alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

Old May 16th 15, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

Geek: I apologize to you. I did mistake your intention.

On 5/15/2015 12:57 PM, Glidergeek wrote:
Dan if you look at his flights it looks like he had several short flights on one day and several more on the next day. Is it possible this is the bugs Bob is referring to?
My comment was not an attack, it is an obersivation some of the times look to overlap. Bob can't or won't explain, Mr. Fiddler is the one picking on Bob : ) .
Bob grow up.

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 16th 15, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Great review! I would only ask about battery life with respect to
flight time.

On 5/16/2015 8:37 AM, wrote:
My own iGlide experience came about from being an eeejit. I left my Oudie 3 at home (a country different to my gliding location/s) and wanted a cheap stand-in to use in a club glider for a 500km task. For me, iGlide worked really well. It logged the entire flight, uploaded to OLC directly as well as emailing the file in both .igc and .kml formats to myself. It also synced with the iPad version via Dropbox. The iPhone was held in a suction mount in vertical orientation and was always readable, no washout in the sun. I use an iPhone 5 and the screen could do with being a little bigger (# of nav boxes are limited). An iPad mini would be too big unless panel mounted. An iPhone 6 would be better and a 6+ great. UI is intuitive and easy to use. I used it without the local TP's because unlike maps and airspace, they can only be loaded via iTunes and I was without my laptop too. Task creation isn't difficult, you can choose your type of OZ and there are some great rubber banding options for modification (like Oz Runways, ForeFlight Mobile, etc). Overall, a good product! It certainly saved me from 'map and compassing' my way around!

I post this from the perspective of a computer literate glider pilot (yes, one of the 12 :P ) and low glider time, high powered time. It was a competitive flight but not a competition (ie. only amongst friends)

CJ - B3

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 16th 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Dan no problem this is a public open forum we all should realize that when people use real names it opens up for more scrutiny. I do find the OP's thread a little bit over-the-top with accusations that aren't being backed up. I looked at his flights it's possible that the bugs he is talking about are related to his flights. Maybe he got phone calls that interrupted the recordings? Maybe there's other things involved he's not divulging. But if you're coming on a public forum like this you better expect every answer except for what you're looking and plenty of thread drift. That's why I call this the "rec aviation speculation" group. There is plenty of really good information here, and there's plenty of thread drift and speculation. There's a lot of kudos and a lot of insults and a lot of in between, and there's a lot of white elephants in the room that everybody sees but nobody wants to talk about.

I too have used it in the Iglide light configuration and found it very easy to use and when my GPS 20 failed to record my last ( and only flight this year) flight, without knowing that Iglide would record I downloaded it to OLC it did it without fail and I was very impressed. The only bug I found originally was trying to download use your way points from a database into the App. A few emails back to the makers were replied to and timely manner with an explanation of how to do it and that they were aware that there was a bug. I was told to start the app and then download it from iTunes and I was successful in getting my waypoints installed.
Old May 17th 15, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I upgraded to iGlide Pro yesterday after using Lite and Advanced for over a year. I use iPhone5 and mount it on a $10 suction cup phone holder from Walmart. I really like the program because it is easy to check my situation at a glance and to modify my task enroute. I have purchased SeeYou Mobile in the past and have NavPro on the same phone. Glidergeek's comment on the failure of his GPS20 and the iGlide record caught my attention. About 200km into a flight last Wednesday my iGlide wouldn't load so I switched to NavPro so I could figure out where I was on task. I struggled with the screen but it got me through. At the end of the flight I downloaded my flight log from iGlide and much to my amazement it was all there even though it had not been operational for the last 150km. It loaded to the OLC without problem. You can see from the OLC that it performed perfectly (with the exception that I couldn't get it to stay on the screen)
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=4316324

Any advice on how to declare a task so that an OO can see it and confirm it at the end of the flight?
Old May 17th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

iGlide loads turn points just fine using Dropbox - you don't need iTunes. To do it, activate Dropbox (menu|interfaces and sensors|dropbox sync). Then on your PC move your waypoints into dropbox/apps/iglide/wpt.

-John, Q3

Old May 17th 15, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good to learn John, cheers.

CJ
Old September 19th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cftsinimbus

As an XCsoar user now with an Iphone, can anyone tell my how well Iglide works with other devices? I have an LX EOS and Flarm.

With XCsoar I am presented with Flarm Nav info/warning screens and recieve full data packets from the EOS computer (gps, bario, windspeed, etc. ). I can also declare tasks to the EOS and upload files. All of this is sent and recieved via bluetooth. I have not found much info in the Iglide manuals regarding these kinds of features and would like to know more before I buy.

Old September 19th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 12:31:45 PM UTC-7, cftsinimbus wrote:
As an XCsoar user now with an Iphone, can anyone tell my how well Iglide works with other devices? I have an LX EOS and Flarm.

With XCsoar I am presented with Flarm Nav info/warning screens and recieve full data packets from the EOS computer (gps, bario, windspeed, etc. ). I can also declare tasks to the EOS and upload files. All of this is sent and recieved via bluetooth. I have not found much info in the Iglide manuals regarding these kinds of features and would like to know more before I buy.

Air Avionics is sadly lagging in the documentation department. If you have an Air Vario and their Connect Stick (or the equivalent from Amazon for $15), iGlide will connect to the vario and Flarm and produce all those things and more.You will get all barographic data, Flarm information and warnings, and instantaneous wind calculations. Air Avionics also sells a WiFi interface that will take an LX style serial stream and send it via WiFi to iGlide. I have not tried one of those, but it is supposed to give you much of the same things (in). You would not get instantaneous wind and I doubt it will upload files or declare tasks to the EOS.
Old September 19th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

For Apple Iphone you might take a look at the FlySkyHi app. I don't have one so I know nothing about it. One of my freinds uses it.
Old September 21st 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cftsinimbus

Thanks for that.

Looking forward to using the Iphone. The Android devices I have all are somewhat readable, but the Iphone is much better in sunlight than any of them.

The EOS has Bluetooth built in. Flarm is hard wired into into it and passes the flarm data through via Bluetooth to other devices.

I will comment on the results.

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 04:14 AM
iPhone 6 Plus and iGlide jfitch Soaring 39 May 20th 15 01:07 AM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch) Sean Fidler Soaring 29 March 9th 15 03:24 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM