Jim Payne Cracks 1,072 Miles!

Old March 28th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jim Payne Cracks 1,072 Miles!

FROM JIM PAYNE's OLC FLIGHT 26.03.2008! GREAT FIGHT!

Pilot: OLC-Team:
Axiom for today: Never give up! Persevering yielded my farthest (1,072
miles) and longest (11.8 hours) flight ever.
Declared a 1,000 km O&R. Got an early tow from Bill Francis. Had good
rotor cu at Mojave, otherwise mostly blue in the south. As forecast
early winds in the south were on the light side and more NWerly than
desired. North of Olancha winds were stronger than desired and way
more NWerly so I turned near Big Pine. Lift was in unusual places.
Went back south to Oso and restarted. Made a save at the Switchbacks.
This time there were rotor cu that marked the lift from Big Pine to Mt
Patterson so I pressed on. Return from northern turn was fast due to
quartering tail wind. Did O&R at 106.94 mph to claim new US record.
Thank you, Doug Armstrong (for weather), Bob Ettinger (for the
sailplane), and Jackie (for crewing).

Have a look at the OLC for 26.03.2008
Old March 28th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Way to go Jim!!!

-Tom
Old March 28th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Check out the SeeYou statistics: circling time 1%. Unbelievable!
Old March 28th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Backer

Tuno wrote:
Check out the SeeYou statistics: circling time 1%. Unbelievable!

not unbelievable at all for a wave flight.

906 miles using 10 thermal by Jim Payne yesterday! Stewart Kissel Soaring 3 July 6th 07 04:11 PM
RV-4 Cracks guynoir Home Built 3 May 29th 04 07:29 AM
Large cracks have been found...Navy SH-2G Carlo Rotorcraft 1 November 26th 03 05:51 AM
Cessna 182: How can I fix cracks in tailcone bulkhead? Robert Bullock Owning 2 September 26th 03 08:43 PM
Old Cessna 172 --- Cracks in Flap Trailing Edges Larry Smith Owning 2 September 19th 03 01:17 PM