Global Warming The debbil made me do it

Old March 9th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global.warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Kadaitcha Man[_2_]

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

"Peter J Ross" wrote in message
In alt.usenet.kooks on Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:12:41 +1100, Kadaitcha Man
wrote:

"Peter J Ross" wrote in message
In alt.usenet.kooks on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 20:06:17 +0000 (UTC), Bertie
the Bunyip wrote:

"John T" wrote in
m:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"The opposite of science is not religion; the opposite of science is
wishful thinking."
-John Derbyshire

Yup. That's what the AGW crowd uses as justification for their
hysteria.

**** you. I'm not hysterical.

Bertie

NEITHER AM I AND I'LL SUE ANYONE WHO SAYS DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's moments like these I wish I had the Berserker running. I'd hit both
of
those posts with the Tourette Bot

However I'm only in Oz for a few days to visit my kids so it's not been
worth setting up.

You might enjoy this:
http://pjr.lasnobberia.co.uk/script/quackify.vim.bz2

And this is my working copy:
http://pjr.lasnobberia.co.uk/script/....vim-alpha.bz2

And this is a simplified, generic version that isn't customised for
Will Dockery:
http://pjr.lasnobberia.co.uk/script/****ify.vim.bz2

I need more coffee. I thought the opening comment in in the first archive
said "This script is intended to be used with a restraint order..."

In case you're wondering where I got the idea of transforming kooks'
posts in order to make fun of them, I got the idea from you, of
course.

Compliment taken, even if none was intended.

If you were still alive I'd thank you properly.

Neat stuff. I tend to code my transformations long-hand and don't make much
use of RegEx. I'm of the opinion that Visual Studio's RegEx is slow, plus I
need to learn it to a deeper level than I currently know it. I'll
disassemble your code into pseudocode to understand what it's doing. Many
thanks.

In between getting full body massages and toe-sucks from any one of several
Timorese rent-wives I'm writing Berserker VI from the ground up as a basic
newsreader with all the bots within easy reach. I intend to GPL the source
and put it up on my site, eventually. However living in heaven is my
priority at the moment and electricity is a rare commodity.

Old March 9th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global.warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Kadaitcha Man[_2_]

"Art Deco" wrote in message
Kadaitcha Man wrote:

"Peter J Ross" wrote in message
In alt.usenet.kooks on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 20:06:17 +0000 (UTC), Bertie
the Bunyip wrote:

"John T" wrote in
m:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"The opposite of science is not religion; the opposite of science is
wishful thinking."
-John Derbyshire

Yup. That's what the AGW crowd uses as justification for their
hysteria.

**** you. I'm not hysterical.

Bertie

NEITHER AM I AND I'LL SUE ANYONE WHO SAYS DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's moments like these I wish I had the Berserker running. I'd hit both
of
those posts with the Tourette Bot

However I'm only in Oz for a few days to visit my kids so it's not been
worth setting up.

Ah well, perhaps Fred will return on a future date.

When I moved to the outlying Indonesian archipelago I gave my son my dual
Xeon beastie so I'd have to set everything up on this laptop from scratch.
It'd take too long. Sorry, mate. I plan to come back to Oz every few months
and if someone sets up an internet cafe in the straw and mud-brick village I
live in I'll set Fred loose to let you know. The only power in the village
is my 750w portable generator so it's only good enough for recharging a
laptop and running emergency lights at night if they're needed.

I've had to fork out a small fortune while I'm back here for a propane gas
operated refrigerator. Propane is easy to get but petrol is a four hour
journey away in Atambua city. It'll cost me just as much to get the thing
shipped over, assuming it doesn't sink on the death-trap ferries that ply
the region.

Mind you, I'm having fun. Interesting way to live. The only problem is, the
floor of the hut gets further from the ceiling every time you sweep it.
Apparently dirt floors will do that.

Old March 9th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global.warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Peter J Ross[_2_]

wrote:

"Peter J Ross" wrote in message
In alt.usenet.kooks on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 20:06:17 +0000 (UTC), Bertie
the Bunyip wrote:

"John T" wrote in
m:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

[...]

A compliment was intended. I'm slowly working towards writing a "Fred"
emulator for *nix.

If you were still alive I'd thank you properly.

Neat stuff. I tend to code my transformations long-hand and don't make much
use of RegEx. I'm of the opinion that Visual Studio's RegEx is slow, plus I
need to learn it to a deeper level than I currently know it. I'll
disassemble your code into pseudocode to understand what it's doing. Many
thanks.

I'd rather use a standard library like PCRE, but in order to do so I'd
have to make my code portable, and if I learned how to do that I'd no
longer be able to start Usenet comments with "I'm not a programmer,
but...".

In between getting full body massages and toe-sucks from any one of several
Timorese rent-wives

Tip: try not to call one of them by another's name.

I'm writing Berserker VI from the ground up as a basic
newsreader with all the bots within easy reach. I intend to GPL the source
and put it up on my site, eventually.

Thanks in advance for that. Please use GPL 2, not 3.

However living in heaven is my
priority at the moment and electricity is a rare commodity.

Are you a regular in misc.survivalism yet?

--
PJR :-)
Old March 9th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

They were *the* cool thing to have in my neighborhood. I yearned
desperately for one but only got to ride on the back of a few.

On the little rack or did your buds mount a buddy pad there? Mine only
had one seat which was a PITA, but it probably wouldn;t have hauled tow
up so well anyway. They are going for big bucks nowadays!

Don't remember exactly. I do remember riding on the one guy's paper rack with
my feet in the bags. ;^)

Old March 9th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"John T" wrote:

You're going to break my irony meter.

