An aviation dating (or flying buddy finding) service idea

Old February 10th 04, 04:34 PM
Slav Inger

Gerald Sylvester wrote in message hlink.net...
"Looking for a low maintenance, high performance light twin wink wink
with low TT and a history with no major damage who can really get moving
in the upper Flight Levels and occasionally slow down, kick back while
in the pattern. Should not be afraid of W whiskey either. Please
respond to Lancair 400 N-IWANTU at transient tie down Piambo 541 or
call me at Ground-point-6."

WooHoo, we have our first potential ad, and it's a good one too! ;-)

- Slav Inger
- PP ASEL IA @ YIP
Old February 10th 04, 04:41 PM
Slav Inger

It doesn't sound stupid, but the demographics kind of suck for this sort of
thing. People involved in GA are, on average, older than the population as
a whole. Older people are more likely to be married already. So given that
GA is already such a small part of the population, and that only a small
part of the GA community are available, and that only a small part of the
available GA people are likely to find this kind of website, it begins to
look questionable. You need a fair amount of traffic to support any kind of
community on the net... say at least 60 people who check in and post
something every day. And in a dating site, you are bound to have people who
drop out once they meet "the one", so you would constantly need fresh faces
coming in the door as old ones walk out.

I'm married myself, so I've never looked at any of the sites that are out
there. I've only even heared of two or three. But what I'm wondering is
whether the existing supply of dataing sites, and perhaps especially
"Friendster", could be used for the same puposes. I'm thinking that if you
just put the words "general aviation" and "flying" in your profile, that
would be enough to attract anyone of the opposite sex who was looking for
these kinds of things as well.

Thanks for your thoughts. However, keep in mind that it wouldn't be
just a dating site but also a flying buddy finding site, so hopefully
it wouldn't be as anemic as it would be otherwise. And hopefully word
of mouth will help too. I thought about the same thing myself, i.e.
that average age of GA pilots is somewhere in the 50s. But there ARE
youngins out there, and that's why I think this site would be a good
thing, precisely because there aren't many of us out there. I'm
thinking of reserving space for a pic of the person, a pic of the
airplane, description of the airplane, and description of the person.
:-)

- Slav Inger
- PP ASEL IA @ YIP
Old February 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Michael

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote
It doesn't sound stupid, but the demographics kind of suck for this sort of
thing. People involved in GA are, on average, older than the population as
a whole. Older people are more likely to be married already.

The demographics also suck for a much more obvious reason - pilots are
94% male. From what I've noted, the (very few) female pilots there
are mostly fall into two categories - wives or girlfriends of male
pilots who mostly learned to fly in the husband's or boyfriend's
airplane, and career-track pilots. The unattached female recreational
pilots I've met I can count on the fingers of one hand, and I've been
flying over a decade and must have met literally hundreds if not
thousands of pilots.

Basically, I think the demographics for this sort of thing are
completely and totally hopeless.

Michael
Old February 11th 04, 03:43 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Slav -

Thanks for your thoughts. However, keep in mind that it wouldn't be
just a dating site but also a flying buddy finding site, so hopefully
it wouldn't be as anemic as it would be otherwise.

GREAT IDEA! Do you have a sister? ;-) Hopefully she
isn't a "tail dragger."

sorry I couldn't refuse

Gerald

Old February 11th 04, 06:36 AM
Jim Weir

Then calculate the odds for me, if you will, of two unattached commercial
airplane/glider instructor pilots, instrument, FAA Safety Counselors (not to
mention both Amateur Radio operators and computer geeks) meeting at Oshkosh,
falling in love, and being married now for 8 years or so, if my math is right?

Hey, as the saying goes, we've been married for six wonderful years...and two
that were "interesting".

You don't gotta understand it, you just gotta believe.

Jim

(Michael)

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old February 11th 04, 03:11 PM
Kyler Laird

Jim Weir writes:

Then calculate the odds for me, if you will, of two unattached commercial
airplane/glider instructor pilots, instrument, FAA Safety Counselors (not to
mention both Amateur Radio operators and computer geeks) meeting at Oshkosh,
falling in love, and being married now for 8 years or so, if my math is right?

roughly:
P = (1 - probability of such people successfully mating with anyone else)
* probability of such people bumping into each other

Looks like close to 100% to me.

--kyler
Old February 11th 04, 06:06 PM
Greg Esres

probability of such people successfully mating with anyone else

LOL
Old February 11th 04, 11:49 PM
Ken Risley

My future husband and I met out at the airport. Now we are gettting married
and building our house in a airport community in Florida. We both love
flying and share many interest. But we do have different interest, he can
play music which I can't and I plan on being a flight instructor which is
not planning.

So I think you have a great idea, GO for it.