forgotten trig for climb angle...

Old January 28th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xerj

Default forgotten trig for climb angle...

I remember that sin c = excess thrust/weight

What step do I then do to convert sin c into degrees above the horizon?

TIA

Old January 28th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

You simply want to know what angle has that sine. arc sin (c) would be
the function on the calculator you're looking for.

Old January 29th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

You can make it a little easier on yourself, for small angles just
multiply the sine by 57. For example, a 10 degree climb angle is
pretty steep. sin(10) is 0.1736. The approximation I mentioned would
return 9.9 degrees (that's because for small angles sin(angle) is
pretty much equal to tan(angle) and to the angle itself if measured in
radians.

j" wrote:
Ahhh that's right!

Thanks.

"Tony" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 5:54 pm, "xerj" wrote:
I remember that sin c = excess thrust/weight

What step do I then do to convert sin c into degrees above the horizon?

TIA- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 29th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Tony" wrote in message
ups.com

You can make it a little easier on yourself, for small angles just
multiply the sine by 57. For example, a 10 degree climb angle is
pretty steep. sin(10) is 0.1736. The approximation I mentioned would
return 9.9 degrees (that's because for small angles sin(angle) is
pretty much equal to tan(angle) and to the angle itself if measured in
radians.

Cockpit math is hard enough. Cockpit trigonometry? Are you kdding??

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old January 29th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Sorry, I lost my head!

And my wife balances the checkbook. Go figure. (pun intended).

"Tony" wrote in oglegroups.com