A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

Old December 10th 17, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 10:22:14 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Why not?

And you don't need an SEL rating to fly a motor glider.Â* You can fly a
Stemme on a PPL Glider with a self launch endorsement, though I wouldn't
recommend it for someone without a bit of experience.

On 12/8/2017 7:44 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
This video is a little confusing because all of the graphics show daytime conditions. But at one point ATC says that 'we've turned on all the lights, you should be able to see us'.

So I'm thinking that this incident was at night, and that is why the pilot did not want to land off airport.

Can you fly motorgliders at night if you have PPL-SEL+glider ratings? I know that some of them have lights and electrical systems.

--
Dan, 5J

You don't need an SEL license to fly a motorglider day or night. What you need is a glider license. An SEL license itself is insufficient to fly any glider, including motorgliders, regardless of how much they resemble airplanes.
Old December 10th 17, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

In the UK there is a licensing crossover. I can fly a motorglider on my Private Pilots License with Touring Motorglider endorsement or on my Sailplane Pilots License. Then there is a National Pilots License (Self Launching Motor Glider). I can count it as glding hours or power hours or both. Hours in a Falke motor glider count for currency on my PPL SEP (single engine piston).
Old December 10th 17, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

This guys first call says he is 35 miles and 12 minutes out. I haven't heard of a motorglider which can do that speed whether day or night. It isn't a motorglider.
Old December 10th 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

There is so much wrong with this it is embarrassing. It is a PR fail for the FAA who should realize these reports need enough clear information to be credible, this one just comes off as bull****. Turning the opportunity for positive PR and education into making the FAA look silly.
Old December 10th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Silly only to pilots though......especially glider pilots..........

Yeah, speed is a bit high for a glider going for max L/D.
Could be doable in a real motorglider, depending on height AGL.

Reminds me of a story early in the U2 history. Pilot calls in from near Greenland(?) saying he had a flameout. Controllers start looking for rescue nearby. Pilot requests 70K MSL, controller states, "go for it"......pilot comes back with, "descending from 100K to 70k MSL.

Pilot made it back to land.

Specifics are foggy, but something like that........long time ago........
Old December 11th 17, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 3:27:33 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002
Yeah, speed is a bit high for a glider going for max L/D.
Could be doable in a real motorglider, depending on height AGL.

Uh, 35 miles, 12 minutes, 175 MPH. Only "motorglider" I can think of that could come close to that is the Arcus Jet.

Old December 11th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I did wonder about the Arcus Jet, but I thought that would be over the VNE. As owner of an Arcus M I would love to know more about the jet. How much fuel does it carry, where, etc
Old December 11th 17, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 2:08:09 AM UTC+3, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 3:27:33 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002
Yeah, speed is a bit high for a glider going for max L/D.
Could be doable in a real motorglider, depending on height AGL.

Uh, 35 miles, 12 minutes, 175 MPH. Only "motorglider" I can think of that could come close to that is the Arcus Jet.

If it's statute miles then that's 152 knots and only a little over the sea level 146 knots 270 km/h Vne of a Stemme. TAS at altitude, maybe doable.

If it's 35 nautical miles as normally used by DME .. forget it.
Old December 11th 17, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Arcus J was featured in the January/February 2017 issue of "Gliding International." I wrote the article and provided the photos. For more information, contact Bob Carlton at www.desertaerospace.com. We will be doing another installation of the PBS TJ-100 in the fourth Arcus J as soon as the aircraft arrives from Schempp-Hirth in early January. It should be on display at the 2018 SSA Convention in Reno.

Old December 13th 17, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Incidentally, I have found this one:

http://www.planeadores.cl/main/multi...mbustible.html

G.A. Fumes Poison Neighbors...No Surprise JG Piloting 18 November 29th 09 03:49 AM
Welding and fumes Michael Horowitz Home Built 2 August 19th 09 04:05 PM
seaplane motoglider? John Ammeter Home Built 23 September 19th 05 04:11 AM
motoglider aerowujek Soaring 0 July 15th 04 09:51 PM
motoglider aerowujek Home Built 4 July 14th 04 03:26 PM