's TFR Story

Old May 9th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default X-Plane Author's TFR Story

I don't remember seeing anything about this here. Interesting story:
http://www.x-plane.com/adventures/tfr.html
Austin also has his Cirrus for sale as well:
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/97947/
I hope it's not because of the TFR violation. Maybe he's upgrading?

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 9th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marco Leon mmleonyahoo.com wrote:

I don't remember seeing anything about this here. Interesting story:
http://www.x-plane.com/adventures/tfr.html

Interesting story. As the author of X-Plane is IFR rated, I am somewhat
surprised that he didn't file IFR from Boston, MA, through the Washington,
DC airspace.

With all of its varied airspace classifications, the Northeast US is often
easier to negotiate when flying IFR.

Austin also has his Cirrus for sale as well:
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/97947/
I hope it's not because of the TFR violation. Maybe he's upgrading?

Send him an email and ask if this is the case. My guess is that he is
upgrading.

--
Peter
Old May 9th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I saw Austin at Oshkosh last year asking a lame question of Burt Rutan.
My impression was of a super nerd (kind of like Bill Gates) with an
over inflated sense of self importance... at least that's how he came
across when I saw him...

Old May 9th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 9 May 2006 14:34:17 -0400, "Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com
wrote in ::

I don't remember seeing anything about this here. Interesting story:
http://www.x-plane.com/adventures/tfr.html

Wouldn't en route contact with ATC have prevented Austin's TFR
violation?

If he had requested Radar Traffic Advisory Service, surely ATC would
have alerted him to the pop-up TFR.

Old May 9th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

My impression was of a super nerd (kind of like Bill Gates) with an
over inflated sense of self importance... at least that's how he came
across when I saw him..

Hell, one can conclude that by simply reading many of his "adventures" on
his website and the listserv-style X-Plane emails he sends out every week.

--
Peter
Old May 9th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Wouldn't en route contact with ATC have prevented Austin's TFR
violation?

If he had requested Radar Traffic Advisory Service, surely ATC would
have alerted him to the pop-up TFR.

That's my understanding - but I partially agree with one of the
the northeast. I'd limit that to anywhere that involves transiting the
D.C. ADIZ tho - north of there it's fairly easy to stay out of trouble,
and usually a lot faster to just duck under the outer rings of the
various Class Bs up to Boston.

--
Guy

Old May 9th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in ::

I don't remember seeing anything about this here. Interesting story:
http://www.x-plane.com/adventures/tfr.html

Wouldn't en route contact with ATC have prevented Austin's TFR
violation?

It certainly would have helped. VFR flight following and/or IFR would
have pointed out what was happening.

I wonder if a lot if Cirrus pilots don't bother with VFR flight
following b/c of the TCAD info overlayed on the moving map?

-Nathan

Old May 10th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Nathan Young" wrote in message

I wonder if a lot if Cirrus pilots don't bother with VFR flight
following b/c of the TCAD info overlayed on the moving map?

You may be on to something there Nathan. Traffic advisories are the main
reason I get flight following when VFR. I suspect most pilots are in the
same camp since the advent of GPS.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com