Argetina - Gliding in the 5th Dimension - 3,000 km in a glider DVD...

Old July 16th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar S Alonso

Default Argetina - Gliding in the 5th Dimension - 3,000 km in a glider DVD...

RAS group,

I purchased this DVD from Cumulus Soaring a few weeks ago. An amazing
flight and DVD, I am very
happy with my purchase.

I am trying to figure out who did the music at is used at the end of
the flight during the
landing. Any help would be apreciated.

Oscar Alonso

Old July 16th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Unless it is a string quartet, it is too trashy to
accompany a glider in flight!

Now, there's a troll for you. grin

Old July 16th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

OK I will bite -
String quartets are nice - but there has to be some baroque.

So in my books - for gliding musinc - No Euphonium means maximum score can't
exceed 70%... (look on wikipedia if you have to)

Old July 16th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Specifically, I would recommend the Debussy quartet.

Now, what is this about Wikipedia, and under what should
I look?
(I am a musicologist by profession)

Old July 16th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nyal Williams wrote:
Unless it is a string quartet, it is too trashy to
accompany a glider in flight!

Now, there's a troll for you.

At 13:00 16 July 2007, Oscar S Alonso wrote:
RAS group,

I purchased this DVD from Cumulus Soaring a few weeks
ago. An amazing
flight and DVD, I am very
happy with my purchase.

I am trying to figure out who did the music at is
used
at the end of
the flight during the
landing. Any help would be apreciated.

Oscar Alonso- Hide quoted text -

Impressionistic is TOO ...well..dreamy (Debussy). Not sure about
quartets, either. Wagner, Mahler, or Holst would do much
better.........after all, I too am a professional musician. Funny how
the right brained are drawn to the sport.

As for a Euphonium (or baritone as my students are inclined to call
the instrument), depends on the style. I can just imagine ol/ Phillip
Wills racing off to the sounds of an English brass factory band.

Gary
GE8

Old July 16th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sally W

At 17:24 16 July 2007, Nyal Williams wrote:
Specifically, I would recommend the Debussy quartet.

snip

How about Eric Satie's Gymnopodies (sorry if I spelt
that wrong)? And I feel there must be something appropriate
somewhere in Schubert's works.

Old July 16th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sally W

At 20:24 16 July 2007, wrote:
snip
As for a Euphonium (or baritone as my students are
inclined to call
the instrument),

Not the same thing in the UK...
http://www.bandsman.co.uk/writing_l.htm#Instrumentation

depends on the style. I can just imagine ol/ Phillip
Wills racing off to the sounds of an English brass
factory band.

Many were formed not among factories but at coal mines
and the miner's clubs & welfares, and in Scotland and
Wales as well as England. Also, some call themselves
Silver Bands rather than Brass Bands.

However in this day and age most of the factories and
just about all the mines have closed. Thankfully some
of the bands live on, but I suspect some died, or died
when they needed new instruments. BTW I don't think
there have ever been many brass factories in England...

Old July 16th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 16, 5:05?pm, Sally W
wrote:
At 20:24 16 July 2007, wrote:
snip

As for a Euphonium (or baritone as my students are
inclined to call
the instrument),

Not the same thing in the UK...http://www.bandsman.co.uk/writing_l.htm#Instrumentation

depends on the style. I can just imagine ol/ Phillip
Wills racing off to the sounds of an English brass
factory band.

Many were formed not among factories but at coal mines
and the miner's clubs & welfares, and in Scotland and
Wales as well as England. Also, some call themselves
Silver Bands rather than Brass Bands.

However in this day and age most of the factories and
just about all the mines have closed. Thankfully some
of the bands live on, but I suspect some died, or died
when they needed new instruments. BTW I don't think
there have ever been many brass factories in England...

Sally,

Yes, I know the difference, but "baritone" just sounds more "normal"
to high school kids. Alas, here in the states, baritone and euphonium
are almost interchangable in our band lit.

Agree that Satie would be good in the winter riding wave; definately
Wagner in the rotor. Mahler's 1st symphony (Titan) would be my choice
for ridge running.

Gary
GE8

Old July 17th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

Nyal Williams wrote:
Unless it is a string quartet, it is too trashy to
accompany a glider in flight!
Now, there's a troll for you.
At 13:00 16 July 2007, Oscar S Alonso wrote:
RAS group,
I purchased this DVD from Cumulus Soaring a few weeks
ago. An amazing
flight and DVD, I am very
happy with my purchase.
I am trying to figure out who did the music at is
used
at the end of
the flight during the
landing. Any help would be apreciated.
Oscar Alonso- Hide quoted text -

Impressionistic is TOO ...well..dreamy (Debussy). Not sure about
quartets, either. Wagner, Mahler, or Holst would do much
better

snip

Yikes!

Ancient classics just don't work for me over videos of glider flight.
How about Joe Satriani's "Ice Nine" or The Vince Guaraldi Trio's
"Skating" from A Charlie Brown Christmas? Or any number of Philip
Glass* compositions? Brian Eno? C'mon I mean "Music for Airports"!
I'd even take Blur's "Song 2" (cough) before something written by some
fossil born before aviation ;-)

Shawn

*You other music geeky types might appreciate:
http://www.philipglass.com/html/pages/jokes.html