NASM Udvar-Hazy Center

Old January 6th 04, 10:24 PM
Peter MacPherson

Just make sure you do a w&b before departure.... ; - )

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I think he meant Tim Horton's and I believe it's a donut shop.

homer simpson Hmmm.... donuts! /homer simpson

Wow -- I've never had a "Hundred Dollar Krispy Kreme" before!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 7th 04, 12:08 AM
Mark A. Matthews

In article ,
"Ron Natalie" wrote:

First off before the nit-pickers jump on me, it is a Vari-EZ, not a long.
The
various Rutan-esque Lawn Darts when they are parked actually retract the
nose wheel. The point that actually rests on the ground is a real hockey
puck
embedded in the fiberglass.

Yes, but does it bow towards Mojave?

--
-Mark
Old January 7th 04, 12:20 AM
Dave S

They do that so you have a clue approximately where something is in
relation to others...

Ask a fireman, a medic, a policeman or a pizza boy what Im talking
about.. those 4 houses may be in the 125xx block of Numbnuts avenue..
but the 12500 block will tend to have the same or nearby cross streets
within neighborhoods (or even entire towns)... sometimes, by numbers you
can even tell how far from the corner the house is (and the corner may
be where the fire plug is..)..

Its not perfect, but it helps those of us who have to find you in a hurry..

John T wrote:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

I want to know how gate 4 suddenly became gate 317. Why not gate 9
3/4?

I wondered about that, myself. But then again, I've always wondered by the
post office sets up 5-digit house numbers on streets with 4 homes.

Old January 7th 04, 02:06 AM
EDR

In article cWFKb.77676$xX.545603@attbi_s02, Peter MacPherson
wrote:

I think he meant Tim Horton's and I believe it's a donut shop.

Hey, the "i" and the "o" are next to each other on the keyboard and a
spell checker wouldn't have caught it the way you guys do.
TIM Horton's also sells fresh deli sandwiches and soup.
They do a big business selling coffee.
They have been a part of the WENDY's chain since the mid-/late-1990's.
You can find Wendy's/Tim Horton stores colocated.
Old January 7th 04, 03:41 AM
Ron Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

They have a B-36 there, or were you referring to the Enola Gay (a B-29). Also.
The Winnie Mae crashed in Alaska, killing the occupants. They managed to salvage
the original plane?

You're right, it's the B-29. Brain fart.

But you're wrong about the Winnie Mae. While Wiley Post died in Alaska (along with
Will Rogers), it wasn't in the Winnie Mae. It was in another Lockheed (a float plane).
The Udvar-Hazy center has the real Winnie Mae.

The authenticity of some of the other "restored" aircraft like the Langley Aerodrome or
the Wright flyer is a little more suspect.

Old January 7th 04, 04:29 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

By the way, if these the museum just held the B-36, a Vega, etc.. it would
be impressive enough. But not only do they have instances of these aircraft
they have the specific famous ones: The Enola Gay, The Winnie Mae, etc..

They have a B-36 there, or were you referring to the Enola Gay (a B-29). Also.
The Winnie Mae crashed in Alaska, killing the occupants. They managed to salvage
the original plane?

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 7th 04, 10:50 AM
Cub Driver

Each exhibit had a blurb that
wouldn't even fill your basic 3-by-5 inch index card, along with a small
number of statistics. I, for one, would have liked more information

You can probably thank the protesters both left and right for this.
NASM got so badly burned in 1994 for its 50th anniversary script for
Enola Gay that the new director evidently made a command decision:
just the facts! Planes are mechanical objects! Planes don't kill
people!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 7th 04, 10:53 AM
Cub Driver

Anyone know if it's accessible by GA aircraft?

Google this newsgroup for November-December.

I believe it will be open on four? designated days a year, something
like that.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 7th 04, 04:20 PM
Ron Natalie

"Cub Driver" wrote in message ...

Anyone know if it's accessible by GA aircraft?

Google this newsgroup for November-December.

I believe it will be open on four? designated days a year, something
like that.

Actually, there are four "fly-in's" planned, but the term is loosely used.
It's doubtful that other than showplanes would get to taxi down to the
museum. I suggested to Margy that she point out that the local EAA
chapter is replete with skilled airplane parkers (hell, getting aircraft
across the road into west parking at Oskhsoh is a whole lot more
scary than maintaining a crossing accross an airport service road that's
not open to the public). Dulles actually has a rather nice open house
itself (for GA and the general public) in the name of the Special Olympics
each year, so really there's no reason the Smithsonian can't get on board.

Old January 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Jim Weir

There may be now, Ron. There were 3 sets of calibrated eyeballs coming from
Baltimore on the Monday before Christmas. We came down the beltway, found the
east-west highway (50???) and then came to the junction of 50 and the highway
leading to Dulles. Not a scrap of paper in sight. We had no idea whether to
keep going on 50, turn up towards Dulles, down away, or whether we had already
passed it.

Perhaps it is better now. That day, as I said, was not much fun in the
navigator's chair. We took two wrong turns before we accidentally stumbled on
the right path.

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-The entrance is not on the corner. The brochure is misleading. However,
there
-is plenty of signage.
http://www.rst-engr.com