Convert StrePla trace to IGC without StrePla?

Old January 9th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

Default Convert StrePla trace to IGC without StrePla?

Someone recently emailed me a StrePla flight trace that I'd like to look
at. Much to my surprise, it appears not to be an IGC file.

Anyone know of a way to convert it without installing StrePla?

I *can* do that, but it kind of seems like overkill for something I'll
only need once every 2-3 years.

Jeremy
Old January 9th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I don't believe StrePla uses any different flight log file types. Most
fight logs I view in StrePla are IGC files or the older Cambridge .CAI
files. What is the file extension of the file you received?

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old January 9th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I don't believe StrePla uses any different flight log file types. Most
fight logs I view in StrePla are IGC files or the older Cambridge .CAI
files. What is the file extension of the file you received?

Paul,

It's a .FL2 file.

Popping it open in an editor, I see that it's definitely a binary format
of some sort. The first ~80 bytes of the file say things like "StrePla2
Flighttrack file" and other recognizable strings (the pilot's name,
aircraft tail #, etc).

Unfortunately, it's not one of the dozens of formats that SeeYou groks.

Jeremy
Old January 10th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

StrePla imports waypoint files into a database and saves the database
containing multiple waypoint files into the .FL2 file. StrePla can "Export"
a file from the database as an IGC file. You may want to ask the source of
the file to do that for you. Or send the .FL2 file to me and I'll export an
IGC file for you.

Good Soaring,

Old January 11th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stephanevdv

You could also look at it using the Volkslogger Manager for Windows
(free download: http://www.volkslogger.de/de/VL-Manager.exe ), it is a
simplified StrePla. You can import flight data files with the fl2
extension. You can then use it to convert the track file to IGC format
(right click on the track information in the track window, then "save
igc data on disk").

Old January 11th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Or you could download and install the demo of StrePla. It can probably do
it as well.

However, it is a moot point now. He sent me the .fl2 file and I opened it
in StrePla, exported an IGC file and e-mailed it to him.

Good Soaring,
--
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.