Midair of 2 single engine planes over Wyoming

Old August 11th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Midair of 2 single engine planes over Wyoming

One aircraft was possibly a student flying solo in a 172 and the other a
Cirrus SR22 with two people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/...lane_collision
Old August 11th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 11, 12:15*am, Jim Logajan wrote:
One aircraft was possibly a student flying solo in a 172 and the other a *
Cirrus SR22 with two people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/...lane_collision

The text makes it look like the Cirrus was IFR, doesn't it? Do radar
tracks and ATC communication recordings become part of the public
record in cases like this? There were three pairs of eyeballs out
there, but somehow no one saw the threat early enough to avoid it.
Added immediately to my checklist: "Do clearing turns when approaching
the pattern at an uncontrolled airport, IFR or VFR"
Old August 11th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
One aircraft was possibly a student flying solo in a 172 and the other a
Cirrus SR22 with two people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/...lane_collision

So much for pulling the chute in the case of a midair in the Cirrus. Sad,
sad stuff.

Old August 12th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
f-newguy

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
One aircraft was possibly a student flying solo in a 172 and the other a
Cirrus SR22 with two people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/...lane_collision

So much for pulling the chute in the case of a midair in the Cirrus.

This time. Next midair might offer an opportunity for a 'chute save. This
proves nothing, except that some accidents are unsurvivable.

Sad, sad stuff.

Indeed. I wonder if ATC called the 172 traffic for the Cirrus.

Old August 12th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

All FAA tapes and radar data are generally available via a FOIA request,
however since the center had already cleared the SR22 for the approach he
was probably on the CTAF (which isn't recorded). I was flying over Wyoming
yesterday and I can tell you low level radar coverage is practically
non-existent in many areas. In some areas I had to be as high as 9,500 in
order for the center to see me, but naturally it just depends on where you
are relative to the radar. Rock Springs sits in a low area, so I doubt they
had much radar coverage there.

Old August 13th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 11, 7:18*pm, "f-newguy" wrote:
"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
. ..
One aircraft was possibly a student flying solo in a 172 and the other a
Cirrus SR22 with two people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/...lane_collision

So much for pulling the chute in the case of a midair in the Cirrus.

This time. *Next midair might offer an opportunity for a 'chute save. *This
proves nothing, except that some accidents are unsurvivable.

Sad, *sad stuff.

Indeed. *I wonder if ATC called the 172 traffic for the Cirrus.

And that flight following and a fish-finder don't relieve you of the
need to maintain your visual traffic scan... not saying that they
weren't looking, but often time you can be lulled into a false sense
of security with flight following and a fish-finder in the panel.
Old August 13th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 13, 5:59 pm, wrote:
On Aug 11, 7:18 pm, "f-newguy" wrote:

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message

m...

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
. ..
One aircraft was possibly a student flying solo in a 172 and the other a
Cirrus SR22 with two people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/...lane_collision

So much for pulling the chute in the case of a midair in the Cirrus.

This time. Next midair might offer an opportunity for a 'chute save. This
proves nothing, except that some accidents are unsurvivable.

Sad, sad stuff.

Indeed. I wonder if ATC called the 172 traffic for the Cirrus.

And that flight following and a fish-finder don't relieve you of the
need to maintain your visual traffic scan... not saying that they
weren't looking, but often you can be lulled into a false sense
of security with flight following and a fish-finder in the panel.

My nightmare would be of a fast low wing like a Mooney or Cirrus, with
poor downward visibility, descending onto a high wing Cessna. For too
long we've been in the habit of dropping to the right altitude for
the 45 degree entry upwind or downwind entry leg a mile or two from
the pattern without doing some modest clearing turns on the way down.
Education is all about learning from other perople's mistakes -- this
is a lesson (re)learned.