A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

Old December 8th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

New from FAA on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BV2yT1Dcdw

Don't know exactly the situation, so I am not making any judgement, just mixed feelings. So, after all, are motorgliders gliders, or not? Most outlandings would be 'No fuel, no engine' declaration.
Old December 8th 17, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Reeeeeeeally?

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 9th 17, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dale Watkins[_2_]

It's not April 1st
Old December 9th 17, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Could’nt find the flight posted in OLC... :-)
Old December 9th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 4:41:36 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
New from FAA on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BV2yT1Dcdw

Don't know exactly the situation, so I am not making any judgement, just mixed feelings. So, after all, are motorgliders gliders, or not? Most outlandings would be 'No fuel, no engine' declaration.

In the event of a(nother) government "shutdown", I wonder if publication of more "True Stories of Air Traffic Control" will be deemed an essential service, or not.

-T8

ps: "Ten Miles North" of Bowman Field on Google Earth discloses an agricultural area with many large fields.
Old December 9th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

The controller mentions turning the runway lights up. Perhaps this was actually an emergency at night?
Old December 9th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

N137X registration is a Lancair IV-P. Not exactly a motorglider. More like a pretty fast, small, short wingspan sport aircraft.
Old December 9th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

This video is a little confusing because all of the graphics show daytime conditions. But at one point ATC says that 'we've turned on all the lights, you should be able to see us'.

So I'm thinking that this incident was at night, and that is why the pilot did not want to land off airport.

Can you fly motorgliders at night if you have PPL-SEL+glider ratings? I know that some of them have lights and electrical systems.
Old December 9th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 6:44:14 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
This video is a little confusing because all of the graphics show daytime conditions. But at one point ATC says that 'we've turned on all the lights, you should be able to see us'.

So I'm thinking that this incident was at night, and that is why the pilot did not want to land off airport.

Can you fly motorgliders at night if you have PPL-SEL+glider ratings? I know that some of them have lights and electrical systems.

He never identified himself as a "motorglider." He said he was "on fumes," which usually means the engine is still running, but will likely quit shortly. He never gave an altitude, so it is impossible to assess his likelihood of gliding in to LOU. If the FAA puts this stuff out they should include more information to put the whole incident into context.

Tom
Old December 9th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Why not?

And you don't need an SEL rating to fly a motor glider.Â* You can fly a
Stemme on a PPL Glider with a self launch endorsement, though I wouldn't
recommend it for someone without a bit of experience.

On 12/8/2017 7:44 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
This video is a little confusing because all of the graphics show daytime conditions. But at one point ATC says that 'we've turned on all the lights, you should be able to see us'.

So I'm thinking that this incident was at night, and that is why the pilot did not want to land off airport.

Can you fly motorgliders at night if you have PPL-SEL+glider ratings? I know that some of them have lights and electrical systems.

--
Dan, 5J

G.A. Fumes Poison Neighbors...No Surprise JG Piloting 18 November 29th 09 02:49 AM
Welding and fumes Michael Horowitz Home Built 2 August 19th 09 04:05 PM
seaplane motoglider? John Ammeter Home Built 23 September 19th 05 04:11 AM
motoglider aerowujek Soaring 0 July 15th 04 09:51 PM
motoglider aerowujek Home Built 4 July 14th 04 03:26 PM