Motion LS800 table HD failure at 14,000 feet

Old October 16th 06, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc
Dave S

Default Motion LS800 table HD failure at 14,000 feet

Ebay Item number: 330016440056
8GB Solid State Drive (SSD) IDE Flash Med

Is this not the type of device you are looking for.. 8 gb solid state
drive? You can get one on Ebay for under $425 USD. The 4 gig ones are
under $200 USD it appears. The prices are falling more as time goes by.

Windows XP needs just under 4 gig to load. Another 2 gig if you put
office on it. You can keep your docs on external flash media if you
want/need.. but most of us wont use up 2 gigs unless its music/video stuff.

Flitedeck is allegedly only 400 MB according to jepps site.

Peter wrote:
I am a PPL/IR private pilot, running various GPS apps (notably Jepp
Flitedeck) on a Motion LS800 table PC.

The hard drive packs up at around 14,000 feet, crashing the unit.

Flash alternatives (I believe it is a 1.8" HD inside) are extremely
costly, around USD 2000 for 8GB, and I wonder how successful it would
be to put in a 4GB SD card (for which there is a slot), put all maps
on that, etc.

The problem is that Windoze itself accesses various bits of the HD
anyway, and does anyone know which bits, and can they be moved to the
SD card?

Has anyone tried this?

I reckon that, as a minimum, one would need to move the windoze
swapfile, and registry, to the SD card. Once upon a time I had to run
a program called Filemon to monitor disk accesses, to see why an auto
power-down SCSI HD would keep powering back up again, and I found a
registry access every 1 second or so, plus an access (for no apparent
reason) to every fixed HD every few minutes. This was on NT4 though.

Old October 16th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc
Dave S

Peter wrote:
Of course a 14k ceiling doesn't make any sense
for IFR - even in the USA you can fly VFR at 17999ft

It makes plenty of sense when your cabin altitude doesnt exceed 10,000
feet (i.e. pressurized...).. thats why the consumer electronic's guys
dodge this bullet.. all the businessmen in the airliners can still use
their laptops at 33,000 feet (8,000 ft cabin alt)

Glad you found what you needed, at a (more) reasonable price

Dave
Old October 17th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc
Jim Macklin

try www.newegg.com

"Peter" wrote in message

| Dave S wrote:
|
| Peter wrote:
| Of course a 14k ceiling doesn't make any sense
| for IFR - even in the USA you can fly VFR at 17999ft
|

| It makes plenty of sense when your cabin altitude doesnt
exceed 10,000
| feet (i.e. pressurized...).. thats why the consumer
electronic's guys
| dodge this bullet.. all the businessmen in the airliners
can still use
| their laptops at 33,000 feet (8,000 ft cabin alt)
|
| Glad you found what you needed, at a (more) reasonable
price

| What I meant was that it makes no sense for the vendors of
general
| aviation moving map products, targeting primarily (in some
cases
| exclusively - due to lack of non-US data) the American
market, to be
| selling something with a hard disk in it.
|
| I don't have a price for the 8GB version; the shopping
trolley on the
| manufacturer's website refuses to accept any order or even
show a
| price, and the man on Ebay selling the 2.5" version
replied with a
| meaningless answer and when I asked for a clarification he
never
| replied any more
|
| Maybe it is too soon to be looking at this stuff... very
leading edge.

Old October 18th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc
tjd

AFAIK CompactFlash cards "speak" ATA/IDE and all you need is a simple
adapter to make them into a "disk" (bootable too). newegg has a couple
adapters for $10 and 8GB CF cards can be had for as little as $125...
Might be a little more effort but it's a lot cheaper, plus you could
conceivably swap flash cards (or carry a backup) if you need to.