why not all gps?

Old October 4th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

Default why not all gps?

how long till the vor/ndb system is decomissioned and everything goes
to gps?

dan

Old October 4th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

("houstondan" wrote)
how long till the vor/ndb system is decomissioned and everything goes to
gps?

Right about the same time our sun decides it wants to throw an
all-decade-long solar flare party.

Yes, with flair. After all, it's a party!

Mont-blackhole-theory ...#84
It was them there sun spot flares what killed off Dino.

Old October 4th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Don't hold your breath, Dan... The FAA is still installing new ILS
systems... Ours at HYX is now a month old.. (oops, it's now HQW but
old habits, and old charts, die hard) It has occurred even to the
bureaucratic closed mind, that a single terrorist with a GPS jammer
could wreak havoc on a stormy night, a solar storm could wipe out GPS,
etc... Loran will be around for a long time also, same reasons (just
to head off that discussion) One basket for all your eggs is always a
risk...

denny

("houstondan" wrote)

Old October 4th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

"Denny" wrote:
Loran will be around for a long time also, same reasons (just
to head off that discussion)

You must be joking. In the marine world, Loran is long dead. I don't
think I've seen a loran receiver on a boat in 5 years.

In aviation, there are still a few sets around, but only because the cost
of upgrading to GPS is so absurdly high. Gradually, however, those are
getting replaced too. Eventually, all avionics fail, and few people would
invest real money in fixing a Loran receiver these days. Even assuming you
can still get them serviced.

There certainly are people (http://www.loran.org/) who are pushing to keep
the technology alive, and they do make some valid points about system
redundancy. The reality, however, is that there is little or no market for
it anymore. What good does it do to maintain a backup system if nobody has
the equipment to receive the signal any more? I'm sure Loran will manage
to find funding for another few years. Maybe even 10. But it's clear that
its going the way of Omega, the four-course range, and the dodo bird.
Old October 4th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

I think I saw a Northstar M1 Loran listed on Ebay for $1. Apparently the
open market doesn't value LORAN so much either. Of course, I have one in
my plane. But I never use it.

KC

yup, here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M1-NO...spagenameZWDVW

Old October 4th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

what got me wondering is that i'm reading taylor's INSTRUMENT FLYING
(4th ed.) and he states a couple of times that the maintenance for
these sites is not being budgeted beyond 08 or 10 or some such. that
book is now several years old tho. i do like the idea of redundant
systems of course (heck, i fly with 4 gps units and an outside antenna
equipped handheld radio).

dan

Old October 4th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"houstondan" wrote:

what got me wondering is that i'm reading taylor's INSTRUMENT FLYING
(4th ed.) and he states a couple of times that the maintenance for
these sites is not being budgeted beyond 08 or 10 or some such.

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start thinking about removing my VFR LORAN.

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 4th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Walk down the ramp and tell me how many aircraft you see have IFR
certified GPSs. I'd be surprised if you came back with something more
than 5%.

-Robert

Old October 4th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Bob Noel wrote:
In article .com,
"houstondan" wrote:

what got me wondering is that i'm reading taylor's INSTRUMENT FLYING
(4th ed.) and he states a couple of times that the maintenance for
these sites is not being budgeted beyond 08 or 10 or some such.

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start thinking about removing my VFR LORAN.

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

You don't even have a handheld or some GPS software on your PDA?

-Robert

Old October 4th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

The FAA was ready to unload ILS, VOR's and ARSR's for GPS+xponders.
This despite big international doubts about a DOD-run system
being ICAO acceptable..

Then data about how GPS can be jammed [Lincoln Labs] and 9/11
caused an abrupt 180....

--
A host is a host from coast to