A stunning, gorgeous winter flight...

Old December 5th 05, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A stunning, gorgeous winter flight...

After all of our awful weather, the clouds parted, the sun emerged, and the
winds calmed, as they always do after a major winter storm in the Midwest...

What was left in its wake was just stunning. Thousands of square miles
buried under a soft, velvety layer of deep snow, with crisp, cold
temperatures and thousand-mile visibility. The atmosphere had been scrubbed
clean of any dust or pollution, and anything ugly on the ground was simply
buried under a sparkling carpet of gleaming ice crystals.

For as far as the eye could see...

We flew to Wisconsin in air so thick and syrupy that you would swear you
were lounging in your barca-lounger. Engine performance at 14 degrees was
nothing short of spectacular, with full-fuel climb rate (and four aboard)
pegged at 1500 feet per minute.

With little sense of motion at 5500 feet (despite our wind-assisted 156 knot
ground speed), we sat in awe as the suddenly, magically changed snowscape
unrolled beneath us. Completely unable to adequately voice the feelings and
emotions that such a fairyland sight embodied, we simply stared in silence
at the cobalt blue sky above, and blinding white landscape below. It was
magical.

After the weeks of flying over a muddy, lifeless landscape, it was if we had
passed through some portal, into a wondrous and different world.

Sadly, few of our fellow pilots were there to witness the show. Traffic was
sparse, as so many fair-weather pilots have apparently stowed their gear for
the winter.

Their loss.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 5th 05, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

We were up there flying over south central WI. 1000 fpm at gross with 100
hp, cruise was well into the yellow. The other advantage is no bugs!

Old December 5th 05, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I feel this way about night flying, which I've just recently started
getting into. Absolutely stunning sights, amazingly calm, and hardly
anybody else around. Sounds like a beautiful sight you had, I can
practically see it even though you posted no pics.

Old December 5th 05, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,

This is exactly why we love winter flying even without the comfort
and protection of a hangar ($78 tie-down vs. $450 hangar fee/month).

Last winter, there were quite a few flights where we spent many
hours preheating the plane, removing ice from the plane, shoveling
piles of snow around the plane just to have an hour or so in the air.
Within few minutes of departing the runway, we were always treated with
the breathtaking view of the Hudson river with intriguing ice patterns,
snow-covered reservoirs, lakes, farm land and the majestic view of
Catskill mountain range.

I had posted the link to some of the winter pics we took of our
Mt. Washington trip last February. Here it is again.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-5vu2up

P.S. Note the addition of the ice rowing pic with me in the no. two
seat ;-)

Old December 5th 05, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,
This is exactly why we love winter flying even without the comfort
and protection of a hangar ($78 tie-down vs. $450 hangar fee/month).

Last winter, there were quite a few flights where we spent many
hours preheating the plane, removing ice from the plane, shoveling
piles of snow around the plane just to have an hour or so in the air.
Within few minutes of departing the runway, we were always treated with

the breathtaking view of the Hudson River with intriguing ice patterns,

snow-covered reservoirs, lakes, farm land and the majestic view of
Catskill mountain range.

I had posted the link to some of the winter pics we took of our
Mt. Washington trip last February. Here it is again.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-5vu2up

P.S. Note the addition of the ice rowing pic with me in the fourth
seat ;-)

Old December 5th 05, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
pegged at 1500 feet per minute.

With little sense of motion at 5500 feet (despite our wind-assisted 156 knot
ground speed), we sat in awe as the suddenly, magically changed snowscape

Wow, 156 kts... something I'll never see unless I fly in a hurricane,
then only if there's a tailwind. You see, my club only has a 1976
C-150M and a 1969 PA-28-140 that over-rpms if you run full throttle in
the air (usually).

However, beautiful write-up Jay!

Chris G.
Old December 5th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This is exactly why we love winter flying even without the comfort
and protection of a hangar ($78 tie-down vs. $450 hangar fee/month).

Augh! Your gorgeous new paint job is sitting out in this winter
weather? I would cringe every time I banged on the wing in order to
chip loose the ice and snow...

I hope you have a good cover to protect the plexiglass?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 5th 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Longworth" wrote)
[snip]
Within few minutes of departing the runway, we were always treated with
the breathtaking view of the Hudson river with intriguing ice patterns,
snow-covered reservoirs, lakes, farm land and the majestic view of
Catskill mountain range.

I had posted the link to some of the winter pics we took of our
Mt. Washington trip last February. Here it is again.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=hgsw2kn.andbqeyr&x=0&y=-5vu2up

Nice pics.

For those not familiar with Kodak Gallery - just click on the photo and
you're in. Once in, go to Settings and up the time to 5 seconds if you want.

Montblack

Old December 5th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Augh! Your gorgeous new paint job is sitting out in this winter
weather? I would cringe every time I banged on the wing in order to
chip loose the ice and snow...

I hope you have a good cover to protect the plexiglass?
--

Jay,

We never bang the wings to get ice and snow off even with the old
paint. Hey if we did that, all the old paint chips would have fallen
off. We filled large garbage bags with hot water and dragged them over
the ice and snow.

Yes, we have a good cover for the glasses. I have been trying in
vain to order wings and stabilators cover from Alaska Tents and Tarp
with half a dozen of emails and two phone calls to Alaska (over the
course of a year). I will probably fire off a complaint letter to the
manager and order the stuffs from Kennon. I don't know how anyone can
stay in business by ignoring orders from customers!

I recalled reading somewhere that housing in our area is 40%
overvalued (due to proximity to NY city), this is why hangar cost is so
outrageous.

Hai Longworth

Old December 6th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Longworth" wrote

Yes, we have a good cover for the glasses. I have been trying in
vain to order wings and stabilators cover from Alaska Tents and Tarp
with half a dozen of emails and two phone calls to Alaska (over the
course of a year).

Try looking up a boat cover maker; usually around lakes and marinas. Give
them some dimensions and they could sew you up what you need, toot quick.
--
Jim in NC