Chest parachute? (need more room in my Discus A !!)

Old May 2nd 12, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_9_]

Default Chest parachute? (need more room in my Discus A !!)

Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone who flies with a chest parachute? I'd like
extra room in my Discus A, and perhaps this might be one way? Thanks
alot in advance.

Regards,
Paul
Old May 2nd 12, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie

At 07:01 02 May 2012, Paul wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone who flies with a chest parachute? I'd like
extra room in my Discus A, and perhaps this might be one way? Thanks
alot in advance.

Regards,
Paul

Have you considered a remote parachute pack. You wear the harness and the
chute pack is stored behind your head and deployed by a static line. Used
in Europe.

http://www.streckenflug.at/shop/prod...oducts_id=1310

Old May 2nd 12, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Walters[_2_]

On May 2, 12:01*am, Paul wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone who flies with a chest parachute? I'd like
extra room in my Discus A, and perhaps this might be one way? Thanks
alot in advance.

Regards,
Paul

Paul

I have flown with a headrest chute and placed it on my chest whilst
flying an ASH25. Definitely not optimum. Bulkiness and turbulence are
issues and map reading becomes hopeless. Ian has suggested the remote
( shoulder or headrest ) chute and that is the way to go. If you are
in the USA, be sure your rigger will repack such a chute, before you
buy one. The A model SH fuselage space above the wing spar may be a
tight fit so check dimensions.

Rick
Old May 2nd 12, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

On May 2, 9:30*am, Rick Walters wrote:
On May 2, 12:01*am, Paul wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone who flies with a chest parachute? I'd like
extra room in my Discus A, and perhaps this might be one way? Thanks
alot in advance.

Hang glider pilots all fly with chest or side mounted chutes that are
capable of supporting
the glider (~80 lbs.) and the pilot together. They cost about $700 and
weigh about 6 lbs.
http://www.highenergysports.com/hg_eparachutes.htm

Old May 2nd 12, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On May 2, 11:34*am, soartech wrote:
On May 2, 9:30*am, Rick Walters wrote: On May 2, 12:01*am, Paul wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone who flies with a chest parachute? I'd like
extra room in my Discus A, and perhaps this might be one way? Thanks
alot in advance.

Hang glider pilots all fly with chest or side mounted chutes that are
capable of supporting
the glider (~80 lbs.) and the pilot together. They cost about $700 and
weigh about 6 lbs.http://www.highenergysports.com/hg_eparachutes.htm

As I remember from my mis-spent youth in hang gliders, though, these
parachutes are not designed for a free-falling pilot. A broken hang
glider doesn't fall that fast.

Ballistic parachute to bring the glider down too?

Trading the discus A for a B or CS might be an easier solution!

John Cochrane
Old May 2nd 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

On May 2, 1:41*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
lbs.http://www.highenergysports.com/hg_eparachutes.htm

As I remember from my mis-spent youth in hang gliders, though, these
parachutes are *not designed for a free-falling pilot. A broken hang
glider doesn't fall that fast.

Ballistic parachute to bring the glider down too?

Trading the discus A for a B or CS might be an easier solution!

John Cochrane

Also from my mis-spent youth - the chest mounted parachutes that we
used to use (I still have one somewhere) was hand-deployed. That is,
you peel it off your chest, look for a hole in the tangled rigging and
throw it as hard as you can. There is no pilot chute or D-handle,
which makes them light and compact, but, YOIKS! A lot of guys went to
ballistics.

It would seem to me that a headrest pack might be your most reasonable
solution, but I would want to practice getting out to see what body
motion you need in order to not snag anything if you need to leave.

If it was me, I'd try getting on a treadmill for a while, maybe give
up pizza and beer. Then when that failed, I'd start looking for a
jumbo-sized glider. :-)

Derek
Old May 2nd 12, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Wednesday, 2 May 2012 16:54:47 UTC-4, Derek Mackie wrote:
If it was me, I'd try getting on a treadmill for a while, maybe give
up pizza and beer. Then when that failed, I'd start looking for a
jumbo-sized glider. :-)

Derek

Give up pizza and beer? Are you an anarchist?

As for the jumbo-sized glider, there were only 10 Glasflugel 604's made, and you can't have my Kestrel
Old May 3rd 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On May 2, 2:01*am, Paul wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone who flies with a chest parachute? I'd like
extra room in my Discus A, and perhaps this might be one way? Thanks
alot in advance.

Regards,
Paul

Well, can depend on where you want the extra room. I have heard of
chutes being packed thinner at the top or bottom to make a slight
wedge form. How heavy are you? Lighter but maybe still larger pilots
can safely use a smaller canopy chute which will be a smaller pack.
Is the seatback still in? Rudder pedals all the way forward? Looked
at a different panel with higher shin cutouts? Is there anything at
or near canopy rail height that could move to somewhere else?

If worst comes to worst, you can always get more room in your Schempp-
Hirth A by converting it to a Schempp-Hirth B.
Old May 3rd 12, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Barnard[_2_]

Not familiar with SH, but in Schleichers many remove the seat backs.
Chutes are as hard as a rocks anyway so losing the seat back is not
much of a comfort loss, only a headrest loss. Certainly much better
than quitting beer. Hard to believe a good natured Canadian would
suggest you quit beer.
Old May 3rd 12, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

For the record, I tried quitting pizza and beer last night. I didn't
drink while I was eating and didn't eat while I was drinking. I
didn't notice any change, so consider the "experiment" a failure.
Don't try this at home...(I'm a professional.)

Derek