Restaurants With View of Reid Hillview Airport San Jose?

Old October 23rd 05, 11:38 PM
Will

Default Restaurants With View of Reid Hillview Airport San Jose?

What are some restaurants in Eastridge Mall area that have a clear view of
the runways at Reid Hillview airport in San Jose, CA? I'm going out to eat
with some friends in that area and I would like to find a place with inside
windows and a good view of this busy small airport. It wouldn't hurt if
they served good food too.

--
Will

Old October 24th 05, 12:04 AM
Steve Allison

Will wrote:
What are some restaurants in Eastridge Mall area that have a clear view of
the runways at Reid Hillview airport in San Jose, CA?

Sadly there are none, unless you count the candy machine in the terminal
building.
Old October 24th 05, 12:53 AM
Will

Aren't there any restaurants out on the edges of Eastridge towards the
runway? Seems like it would be a novel attraction for a restaurant and I'm
surprised no one would pursue that.

--
Will

Old October 24th 05, 01:47 AM
Steve Allison

Will wrote:
Aren't there any restaurants out on the edges of Eastridge towards the
runway? Seems like it would be a novel attraction for a restaurant and I'm
surprised no one would pursue that.

Eastridge mall is directly off the approach end of runways 31L/R.
I'm usually looking at the business end of the runway when passing over
Eastridge. :-) The mall is close enough that when the wind blows hard
enough from the northwest you get a bump up when passing over it.
Here's the view on short final for 31R:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRHV

From memory, the north side of the mall (facing RHV) has one outlying
building, a bank, across the street from RHV. I can't remember any
restaurants on the end of the mall that face toward RHV. Even if there
are any that do, it is far enough away the view would be a couple
hundred yards of parking lot with large trees, a 6 lane road, and a
chain link fence with slats in it, the type you can not see through.

Even if the view was there from the north side of the parking lot
looking down the runway, it is too close to the runway to build anything.
Old October 24th 05, 02:38 AM
Tom Conner

"Will" wrote in message
Aren't there any restaurants out on the edges of Eastridge towards the
runway? Seems like it would be a novel attraction for a restaurant and

I'm
surprised no one would pursue that.

Why? Few people want to watch airplanes while they eat. They would rather
have a conversation and enjoy the food. They can always park someplace and
watch the planes. There used to be a restaurant in the terminal, but it
went out of business. The residents of the area certainly do not need a
restaurant to watch the planes since they can see them from their yard, and
hear them everywhere.

Old October 24th 05, 08:18 PM
Skylune

Don't go to a mall to watch airplanes fly around. If CA is anything like
NJ, baton-wielding security guards will threaten to beat the hell out of
you if you are caught trespassing. Telling them that you are a pilot will
not deter these thugs. You see, they have this "superiority complex" and
will just laugh at your hard-earned credentials. The only thing that may
work is letting them know that your attorney is also a cannibal, who will
eat them "for breakfast."

At least this is how it works in New Jersey, per PPL information posted on
Usenet.

Old October 24th 05, 09:08 PM
Hilton

Hi,

I think the largest mis-calculation (for want of a better word) was not
adding an observation deck, or windows, etc at Houlihans at San Carlos
(SQL). They went out of business. There were numerous times where instead
of going and getting lunch at Houlihans, I instead got Togos and simply
parked at the end of the runway - I still do. Are the owners brain-dead or
am I completely wrong? The 94th at SJC even had headphones and large
windows to encourage viewing the aircraft... until they got bulldozed to
make way for the corporate world.

Hilton