BAC Lightning ejection

Old January 2nd 04, 08:49 PM
weremoth

Default BAC Lightning ejection

I've been told if you were to eject from an English Electric/BAC Lightning,
the instrument panel could take your kneecaps off. Can anyone confirm or
deny?

Old January 2nd 04, 11:48 PM
TJ

"weremoth" wrote in message
I've been told if you were to eject from an English Electric/BAC

Lightning,
the instrument panel could take your kneecaps off. Can anyone confirm or
deny?

No. Pilots were anatomically measured to see if they met the paramaters for
various aircraft types. There was sufficient clearance for kneecaps as you
can see from the following images.

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...l/bru98518.jpg

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...l/bru98521.jpg

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...l/msl97107.jpg

TJ

Old January 3rd 04, 12:09 PM
Ben Full

weremoth.exe failed a turing test with the following:

I've been told if you were to eject from an English Electric/BAC
Lightning, the instrument panel could take your kneecaps off. Can
anyone confirm or deny?

My best friend's father had the 'pleasure' of ejecting from a Lightning at
RAF Coltishall in the late 70's. He still has both his kneecaps. The
medicals make sure that your buttock to knee length is within limits to
prevent this sort of thing. I think the cockpit design team at BAC in Warton
looked into it as well.

regards

Ben Full

Champagne for my real friends
Real pain for my sham friends

--
BMFull

Old January 3rd 04, 12:23 PM
The Raven

"Ben Full" my name @NOSPAM.btinternet.com wrote in message
weremoth.exe failed a turing test with the following:

I've been told if you were to eject from an English Electric/BAC
Lightning, the instrument panel could take your kneecaps off. Can
anyone confirm or deny?

My best friend's father had the 'pleasure' of ejecting from a Lightning at
RAF Coltishall in the late 70's. He still has both his kneecaps. The
medicals make sure that your buttock to knee length is within limits to
prevent this sort of thing. I think the cockpit design team at BAC in

Warton
looked into it as well.

I believe the Mirage III, Maachi MB-326, and other aircraft had similar
issues. I definitely know my knees wouldn't clear a Maachi panel, the Mirage
though seemed to have sufficent room.

The story I'm told about the Mirages is that potential RAAF pilots with leg
issues would only be accepted if they agreed to the ejection risk. How true
that is another matter.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old January 3rd 04, 12:36 PM
Ben Full

The Raven.exe failed a turing test with the following:

[...]

Interesting. I guess it will just make selection for certain types a bit
more rigid. We have some really tall pilots around at work. You can tell
they arent fast jet boys though - some would certainly part company with
their knees. Not such a problem in helis or heavies.

regards

Ben Full

PS great tagline!

--
BMFull

Old January 3rd 04, 12:48 PM
The Raven

[...]

Exactly. Pilots considering various types should figure out up front what
they can reasonably fit into.

We have some really tall pilots around at work. You can tell
they arent fast jet boys though - some would certainly part company with
their knees. Not such a problem in helis or heavies.

I recall one Mirage pilot who was very large, no one could believe he could
squeeze into the cockpit.

Old January 3rd 04, 02:27 PM
Andrew Chaplin

The Raven wrote:

I believe the Mirage III, Maachi MB-326, and other aircraft had similar
issues. I definitely know my knees wouldn't clear a Maachi panel, the Mirage
though seemed to have sufficent room.

The story I'm told about the Mirages is that potential RAAF pilots with leg
issues would only be accepted if they agreed to the ejection risk. How true
that is another matter.

I believe the T-33 was another aircraft that had such a hazard, and
that was one of the reasons it was replaced as the advanced trainer in
Canadian service by the Tutor.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO