US/Canada Border Data for SeeYou, etc.

Old May 1st 10, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default US/Canada Border Data for SeeYou, etc.

Hello All,

On a suggestion from Dave Nadler I've posted US/Canada border
information in Tim Newport-Peace and OpenAir formats on my website at
http://www.soaringdata.info. I'll probably get around to doing US/
Mexico the next time the weather is crummy in my neck of the woods.

The border data is converted from lists of survey points published by
the US/Canada Border Commission. I've degranualized it to make it
much smaller while still maintaining an accuracy of +/- 500 ft or so.
I've expressed the result in closed polygon form to make it compatible
with programs such as SeeYou that have trouble with linear border
data. There are four sections in the file so that you don't have to
load the entire border if you don't want to -- just throw away the
unneeded portions using a text editor.

As the regular readers on this forum already know, my website also
includes current sectionals in .cmr format for SeeYou for the entire
continental US. It has comprehensive airspace data taken from the
National Airspace System Resource files in TNP and OpenAir formats.
There is also a dynamic waypoint file generator that can merge contest
or recreational turnpoint lists (such as those on the Worldwide
Soaring Turnpoint Exchange) with current airport data taken from the
NASR database. Four different output formats are supported that cover
nearly every instrument or software program. All of this is taken
from public sources, is free of charge, and is freely redistributable.

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
'2KA"
Lynn Alley
Old May 1st 10, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On May 1, 1:37*am, 2KA wrote:
[...]

Thanks Lynn !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old May 2nd 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

Lynn,
PLEASE let me know when you get around to the Mexico border! Your
work
is APPRECIATED! thank you! Thank you!
Micki

Old May 3rd 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

OK, I spent a few hours this afternoon and got Mexico done as well.
You can find links to borders for both at http://www.soaringdata.info.

By the way, I spent some time comparing data from three different US
Government sources. There are some significant differences -- on the
order of 1000 feet or so -- especially along the river sections. I
guess it is tricky to try to pin down the position of the river with a
great deal of accuracy, as the meanders move over time. It is
probably prudent to give the US-Mexico border a pretty wide berth when
soaring in the area; some government official's map might not be
exactly the same as yours!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"