Satellite Imagery of Eastern US

Old January 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Satellite Imagery of Eastern US

On Jan 23, 7:25 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
Google Earth?

I believe they use images that are in the public domain, or similar.
So it probably depends on the benevolence of the original owner... I
have no idea how this works with government entities, but perhaps one
has to wait until they 'get around" to putting them somewhere freely
available?

All just guessing, so YMMV

-Tom

Old January 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Wayne Paul wrote:
Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made
available on Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction
projects, is about 4 years.

Using the same criteria with Google Maps for the Richland, Wa, area,
it's less than two years, maybe even one. But, maybe the update cycle is
4 years, even if it's a relatively new image when it is updated.

I still think it's amazing I can see which way my motorhome is pointing
(can't be sure about the glider trailer, though).

Looking at it more carefully, I realize it's the zoomed in (8 highest
magnification levels) images that are the newest. As I zoom out, the
image changes to an older one from (I'm guessing) NASA satellites.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old January 23rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Wayne Paul wrote:
Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made
available on Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction
projects, is about 4 years.

Using the same criteria with Google Maps for the Richland, Wa, area,
it's less than two years, maybe even one. But, maybe the update cycle is
4 years, even if it's a relatively new image when it is updated.

I now see a burned area near our house that occurred July 4, 2006, so
the image is less than 6 months old!

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old January 23rd 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

5Z wrote:

On Jan 23, 7:25 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
Google Earth?

I believe they use images that are in the public domain, or similar.
So it probably depends on the benevolence of the original owner... I
have no idea how this works with government entities, but perhaps one
has to wait until they 'get around" to putting them somewhere freely
available?

They use a mix of public and commercial imagery sources.

Jeremy