I told you early on we wouldn't convince the other to change their
position/belief any you devolve this discussion into ad hominem.
sarcasmShocking./sarcasm That's the pattern observed time after time
with this topic.

IOW, you've got nothing. Noted.

Some folks like to believe in magical beings; others like to believe humans
have the power to change global climate. I'll wait for the evidence for
either.

You wouldn't recognize evidence if it was scotch-taped to your forehead.

Old March 9th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global.warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Kadaitcha Man[_2_]

wrote:

"Peter J Ross" wrote in message
In alt.usenet.kooks on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 20:06:17 +0000 (UTC), Bertie
the Bunyip wrote:

"John T" wrote in
m:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

[...]

If you want it, I'll gladly send you the Fred code, including the lexical
dictionary, conjugation rules, normalisations et al. It'll take a day or so
because the lexical dictionaries are encrypted and I have to extract some
code and modify it to dump the unencrytpted data. Mail me at the address in
my headers. Use the supersekrit Cabal Obsidian Order code word so I can
verify it's you I'm sending it to.

Many, many weelks of work went into building the lexical dictionary. Almost
endless research. I can save you an awful lot of time.

If you were still alive I'd thank you properly.

Neat stuff. I tend to code my transformations long-hand and don't make
much
use of RegEx. I'm of the opinion that Visual Studio's RegEx is slow, plus
need to learn it to a deeper level than I currently know it. I'll
disassemble your code into pseudocode to understand what it's doing. Many
thanks.

I'd rather use a standard library like PCRE, but in order to do so I'd
have to make my code portable, and if I learned how to do that I'd no
longer be able to start Usenet comments with "I'm not a programmer,
but...".

Seeing as I no longer need windows for work, perhaps now is a good time to
move permanently to linux. Hmmm...

In between getting full body massages and toe-sucks from any one of
several
Timorese rent-wives

Tip: try not to call one of them by another's name.

Oh, they know the rules. Any protests and they're fired.

I'm writing Berserker VI from the ground up as a basic
newsreader with all the bots within easy reach. I intend to GPL the
source
and put it up on my site, eventually.

Thanks in advance for that. Please use GPL 2, not 3.

However living in heaven is my
priority at the moment and electricity is a rare commodity.

Are you a regular in misc.survivalism yet?

lol - there is no internet where I live. No phones, nothing. Hell, there's
probably not even a satellite in the sky. I enjoy the very simple lifestyle.
Absolutely no pressure to do anything. I have all the time I want to teach
my new-found friends about cultivating better vegetables and avoiding
malaria. There are no strings and most of the women are beautiful, and
exceedingly friendly too, for the right number of Rupiah.

The only real issue is medical care. It's non-existent here so I come back
to Oz to see my kids and stock up on essential medications. The villagers
call on me now when some poor sod gets dysentery so I keep a good store of
Imodium on hand.

Modern trappings are available if I want them, but they're in Atambua, which
is a fair hike on a walking stick. There is an irregular coach service to
the city but the timetable appears to be based on reading tea leaves and the
fall of flung chicken entrails.

I have my cash from the sale of my property, after a divorce split. I have
my superannuation, and my website brings in more advertising revenue in one
day than I need to survive a week or more here. In five years I qualify for
a reduced Australian pension (I'm not at early retirment age yet), and the
throbbing in the groin I get when I look at my RP6,000,000,000 bank balance
can't be beat. Well, metaphorically speaking and with some exceptions.

Anyway, mail me if you want Fred's guts. If you're serious about writing
something like Fred then this'll save you an awful lot of work. No
obsequious thanks required; I'd do the same for a white man.

Old March 9th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Support taking tax breaks away from oil companies and applying them to
alternative energy development. Vote against politicians who are dumping
subsidies into bio-ethanol production and for politicians who'll spend the
money on solar and wind power. Drive a more fuel efficient car. Apply
energy conserving methods to your home and business.

Hey, I feel green already. I am literally in favor of (or against) all of
the things you are!

Don't forget, I'm the guy who tried (unsuccessfully) to buy an electric car
last fall, and we have spent the winter (and a stupidly grand amount of
money) converting every light fixture in our three 3-story buildings to
compact fluorescent bulbs.

And everyone here knows how I feel about the scam called "ethanol"...

So, you see -- even conservatives can be eco-friendly -- especially when
being that way also benefits the bottom line.

As to whether any of this will affect the world's climate, well, I think you
know my opinion of *that*...

Note that giving up your airplane is nowhere on the above list.

Whew! Thank goodness!

:-)

And I have a polite question: Do you understand why a 3 deg. C rise in
global average temperature by 2100 is a big deal?

In every model I've seen, Iowa comes out a big winner in any global warming
scenario. After this winter -- the coldest, snowiest we've ever seen in
Iowa -- I'm all for any temperature increase that we humans can muster.

Hell, we should be so lucky...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 9th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

IOW, you've got nothing. Noted.

You wouldn't recognize evidence if it was scotch-taped to your
forehead.

No less than you, my friend. Your position is apparently so weak you have to
resort to this tactic.

You're boring me. Come back when you have some real data.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old March 9th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 8, 3:22 am, Roger wrote:

FACT: The National Academy of Sciences reported in 2001 that, "Because
of the large and still uncertain level of natural variability inherent
in the climate record and the uncertainties in the time histories of
the various forcing agents...a causal linkage between the buildup of
greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the observed climate changes
during the 20th century cannot be unequivocally established." It also
noted that 20 years' worth of data is not long enough to estimate long-
term trends.

That was on 01. They've changed their minds

You mean they were wrong before?

How very interesting....

Dan