SpaceShip One

Old June 14th 04, 11:03 PM
Jim Fisher

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

As much as I hate feeding this troll....
Yes, Mr. McNicoll, history. History in the fact that this, if
successful, will be the first flight into the realms of NASA defined

'outer
space' by a civilian organization not subsidized by any government

funding.

Swell, but why does that make it historically significant?

Tell us, McNiacal, why is it not historically significant?

Why don't you just spit out what you're getting at?

--
Jim Fisher

Old June 14th 04, 11:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Tell us, McNiacal, why is it not historically significant?

Why don't you just spit out what you're getting at?

It's not historically significant because the feat has been accomplished
before. That it was previously done by the government is irrelevant.

Old June 15th 04, 02:21 AM

Incidently, someone came into my workplace today (an electronics store here
in Southern CA) and idly asked me while he was getting a few things "you
keep up with what's going on at Mojave?" We got to talking about it, of
course. He said report has it that upwards of 30,000 people might be there.
Heh, cool.....

-Tony
Student Pilot

"Casey Wilson" wrote...

tony wrote:
I'm going. I'm taking Monday off from work so I can head out there the

night
before. It'll be a long night, but worth it in my opinion. One thing

I've
been wondering though - how big is this thing going to be? I envision it
either being a dozen people standing around at dawn, or the the biggest
event Mojave airport has ever seen. Any idea where it's going to fall
between those two extremes?

Well, every motel room in Mojave has been booked for that date since
the day after the first press release. But then, there are only five

motels.

Old June 15th 04, 04:51 AM
Brian Burger

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Tell us, McNiacal, why is it not historically significant?

Why don't you just spit out what you're getting at?

It's not historically significant because the feat has been accomplished
before. That it was previously done by the government is irrelevant.

Now you really are trolling. Rutan & co are doing it with a fraction of
any goverment's resources, with a significantly different & new plane (&
tech), and hope to repeat the whole thing within 10 days (to win the
XPrize).

Brian.
Old June 15th 04, 05:23 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Brian Burger" wrote in message
a.tc.ca...

Now you really are trolling. Rutan & co are doing it with a fraction of
any goverment's resources, with a significantly different & new plane (&
tech), and hope to repeat the whole thing within 10 days (to win the
XPrize).

That's swell, but they're not developing any new technology or capability.

Old June 15th 04, 06:54 PM
Jim Fisher

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Tell us, McNiacal, why is it not historically significant?

Why don't you just spit out what you're getting at?

It's not historically significant because the feat has been accomplished
before. That it was previously done by the government is irrelevant.

To you, perhaps. Not to the rest of us thinking individuals who've been
around since before the Apollo days. We recall that the first manned
mission outside the earth's atmosphere required a literal army of the best
minds in the world. It required the invention of enormously powerful
computers (with up to 16kb of RAM!) that could actually fit into a
suitcase-sized compartment. Only men with the "right stuff" as well as an
entire country behind them could participate.

Now? A few engineer-types in a warehouse out in the dessert are seriously
contemplating doing what, to me, still seems impossible . . . And may still
prove to be.

I'd call that "historic" but then, I'm not an idiot.

--
Jim Fisher

Old June 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Jack

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Jim Fisher" wrote...

Tell us...why is it not historically significant?

It's not historically significant because the feat has been accomplished
before. That it was previously done by the government is irrelevant.

Spoken like one who has given no thought to the difference between currently
inflated millions and 35 year old billions.

You'll notice some historical significance, I think, if a "private" group should
set off a nuclear device -- even though government entities have already done so.

Jack
Old June 16th 04, 01:06 AM
Jack

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

...they're not developing any new technology or capability.

How to explain then that they are the only ones (assuming success) that will
have done it?

Others could certainly have sailed to the new world (and probably did) using
Columbus' technology -- strange that they don't get much credit for it.

Perhaps hardware isn't the whole story, eh, when it comes to assessing capability?

Jack
Old June 16th 04, 03:45 AM
Brenor Brophy

-Brenor

From: "Alan Radecki" akradecki@y...
Date: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:47 am
Subject: SpaceShipOne Daily update - 6/15

Hi all,

Starting today, I plan on sending out a daily update on the
activities surrounding the SpaceShipOne launch.

-The flight is scheduled to commence at 0630 Monday 6/21, however
that is dependent on weather. Should there be a weather delay, such
as winds, the folks at Scaled plan on waiting and launching as soon
as the weather permits, even if it stretches to the next day.
-The public will enter the airport from the main Airport Blvd
entrance off of Hwy 58. The airport will open at 3am, but it is
pretty much assumed around here that there will be so many people
showing up that the roads will be clogged. RVs will be permitted in
the day before, with reservations (661/824-2433). I know that there's
already 89 coming, some of whom are NASA folks who are bringing a
band and everything. Regular vehicles will be charged $10 entrance
fee (to help mitigate the huge cost of security that the airport has
to bear), and I can't remember the RV cost...check mojaveairport.com
for details. Don't try to avoid the traffic by coming in the back
entrances...these are for VIPs with passes and tenants with ID badges.
-There will be a TFR, and only aircraft with PPR numbers will be
permitted into the airspace, starting on Saturday, I believe. Again,
see mojaveairport.com for details.
-If you don't make it onto the airport, you'll still see the
firing...it'll be visible for miles.
-There will be food and consessions selling souveniers, with all
profits going to local charities.
-There will be a press conference 2 hours after the flight, at which
time the FAA will award the first ever Commercial Pilot's License
with Astronaut rating.

If you have any questions, post them to the group and I'll answer
them in the next day's message.

I'll be here starting Sunday afternoon, sleeping in the Mercy
quarters.

Alan