Wind/Solar Electrics ???

Old December 25th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

Default Wind/Solar Electrics ???

Where is the baseband information stored if it isn't
encoded into the sampling?

"Hal Murray" wrote in message
So, if I have a signal with a 1000 hz carrier, with

a bandwidth of 50 hz,
you think I can sample it at just 150 hz and get

accurate reproduction?
That's just wrong.

No, that's the whole point of this discussion.

You have to understand aliasing. The signal you want

aliases
down into the baseband. Your anti-aliaising filter

has
to get rid of all the junk you don't want. In this

case it
includes the baseband. Since there is no baseband

signal
(or other out-of-band junk) you can reconstruct the

original
signal.

It's a common trick with software radios.

You do need some extra information that doesn't go in

through
the A/D channel. That's the design of the system, in

particular
what the anti-aliasing filter lets through.

Maybe the reason that this is so confusing is that

you also need
that info the the normal/baseband case. But since

that's the normal
case we don't bother mentioning it.

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in

California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk

e-mail or unsolicited
commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or

any of my other addresses.
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.

I hate spam.

Old December 25th 05, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

Where is the baseband information stored if it isn't
encoded into the sampling?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you have a 1 MHz carrier with 1 KHz of bandwidth,
you might do something like sample at 10 KHz so
your anti-alias filter has some room to work with.
Then you feed the signal into a FFT and throw away
the buckets that the filter didn't get rid of.

You often pick the sampling frequency so the FFT buckets
(after aliasing) come out on convenient numbers.

If by "baseband" you mean the raw signal between 0 and X,
there isn't any information between 0 and X-tiny in a typical
narrow band modulated signal.

If you are doing the aliasing trick, the anti-aliasing filter
has to block the baseband junk (noise) or it will get into the
A/D and confuse things. It's the reverse of the "normal" anti-alias
filter that gets rid of the noise above the baseband so it doesn't
alias down and trash your signal.

Old December 25th 05, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

George is alive and well and full of Christmas cheer.

Merry Christmas to all and may you all have a great solar new year.

Even you Wayne.

wmbjk wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:50:50 +1100, George Ghio
wrote:

"George Ghio" wrote in message

Yes this is the problem. While there are people who will tell you anything
to make a sale, how do you know what you are really getting.

One test is the "Modified Square Wave" test.

When you hear these words you know you are dealing either with a shyster
or an ignorant person who should not be selling things he does not
understand.

daestrom wrote:

Judging from your previous posts, I think you mean when you hear "Modified
*sine* wave", then you know you are dealing with shyster or an ignorant
person...."

A salesperson that says their unit puts out a modified *square* wave would
be a sign[sic] of a knowledgable salesperson.

daestrom

I'll pay that. Thank you for the correction. Spent too many hours under
the car, I guess.

OHMYGOD! A blunder admitted! Who the hell are you and what have you
done with George Ghio?

Wayne

PS It's in everyone's best interest that you not be found out, so
don't forget to hide your pod.

Old December 26th 05, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

The point is the sampling rate has to be done at just
over double the frequency of the signal and not the
bandwidth.

I'm sorry that I'm not smart enough to describe it in a way
that you can understand.

Maybe if you google for software-radio you will find something
that explains it in a way that makes sense.

Old December 27th 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:50:50 +1100, George Ghio wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:50:50 +1100, George Ghio top-posted:

I'll pay that. Thank you for the correction. Spent too many hours under
the car, I guess.

Just out of curiosity, is top-posting de rigeur on the
rec.ovulation.awning NG? Someone has crossposted this to sci.erectionics.
desire, and the convention there is to bottom- or mid- (or interspersed- )
post.

Just wondering - the clsoest I've been to aviating is I logged 4 hrs.
worth of lessons in a C-150, and onec I sat in the Republic Airlines
DC-9 simulator - that was a trip! My only other associations with
aircarft other than as a passenter is that I worked at a place that sold
little tiiny 28V 40A PSUs, and I'd rather jump out of an airplane (with
a proper aprachute, of course), than try to land one. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich