2011 Colorado Performance Soaring Seminar Update

Old March 8th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BravoCharlie

Default 2011 Colorado Performance Soaring Seminar Update

Hello Pilots,

Here is quick update on the upcoming soaring seminar.

The event is set for 3/12 at NCAR in Boulder, 9AM – 5 PM MST.

Webcast: Watch the RAS for a post from Frank Whiteley for details
about logging on.

The speaker’s line up is as follows and not necessarily in this
order. Titles of the presentations are preliminary but will be
close. NOTE: We are very pleased to bring in speakers from around the
country this year.

Al Ossorio: Getting the Cobwebs Out.

Quay Snyder, MD: Aviation Physiology and Fatigue

Paul Remde: Soaring Tech

Colin Barry: Internet Sources for Flight or Competition Planning

Walt Rogers: Advances in Soaring WX (his competition id, incidentally)
Forecasting (and what do all those funny lines on the Skew-T mean?)

Dave Leonard: Performance Soaring

Richard Hall: Managing Stress in the Cockpit

Wolf Herold: Just in from Argentina

Frank Whiteley: Colorado Soaring Awards

Woody Woodward: Dinner Speaker, bringing you a Bitterwasser Update
(not webcast)

WINGS credit: Has been approved.

See you online,

Bob Caldwell
Old March 8th 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 7, 9:28*pm, BravoCharlie wrote:
[...]

Join the seminar/webinar Saturday 3/12 0900 Mountain Time, GMT-7:00
(you may join 20 minutes early) at
https://ssa-gaggle.ilinc.com/join/tzkmhhv

We are still evaluating this webinar service for the SSA. It supports
Windows and MAC, but not Linux.

This webinar service requires a client. Please install the client
before Saturday from
http://www.ilinc.com/services/support click Join to install the
client. You can check out the interface once installed.

Now is the presenters would get the rest of the presentations in.

Frank Whiteley

Old March 8th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

This is wonderful, Frank. Thanks to everyone involved!

Will the record be available for download after the webinar? I'll be
spending Saturday driving my family to NH a holiday.
Old March 8th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 8, 9:06*am, jsbrake wrote:
This is wonderful, Frank. *Thanks to everyone involved!

Will the record be available for download after the webinar? *I'll be
spending Saturday driving my family to NH a holiday.

Here's hoping, the option is there. Prior experience with DimDim
recording was haphazard. DimDim had some interesting features, but
was sold to SalesForce.com and is no longer available. The public
Internet is also subject to performance issues and maintenance is
often done one weekends, when businesses are less impacted. The
recording would stop for various reasons. This system appears to
have a more persistence recording mode, but there are still limits to
exactly what content is captured (making post-processing inevitable).

iLinc released Version 11 in late February and some things were
changed apparently. I attended a web conference and suffered some
client crashes. There were some patches in an updated release the
following weekend. I've only seen two crashes since during practice
(and trying out settings, etc). We ran a small webinar Friday
evening, which ran fine. I did some testing over the weekend and
found a couple of glitches, but no show stoppers.

These web meeting/webinar are kind of in two camps; client based and
Flash/Java based. Although I tend to prefer the latter as it's
universally viewable, iLinc personnel have explained they believe it's
more stable with a client and not F/J. Webex and GoToWebinar are also
client based. The client crashes I documented were Visual C++ Library
calls on a client installed DLL, but none since the updated client
release. If an attendee does experience a crash, it takes 1-3 minutes
before being able to log in again under the same identity.

Frank

Old March 8th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

On Mar 8, 11:06*am, jsbrake wrote:
This is wonderful, Frank. *Thanks to everyone involved!

Will the record be available for download after the webinar? *I'll be
spending Saturday driving my family to NH a holiday.

I will be traveling as well and would have liked to have been able to
participate. Topics sound quite interesting.

Hopefully there will be some way to view it after the fact.

Thanks for putting this on. Wish I could participate.

WD