A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

trailer painting

Old September 20th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike davis
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

It is time to repaint my aluminum cobra trailer. I'm not planning to spray it myself but does anyone have any thoughts on using an auto body shop to do the work? Could I do some of the prep myself? Any idea about the cost?

Thanks
Old September 21st 17, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 3:29:38 PM UTC-7, mike davis wrote:
It is time to repaint my aluminum cobra trailer. I'm not planning to spray it myself but does anyone have any thoughts on using an auto body shop to do the work? Could I do some of the prep myself? Any idea about the cost?

Thanks

Be sure they know it is aluminum as sand blasting will make it look like a "Flintstone" trailer.
Old September 21st 17, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 3:29:38 PM UTC-7, mike davis wrote:

Thanks

You might try a paint shop for large trucks and/or motorhomes. Many of these are aluminum bodied and as long. Another suggestion is to have it wrapped in vinyl. The graphics could be spectacular!

I had a high end glider refinish shop guess at mine and their WAG was $6K for just the top in PU.
Old September 22nd 17, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

I am also interested in this. I am especially curious how shops strip the vinyl cladding, and how cladding residue at/under the rivets affect the polyurethane paint.

I do wonder what a glider trailer top would look like in Lexus pearlescent white :-)
Old September 22nd 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

20 years and 3 gliders ago, I needed a Schreder type aluminum trailer sanded & repainted. I took it to a guy who built racing stock cars in a shop next to his house. 1 week, $1000 cash green money, no questions & no paperwork later it came back looking great. Last time I saw it (2 years ago) it still looked good. Sorry about the ozone layer . . .
Roy
Old September 22nd 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

You'll see several threads on this topic on R.A.S. There's definitely a "reward curve" as far as how much effort and cost you really want to put into an aluminum tube trailer. I'd argue that it only needs about a 10 foot refinish (i.e. looks good from about 10 feet). In that case, using an aluminum boat refinishing process can get the job done for less than $500K in materials (self-etching primer and a rolled-on topcoat). We've had several jobs done at our field using this sort of process, and they really do look good. One of the nicest is an Eberle trailer (fiberglass but same general idea) that used rolled-on epoxy-based paint. Looks much better than factory original and has held up for 10+ years.

Old September 22nd 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 10:20:28 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
You'll see several threads on this topic on R.A.S. There's definitely a "reward curve" as far as how much effort and cost you really want to put into an aluminum tube trailer. I'd argue that it only needs about a 10 foot refinish (i.e. looks good from about 10 feet). In that case, using an aluminum boat refinishing process can get the job done for less than $500K in materials (self-etching primer and a rolled-on topcoat). We've had several jobs done at our field using this sort of process, and they really do look good. One of the nicest is an Eberle trailer (fiberglass but same general idea) that used rolled-on epoxy-based paint. Looks much better than factory original and has held up for 10+ years.

Whoops - reading comprehension issue. I was looking at the comment down thread about a Schreder trailer and didn't see that the original post was about a Cobra. It's definitely worth putting a bit more into a Cobra. I've sprayed one, and it's just a matter of doing the same prep work as any other metal refinish. I would definitely go with a good automotive urethane..

If you brought a completely stripped and etched top to an auto-body shop, I suspect you could get it painted for less than $2,000 including paint. Less if you can find someone "off the grid" to do it.

The below video gives you a sense of what's involved in the prep of an aluminum surface. FWIW, an aircraft-grade "eco stripper" really makes removing the old paint pretty easy. If you started on a Friday night masking and applying the stripper, you probably could be done by Sunday night as far as being ready to go to a paint shop.

Old September 22nd 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

You can buy quite a few brand new trailers for $500K!, why bother repainting?
;-)

(Yes, I know, typo.....)
Old September 22nd 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

The below video gives you a sense of what's involved in the prep of an aluminum surface.

link?
Old September 22nd 17, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default trailer painting

Oh yeah...that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydy927hIkHU