Let's move on

Old August 19th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Ercoupe for training

Can you obtain a PPL without knowing how to use rudder pedals?

Certainly!

Pilots who learn in tricycle landing gear airplanes will occassional
push one pedal or the other, but they rarely learn to use them properly.

Pilots who learn to fly taildraggers, on the other hand, learn to
properly use the rudder pedals or suffer serious financial and bodily
consequences.

:-))
Old August 19th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Aug 19, 8:44 am, John Smith wrote:
Can you obtain a PPL without knowing how to use rudder pedals?

Certainly!

Pilots who learn in tricycle landing gear airplanes will occassional
push one pedal or the other, but they rarely learn to use them properly.

Pilots who learn to fly taildraggers, on the other hand, learn to
properly use the rudder pedals or suffer serious financial and bodily
consequences.

You're a little full of yourself, aren't you? With a little beta on
the prop I can parallel park my trike.

Your turn.
Old August 19th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

More_Flaps writes:

I'd say yes but it's really bad idea for getting additional type
ratings efficiently. Can you imagine trying to land a tail dragger
without any experience of using a rudder?

But taildraggers need a lot of specific training already, don't they?
Old August 19th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Jay Honeck writes:

On the other hand, if all you want to do is fly, and you have no intention
of buying up the performance ladder, who really cares if you know how to
fly
anything beyond an Ercoupe? It's all about your personal choice, and if I
were at a different point in my life right now, I might be very happy to
only fly the Ercoupe.

Can you obtain a PPL without knowing how to use rudder pedals?

Yes, but you are limited to single-control airplanes. You have to take
an additional flight test in an airplane with rudder controls in order
to lift the restriction.

Old August 19th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article
,
a wrote:

On Aug 19, 8:44 am, John Smith wrote:
Can you obtain a PPL without knowing how to use rudder pedals?

Certainly!

Pilots who learn in tricycle landing gear airplanes will occassional
push one pedal or the other, but they rarely learn to use them properly.

Pilots who learn to fly taildraggers, on the other hand, learn to
properly use the rudder pedals or suffer serious financial and bodily
consequences.

You're a little full of yourself, aren't you? With a little beta on
the prop I can parallel park my trike.
Your turn.

I'll bet you could do it quicker and in less space if you had beta on a
taildragger!
Old August 19th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Rocky Stevens wrote in
:

On Aug 17, 9:33 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Much of his design innovations have become standard in all planes (an
electric starter, all-metal construction, etc.) and were quite modern
for the time -- but much of them did NOT become standard, meaning
that learning to fly in an Ercoupe is pretty much a developmental
dead-end. You'll never know how to fly a plane with rudder pedals if
you train in one that only has a brake pedal on the floor!

That is what I thought at first as well, but then I got to thinking: I
learned to drive in an automatic, and later learned to drive a stick.
Also, many people learn to fly with fixed gear, and then later go on
to retractable (though as far as I know there is not that much
difference there besides remembering to lower the gear).

In any event, I do not have the guts to buy a plane right now; I am
notoriously cheap (which makes me a REAL genius for taking up flying).

They're crap for training, and so are Cherokees, which handle in a very
similar fashion.
The reason is that the habits formed in the first few hours are those that
remain with the pilot for life. It's difficult to undo those habits once
formed.

Bertie

Old August 19th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in
newseqqk.249170$TT4.12809@attbi_s22:

Much of his design innovations have become standard in all planes
(an electric starter, all-metal construction, etc.) and were quite
modern for the time -- but much of them did NOT become standard,
meaning that learning
to fly in an Ercoupe is pretty much a developmental dead-end.
You'll never
know how to fly a plane with rudder pedals if you train in one that
only has
a brake pedal on the floor!

That is what I thought at first as well, but then I got to thinking:
I learned to drive in an automatic, and later learned to drive a
stick.

True, but IMHO the choice of rudder pedals (versus none) are a bit
more important to an airplane than the choice of stick shift (versus
none) is to a car. Learning to use a primary flight control properly
could one day be the difference between life and death, whereas manual
shifting versus an automatic transmission is more of a personal
performance choice.

This from a cherokee pilot who doesn't know what his feet are for anyway.

Bertie
Old August 19th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
More_Flaps writes:

I'd say yes but it's really bad idea for getting additional type
ratings efficiently. Can you imagine trying to land a tail dragger
without any experience of using a rudder?

But taildraggers need a lot of specific training already, don't they?

You are an idiot.

Bertie
Old August 19th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Let's move on

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

While I agree with you, I'm still deeply saddened by the turn of
events.

I bet you are, braggart.

"Braggart"? This is a piloting group, my friend. We talk about
airplanes here, owning and flying them. If you think that's
"bragging", may I suggest you visit some other newsgroups that are,
perhaps, more sensitive to your emotional needs?

It's not your personal spam paradise anymore, is it?

I don't do spam. Never have, never will. In fact, I would support
the death penalty for spammers.

Members of this group (in its heyday) were directly responsible for
the direction we took (in 2002) of buying an old hotel and converting
it into a pilots' lodging paradise. At virtually every step, I relied
on advice from this group WRT appointments, services offered, fees --
you name it, this group was instrumental in the development of the
Alexis Park Inn & Suites.

Bwawhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhhahwhahwhahwhahwh ahwhha!

Good god.

OH, BTW, shameless spamming noted.

Bertie
Old August 19th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Dudley and Jay, sockin' for Mx

"MaxweII" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:%4rqk.23147$LF2.6685
@newsfe09.iad:

How interesting that two of our most outspoken quitters for POA, are now
back with us but feeding a well known troll.

Geez, I wonder why????

You wonder why things hit the floor when they fall out of your hand..

Bertie