status of Air-Borne Laser programme?

Old October 28th 03, 01:57 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

Default status of Air-Borne Laser programme?

Does anybody have any recent info on the stauts of the ABL programme?
The latest I know is that the YAL-1 prototype has been flown, though as
yet without many of the systems installed), production representative
equipment was being installed in the fuselage of a grounded ex-Air India
B747 and funds have been allocated for acquisition of a second 747-400
to serve as the first production aircraft.
Any info on whether systems integration is proceeding as planned and on
whether the HEL laser modules are up to spec?
When will a functioning system be installed on the YAL-1 prototype?
The ABL webpage www.airbornelaser.com sadly provides little info.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old October 28th 03, 06:37 PM
Kevin Brooks

Ralph Savelsberg wrote in message ...
Does anybody have any recent info on the stauts of the ABL programme?
The latest I know is that the YAL-1 prototype has been flown, though as
yet without many of the systems installed), production representative
equipment was being installed in the fuselage of a grounded ex-Air India
B747 and funds have been allocated for acquisition of a second 747-400
to serve as the first production aircraft.
Any info on whether systems integration is proceeding as planned and on
whether the HEL laser modules are up to spec?
When will a functioning system be installed on the YAL-1 prototype?
The ABL webpage www.airbornelaser.com sadly provides little info.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Some info from the AFA in their SEP 03 magazine:

www.afa.org/magazine/Sept2003/0903abl.html

It includes some info on changes to the testing schedule and where they are now.

Brooks
Old October 29th 03, 08:06 AM
John Keeney

"Ralph Savelsberg" wrote in message
Does anybody have any recent info on the stauts of the ABL programme?
The latest I know is that the YAL-1 prototype has been flown, though as
yet without many of the systems installed), production representative
equipment was being installed in the fuselage of a grounded ex-Air India
B747 and funds have been allocated for acquisition of a second 747-400
to serve as the first production aircraft.
Any info on whether systems integration is proceeding as planned and on
whether the HEL laser modules are up to spec?
When will a functioning system be installed on the YAL-1 prototype?
The ABL webpage www.airbornelaser.com sadly provides little info.

Yea, Ralph, the ABL program doesn't get a lot of press.
I probably can't tell you much you don't know but I have
seen pictures of the unpainted YAL-1 airborne, reportedly
with none of the laser equipment installed.
Seems I did see where the were dropping one module
from the stack because they were performing above
expectations.

Old October 29th 03, 09:22 AM
Ralph Savelsberg

John Keeney wrote:

[...]

The aerodynamic changes made to the airframe, especially the
nose-mounted laser turret but also the exhausts for the reaction
products and the dorsally mounted laser pod seem, obviously have to be
tested. In the latest pictures I've seen the aircraft has been painted
in the grey scheme displayed on most of the artist's impressions of the
aircraft.

Seems I did see where the were dropping one module
from the stack because they were performing above
expectations.

It's a very impressive piece of engineering. Combat Aircraft
International recently had an article about ABL, which spurred my
questions here. In it, one of the programme managers/ engineers is
quoted saying that fitting the laser modules is like stacking six Chevy
Suburbans vertically inside the rear of the plane.

Anyway,
thanks for the info, Kevin.
Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old October 29th 03, 09:24 AM
Ralph Savelsberg

Kevin Brooks wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg