TSA has a fan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 28th 04, 01:44 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:47:21 GMT, Jose
wrote in : :

The difference between an aircraft used as a delivery method and an
automobile is the aircraft's ability to easily circumvent the traffic
barricades that have been erected since the Oklahoma bombing.

... but its payload carrying capacity is quite limited.

The published useful load of my PA28-235 was 1,400 lbs. I have read
reports, that 200 lbs of explosive is being used by car bombers in
Iraq with results of ~25 deaths. 7 X 25 = 175 if the aircraft is not
overloaded. If no physical barrier to entry (or SAM) existed, a
target could be selected to increase that number substantially. The
use of light aircraft to collapse tall buildings however, would be
considerably ineffective compared to a fuel laden airliner, in my
opinion.

Little good to circumbent [sic] the traffic barricades to deliver a firecracker.

What sort of math did you use to arrive at the conclusion that a light
aircraft is incapable of carrying enough explosive to kill a lot of
innocent folks? How much did McVie's fertilizer and kerosene weigh?

OTOH, a truck and a catapult could do the trick just as well.
Why not be proactive and ban catapults. (and dogapults too while we're at it.

The TSA is not 'banning' aircraft nor airman. They are
bureaucratically executing the mandate handed to them by the current
administration. Unfortunately, they appear to not be educated enough
in the arcana to produce a meaningful product.

It is up to us airmen to assist the TSA in getting it right. They
would probably welcome the input. We would be seen as policing our
own ranks. And not only would we get fairer regulations, something
useful might actually be created.