What does a hangar for a 15M glider cost?

Old August 22nd 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default What does a hangar for a 15M glider cost?

Any information on the economics of hangaring a glider would be welcome. Rent, buy, new, used, geographic location, "sunshade" to weather-tight, gliding season length?

Also. What is the demand (and demand trend) for glider hangars? Are hangars available for rent or sale where you fly?

How much is owning one a money losing proposition?

Old August 22nd 13, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At Cedar Valley airport 20 miles south of SLC international we pay $150 / month per glider to stay in a hangar May - October. The rest of the months the airport is shut down for the off-season. I barely have enough time to fly as is so having the glider 95% ready to fly when I get to the airport is a huge plus.

Bruno - B4
Old August 22nd 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Lowrie

I designed one myself for my DG800 and had it made by a local metalworker.
It is a steel frame with plastic coated galvanised metal profiled sheet
covering it. 8 years on, it still looks almost new...

I have a solar panel on it which charges the engine batteries.

It cost about $7500-$8000 all in...

Craig Lowrie (UK)

At 16:11 22 August 2013, wrote:
At Cedar Valley airport 20 miles south of SLC international we pay $150 /
m=
onth per glider to stay in a hangar May - October. The rest of the months
t=
he airport is shut down for the off-season. I barely have enough time to
fl=
y as is so having the glider 95% ready to fly when I get to the airport

is
=
a huge plus.

Bruno - B4

Old August 22nd 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:17:22 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
Any information on the economics of hangaring a glider would be welcome. Rent, buy, new, used, geographic location, "sunshade" to weather-tight, gliding season length?

Also. What is the demand (and demand trend) for glider hangars? Are hangars available for rent or sale where you fly?

How much is owning one a money losing proposition?

In Moriarty, hangar rent runs around $150-$165/mo. Most rental hangars are usually full, and sometimes there is a waiting list. I think there are two hangars presently being built, and one existing hangar for sale, in the mid $80,000.'s. These are owned on land leased from the city.

Mike
Old August 22nd 13, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I occupy an Ensign hangar (http://www.ensignhangars.com/) at El Tiro Gliderport, designed specifically for 15-meter gliders. Comes as a kit and can be erected with foundations for probably under $15k. It may qualify as a "portable structure", which may enable simpler permitting.

Mike
Old August 23rd 13, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:17:22 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
Any information on the economics of hangaring a glider would be welcome. Rent, buy, new, used, geographic location, "sunshade" to weather-tight, gliding season length?

Also. What is the demand (and demand trend) for glider hangars? Are hangars available for rent or sale where you fly?

How much is owning one a money losing proposition?

A 20 bay hangar may run $125k-$200k depending on design, location and amenities. As a result, rental in such will run $75-$100/month. There was a quick and dirty survey done last year and those were common rentals in multi-bay hangars at soaring locations. MASA has the most recent group hangar building project that I'm aware of at Fairfield and abandoned a large hangar at Frederick Municipal airport with expiration of their lease. Sunflower Gliderport has one that must be about 20 bays (t-bays, back to back). The Silent Knights in Ames, IA, rent from the municipal airport. Two gliders fit normally fit in a hangar bay at my club. $80/month prime season, $40/month off season. A 5th glider may be split between two bays at the back of the hangar if over 18m span, but seldom done as a result of low demand. Good rigging aids are much cheaper than a hangar, but I know some locales like to winter trailers in hangars also. There are several variations on a theme, such as the carousel hangar at Moriarty, t-hangars like the Ensign, and the quonset hut we had in the UK. That particular hangar showed me that a long hangar served from both ends is much more cost effective than side loading hangars, unless, of course, your self-launcher is stuffed five deep on a Weds. Albuquerque Soaring Club also has about a 12-14 bay hangar. No idea on the monthly. Soaring Sooners at Hinton, OK, used to be about $75/month in the city airport hangar, which housed about 10-11 gliders and the FBO towplane with room for more.

A busy site such as Boulder is home to a large club, 175 members, and a commercial operation. Both rent hangar space for tow planes, but gliders are either tied out or trailered. There are no glider hangars on the glider side of the airport. If there are any gliders hangared there, I've not heard of it.

Frank Whiteley

Old August 23rd 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As an occupant of the carousel hangar at Moriarty let me add...

Rent is about $2,100 annually paid in full up front. That's a hard hit but,
with the routine high winds we have at Moriarty, I'd rather pay that than
watch a wing go bouncing across the ramp. That happened to a visiting pilot
a few months ago. I have a solo rigger and prefer to pay the price for the
convenience, being able to push my glider out to the takeoff point within 10
minutes of arrival if I'm in a hurry (which I'm not).

The carousel has been in operation for, I think, about 18-19 years now and,
to my knowledge, there have been no instances of hangar rash as you would
expect from moving gliders in and out to get yours.

I think that, with eight (8) beams (7 are currently occupied) the hangar is
paid for and now produces a profit for the owner.

Old August 23rd 13, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Friday, August 23, 2013 11:44:41 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
As an occupant of the carousel hangar at Moriarty let me add..

Rent is about $2,100 annually paid in full up front. That's a hard hit...

You guys out west should count your blessings. In the Northeast hangars are very hard to find and the going price is closer to $400 a month!!
Old August 23rd 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is one on Wings an wheels for $4400.00 portable.

Cost of Crop damage from glider landing in farmer's field? [email protected] Soaring 17 September 19th 12 11:03 PM
Glider Hangar Tie-Downs V1 Soaring 0 March 19th 09 02:09 PM
Cost to earn a glider certificate? Jim Logajan Soaring 46 June 12th 08 01:28 AM
Club Glider Hangar? noel.wade Soaring 33 January 14th 08 10:47 PM
Ideal Glider Hangar Dimensions SGS135 Soaring 3 November 27th 04 11:04 PM