holy smokes YouTube landing

Old June 29th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Field[_2_]

Default holy smokes YouTube landing

On Jun 28, 7:40 pm, wrote:
I sat there happy to be in one big piece, happy my
glider was in one big piece but mostly feeling stupid......

Don

I suppose the glider would have required an internal
check, expecially of the main spar and wing fixings.
Was there any damage at all, or is the Genesis really
THAT tough?

Old June 29th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 29, 2:31 am, Colin Field
wrote:
On Jun 28, 7:40 pm, wrote:

I sat there happy to be in one big piece, happy my
glider was in one big piece but mostly feeling stupid......

Don

I suppose the glider would have required an internal
check, expecially of the main spar and wing fixings.
Was there any damage at all, or is the Genesis really
THAT tough?

A fairing for the tip spoiler actuator came off during the ground
loop.. It had been held in place with double sided tape. I found it
the next morning on the runway. It was undamaged and got taped back
on. The runway was very wet and slippery. The soil is sandy at CCSC. I
have a feeling that the same landing on a dry hard runway would have
put more loads into the glider. I have lots of experence working on
fiberglass gliders (A&P since 1974) and there was NO structural
damage. The Genesis is built tough. (And Short)

Don

Old July 3rd 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 29, 7:45?am, wrote:
On Jun 29, 2:31 am, Colin Field
wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:40 pm, wrote:

[...]

Don,

I was standing by the gate down where you landed and remembered
thinking we were watching a beautiful plane getteing torn up.....and
being amazed when everything held together and the canopy came up. I
don't remember seeing the gear touch until you were facing back up the
field. Great job of flying on your part with gusts, sheeting rain,
massive lightning, planes in front, behind and besides. Then joking
with you out on the grid Monday when you found the fairing. You
certainly earned the Lime Crew's nickname for your plane that day
("Donkey Kong"). Probably one of the most exciting days I can think
of at the "Creek". As we say here in Kentucky "Ya done good, boy".

Gary Adams

Old July 3rd 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

That no damage resulted to the Genesis will come as no surprise to those
familiar with Jim Marske's simular designs. These are all very strong
gliders. The strength comes mainly from the shape and not from robust
structure although the Genesis is, in fact, very robust.

It's interesting to ask whether the 1-26 with its well respected out landing
capability would have done as well. Certainly, Genesis owners have less
reason to fear out landings than the typical glider owner with a fragile
tailboom.

I think this incident may have an influence on future designs. The Genesis
obtains excellent handling and quite respectable performance without a tail
boom which forces the question, " Why have one?" The 18 meter and larger
gliders would obtain even greater relative performance and damage resistance
since the fuselage size need not increase in porportion to wing span. I
wonder what the ETA would be like with the Genesis fuselage.

Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 3rd 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

At 18:30 03 July 2007, Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

Bill,

I have no idea how an ETA type wingspan would work
on a Genesis type fuselage, but I can picture the amount
of storage space one would gain in the trailer!

And yes, I was impressed with the video. It's the
first, and I hope the last time I've ever seen a ground
loop. And I'm impressed the Genesis came through basically
unhurt.

Nicely done, Jim Marske!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old July 3rd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

I wonder what the ETA would be like with the Genesis
fuselage.

Bill Daniels

It would probably then be able to withstand the mandatory
spin test for one thing! ;-)

Paul Hanson
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Old July 3rd 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

The strength comes mainly from the shape
and not from robust structure although the
Genesis is, in fact, very robust.
Bill Daniels

Bill,
I have no idea how an ETA type wingspan would work
on a Genesis type fuselage, but I can picture the amount
of storage space one would gain in the trailer!

There was talk of a garage-able Genesis although
it never got beyond the 'what if' stage. Since the
fuselage is only 14.25 ft. long, with two-piece wings
it could fit. With elevators on the wing instead of
a T-tail, the vertical stab. could probably have a
removable section, simplifying the trailer.

And yes, I was impressed with the video. It's the
first, and I hope the last time I've ever seen a ground
loop. And I'm impressed the Genesis came through basically
unhurt.

Nicely done, Jim Marske!

And Robert Mudd and engineers from Sportine
Aviacija. Robert mentioned in the Genesis Yahoo
Group that SA engineers had added gussets to the
MLG wheel box assembly. Those gussets got tested
and they passed.

Old July 4th 07, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Field[_2_]

I wonder what the ETA would be like with the Genesis
fuselage.

Maybe a bit like this...

http://tinyurl.com/yuqb7v

Old July 4th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Funny! Well done.

Paul Remde

"Colin Field" wrote in message
I wonder what the ETA would be like with the Genesis
fuselage.

Maybe a bit like this...

http://tinyurl.com/yuqb7v

youtube gliding videos Mal[_3_] Soaring 3 March 17th 07 04:55 AM
The Holy Shroud Acrux Piloting 3 September 29th 06 02:16 AM
Holy $#$ - eBay Copter Jimbob Home Built 37 September 13th 05 10:58 PM