The Osgood File is hitting us too

Old January 17th 04, 06:23 PM
C J Campbell

"StellaStar" wrote in message
| I believe one thing we can do is talk to other pilots and people in
| aviaton about the danger of talking to the media.
|
| Completely wrong. It's nonpilots talking to the media who give out
| misinformation, and it's up to you to counter it. Reporters are always
looking
| for credible sources to give them valid facts. If you decline, you leave
the
| field to the liars. You're doing the subject a disservice if you
deliberately
| skip the opportunity to correct the record.

Completely wrong. The media will not air rational responses from pilots or
anybody else. 'Experts' are hand-picked to promote the reporters' agenda.

I have dealt with the media for more than 30 years. They have *never* in all
that time retracted anything they had to say or aired anything that
contradicted their point of view.

There is no opportunity to correct the record.

Old January 17th 04, 06:55 PM
G.R. Patterson III

StellaStar wrote:

Completely wrong. It's nonpilots talking to the media who give out
misinformation, and it's up to you to counter it.

No, it's reporters who twist what you say to make it seem that you said the
opposite. Talk to them, and you've just given them a "reputable source" for
their argument.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 18th 04, 05:50 AM
StellaStar

CJ Campbell (always) says: The media will not air rational responses...

Look, my point is just that some restraint is called for. Pilots are the people
who get drunk and fly over controlled airspace and nuclear power plants, as
accurately reported in the media this week. The media do a deplorable job of
ginning up sensational stories, as proven by a throwaway time-filler CBS
mini-piece this week. But not always. Not even most of the time.

Go ahead and holler about this awful story. I am. But to go on and presume
from that that all "the media," from Kitplanes to the Enquirer to Reuters are
always despicable liars about everything is an overreaction.

Get it out of your system. But if you're going to maintain that they're all
that bad, don't ever again quote us a story you got from any newspaper, tv or
radio report anywhere. If you didn't see it happen, there's no reason to foist
on people a secondhand report you acquired from The Media.

That's my last rant on the subject. For now. Here.
Old January 18th 04, 07:29 AM
C J Campbell

"StellaStar" wrote in message

| Get it out of your system. But if you're going to maintain that they're
all
| that bad, don't ever again quote us a story you got from any newspaper, tv
or
| radio report anywhere. If you didn't see it happen, there's no reason to
foist
| on people a secondhand report you acquired from The Media.

Don't get snotty and start splitting hairs with me. You and I both know what
we are talking about in referring to the media. Look, you want to play word
games, fine.

That does not change the fact that there is a serious problem here, or that
Dan Rather or anybody else from a major network is going to give you equal
time to air your opinion, no matter how nice or cooperative you are.

Sure, fine, somebody from AOPA or Kitplanes wants to talk to me, I might
give him the time of day. But please don't pretend that that is what we were
talking about.

Old January 19th 04, 12:14 AM
Gene Seibel

Technically they broadcast facts. But there is spin and manipulation
of the facts. I and many other pilots fly over nuclear power plants
every day. It's a non-issue until CBS puts it in a context designed to
cause fear. Yes, one pilot may have gotten drunk, (and I'm not sure
that wasn't speculation), and flown around in controlled airspace.
What about equal coverage of the 800,000 pilots that didn't do that?
Or equal coverage of the 400 drunk drivers that killed people last
week? Facts can be broadcast very irresponsibly.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old January 19th 04, 12:23 AM
Peter Gottlieb

What I sent to CBS:

Dear Sirs,

I am shocked and dismayed that an organization such as yours would air such
a piece. What you have done is akin to yelling "FIRE" in a room full of
skittish people, just to draw attention to yourself.

This report was so full of errors that it is obvious that no proper research
was done in its preparation.

You have done a disservice to your viewing public. There is a tremendous
amount of work being done in all levels of government to attempt to
accurately assess risks and deal with them in an effective manner (in many
cases without fanfare), but by airing such a report you induce politicians
to interfere with this process and possibly divert needed resources from
real issues to ones where the true risk has been determined to be very low
and has already been dealt with in ways you do not see.

If you do some real research, interview knowledgeable people, and check your
facts and then determine that there is a security hole, I would be happy if
you quietly report it to the proper authorities. If they do not adequately
respond, then it may be your duty to report that publicly. But to air such
an incomplete, poorly researched, sensationalistic piece has in my opinion
crossed the line and represents irresponsible behavior.

Sirs, I am questioning your fitness as a broadcaster and will address this
directly with the FCC shortly.

om...