History of the Iowa City Airport

Old February 5th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default History of the Iowa City Airport

For those of you lucky enough to subscribe to "Aviation History"
magazine, you've already seen Scott M. Fisher's outstanding article
about Jack Knight's epic transcontinental air mail flight through Iowa
City, way back in 1921. Commercial aviation was literally born right
here in Iowa City, thanks to the almost super-human efforts of Jack
Knight, and the other early pioneers of flight.

For those who DON'T subscribe (and you're really missing an excellent
magazine, BTW), Mr. Fisher has kindly agreed to let me reproduce his
article "Knight Flyer" in its entirety on our "History of the Iowa
City Airport" website.

See the "Knight Flyer" article he http://www.alexisparkinn.com/
knight_flyer.htm

See the history of the airport webpage he http://
www.alexisparkinn.com/the_iowa_city_airport.htm

After reading how the old-timers flew the airmail cross-country in
open cockpit biplanes, in weather like we're experiencing this week,
you will NEVER have any trepidations about flying anywhere again,
guaranteed.

Enjoy!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 5th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

See the "Knight Flyer" article hehttp://www.alexisparkinn.com/
knight_flyer.htm

Argh! I *HATE* URL-wrap!

Here is the link, unwrapped:

Old February 6th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
See the "Knight Flyer" article hehttp://www.alexisparkinn.com/
knight_flyer.htm

Argh! I *HATE* URL-wrap!

Here is the link, unwrapped:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/knight_flyer.htm

Fascinating. A great read. Take the time.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 6th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

Thanks Jay, good story.

Old February 6th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Nice story. They did misspell Bellefonte, PA, though. :-)

Matt
Old February 6th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Argh! I *HATE* URL-wrap!

Yup. Whenever you can, place the URL at the START of a fresh line.

For newbie lurkers, these ( ) help too.

Old February 6th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Nice story. They did misspell Bellefonte, PA, though. :-)

Actually, that's probably my fault. Thinking it would save me some
time, I scanned the whole magazine article in, and then used OCR
software to convert it to a Word document.

What a joke! I would have been time ahead if I'd typed the whole
thing in by hand. I had to go back and correct so many dumb things
(like periods that showed up as commas) that it took FOREVER to do.

Live and learn. But it's a great story, and I'll fix the spelling
error. Thanks for pointing it out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Jay Honeck wrote
... Thinking it would save me some
time, I scanned the whole magazine article in, and then used OCR
software to convert it to a Word document.

What a joke! I would have been time ahead if I'd typed the whole
thing in by hand. I had to go back and correct so many dumb things
(like periods that showed up as commas) that it took FOREVER to do.

Back in the good old days, when we digitized hundreds of FAA documents, we
found that it took about the same amount of time to scan, OCR, and proofread
as it did to type and proofread.

Jon