More Garmin Gripes

Old June 22nd 05, 03:21 AM
Viperdoc

Default More Garmin Gripes

I just installed a GDL69A data link with my 530, which works great. It gives
Nexrad radar as well as graphical METARs, and superimposes the information
on the basic map pages.

It is also supposed to provide text metars, but this will not be available
until "sometime in the future"

Worst, I have to subscribe to XM radio, which is excellent. Unfortunately,
there is no way to change the channels, identify the stations, or alter the
volume through the 530. My radio shop installed a removable box that allows
me to increase or decrease channels or volume (it's a guess what you're
listening to out of 110 channels).

So Garmin blew it again- they deliver a product that does not allow the user
to listen to the satellite radio or get text metars. Does anyone think that
the new owners will also have to pay for an upgrade to be able to do this,
even after already paying for the GDL69?

What about the terrain system? It's also overdue by nearly two years!

I can hardly wait for Oshkosh this year to see what kind of vaporware Garmin
is promising next.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:32 PM
Dave Butler

Viperdoc wrote:
I just installed a GDL69A data link with my 530, which works great. It gives
Nexrad radar as well as graphical METARs, and superimposes the information
on the basic map pages.

It is also supposed to provide text metars, but this will not be available
until "sometime in the future"

snip

What about the terrain system? It's also overdue by nearly two years!

Come to the east coast and get into the ADS-B demonstration program. I went to a
demo last weekend and took a demonstration flight. Very impressive traffic,
weather and terrain on an MX20 display. The FAA has a contract with WSI to
provide the weather data, so there's no subscription cost to the A/C owner.

In NC, NCDOT is sponsoring the demonstration program and will provide the GDL49
(not sure whether that's the right number) for the 3-year program, then you have
to give it back. You have to have an installed MX20 to qualify.

This is the same technology used in the Capstone project in Alaska.

If you're on the east coast, check http://faasafety.gov for a demonstration
schedule.

Dave
Old June 22nd 05, 07:36 PM
Ron Natalie

Viperdoc wrote

It is also supposed to provide text metars, but this will not be available
until "sometime in the future"

Get an MX20.

Worst, I have to subscribe to XM radio, which is excellent.

You don't have to subscribe to the "radio" part of XM. Your unit has
a separate and independent auth code for the radio part as opposed to
the weather.

Unfortunately,
there is no way to change the channels, identify the stations, or alter the
volume through the 530. My radio shop installed a removable box that allows
me to increase or decrease channels or volume (it's a guess what you're
listening to out of 110 channels).

Get an MX20. Not only does it allow you to tune and adjust the volume,
it also lists the stations and what's playing on each of them (as
opposed to the ones in my car and my wife's car that only shows me
what's playing on the station I'm listening to).

So Garmin blew it again- they deliver a product that does not allow the user
to listen to the satellite radio or get text metars. Does anyone think that
the new owners will also have to pay for an upgrade to be able to do this,
even after already paying for the GDL69?

There's nothing wrong with the GDL69/69A that I've noticed so far. It's
the 530 which appears to be useless.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:48 AM
Matt Barrow

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Viperdoc wrote

It is also supposed to provide text metars, but this will not be

available
until "sometime in the future"

Get an MX20.

Get an AviDyne MX500 instead.

Much better resolution and adds broadcast and multilink capacity.

http://www.avidyne.com/ex500/FlightMaxChallenge.shtm Check their comparison
with the MX20.

Worst, I have to subscribe to XM radio, which is excellent.

There's nothing wrong with the GDL69/69A that I've noticed so far. It's
the 530 which appears to be useless.

Not entirely, but could be much better.

BTW, what is the bandwidth on the GDL69/A? IIRC, the original 29 was about
1200BPS (or whatever the proper geek term is).

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 23rd 05, 09:36 PM
gwengler

The FAA has a contract with WSI to provide the weather data, so there's no subscription cost to the A/C owner.

Really?! How come WSI charges $599 for the weather subscription?
http://www.wsi.com/solutions/aviatio...ht/pricing.asp

I have the MX20 with WSI (and Jeppesen approach charts) in my airplane
and I am very satisfied with both.

Gerd

Old June 23rd 05, 09:42 PM
gwengler

Get an AviDyne MX500 instead.

Is the Jepppesen approach plate option working with the Avidyne EX500?
I mean REALLY working other than announcements from both Avidyne and
Jeppesen that it is "available"? I've learned in the last few years
that one should only buy avionivs or services that are actually and
really working as opposed to "vapourware".

Gerd

Old June 23rd 05, 10:20 PM
Dave Butler

gwengler wrote:
The FAA has a contract with WSI to provide the weather data, so there's no subscription cost to the A/C owner.

Really?! How come WSI charges $599 for the weather subscription?
http://www.wsi.com/solutions/aviatio...ht/pricing.asp

Yes, really. Are you thinking that your experience conflicts with what I said?
You snipped the part where I said we were talking about ADS-B. Is that what
you're using?

I don't know why WSI charges $599 for the weather subscription. Because they
can, I guess.

Dave
Old June 24th 05, 03:17 AM
Matt Barrow

oups.com...

Avidyne says "Shipping now". http://www.avidyne.com/ex500/EX500_CMax.shtm

Old June 24th 05, 04:05 PM
gwengler

See! That's what I mean.
Gerd

Old June 24th 05, 04:13 PM
gwengler

This is the original quote from you: "The FAA has a contract with WSI
to provide the weather data, so there's no subscription cost to the A/C
owner." That's why I thought you meant that the FAA has a contract
with WSI to provide the weather data, so there's no subscription cost
to the A/C owner.

Anyhow, is there anyway you can back this up?

Thanks and regards,
Gerd