Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

Old June 13th 19, 02:01 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Morwood View Post
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 12:10:47 AM UTC+10, Dan Marotta wrote:
Aussies do things differently, Mike.

One one trip to The Alice (Bond Springs), when I went to preflight my
glider I was told that I was not authorized to do that.Â* Only the
"engineer" was allowed to do the morning inspection.Â* In the US, it's
the pilot's responsibility to insure that the aircraft is safe for flight..

The person that told you that was wrong for Australian glider pilots in Australia, at least since I have been gliding.The daily inspection can be done by anyone with a DI rating, which is most post-solo pilots. This inspection will be noted in the Maintenance Release kept in the glider and is valid for the day. The pre-flight inspection is done by the pilot. I'm not actually sure how the DI would work for "foreign" pilots, as the recognition of foreign qualifications seems to be challenging everywhere, but I assume the DI qualification would be assumed as part of your reciprocal licence as I suspect it is not a separate rating elsewhere in the world.
Hi

Adding to the drift...Bottom line is whether or not I can 'sign out' the glider I sure as heck am doing my own preflight to satisfy myself that I want to park my butt in it and commit aviation.

Some years back at the Auckland Gliding Club I checked the daily log in a glider before flying it mid afternoon. No one had signed out the DI and it had already been flown several times....D'oh!

I rest my case lol
Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : June 13th 19 at 07:38 AM.
Old June 13th 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 5:09:10 PM UTC-7, Mark Morwood wrote:
[...]

It's necessary for a foreign rated pilot to get GFA Form 1 training and certificate. I have one for composites. Also a GFA Glider Pilot Sertificate.
Jim
Old June 13th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My experience was in the mid-1980s and things may very well have changed.

My US license was never an issue as I obtained a temporary GFA
membership which allowed me to fly Australian gliders.Â* I was not
allowed to fly Australian registered airplanes on my US license and my
visit time did not allow getting an Australian license.

The "Daily Inspection" is what I was talking about and, to my knowledge,
there's no similar requirement in the US.Â* My experience has always been
that the Pilot in Command is responsible for the airworthy condition of
the aircraft.Â* Of course there are maintenance and inspection programs,
annual, 100-hour, etc for commercial or rental aircraft, but no daily
inspection requirement beyond the preflight inspection conducted by the
pilot.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

--
Dan, 5J

Old June 15th 19, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Updated my Softie chute this year.

I went to the aerobatic harness. Not the one with the ratchet system, but the one that crosses over and the metal clips are up on your chest. WHAT A GREAT IMPROVEMENT IN COMFORT. On the normal configuration I would always have to leave the chute very loose to get the hardware from under the seat belt of the glider, and it would at times still dig in.

If you are considering a new chute or container check out the aero harness.

Kevin
92