2019 USA Open and 18 Meter National Soaring Championship pre practice news.

Old June 16th 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default 2019 USA Open and 18 Meter National Soaring Championship pre practice news.

2019 USA Open and 18 Meter prepractice day 6/15/19. Attached pic of DB, Concordia, being towed out for takeoff. Yes, its hot, many folks are setting up and a few are flying. XG took off a few moments ago, ZO is getting ready to go. Looks to be a good day, the chance of small cu with bases 15,000 msl.. Its a zero turn MAT with no TP's or time limit, also a no scoring event day. Best OLC flight maybe for those who post their flight. Winds are picking up to 25 knots in BL. We are expecting maybe 40-43 folks for both classes and the grid talk is it's going to be a shoot out in the 18 Meter class as we have the new V3's and JS 3's challenging the might champion ASG 29. All 3 models are being driven by past National champions. Long term weather forecast says rocket man days are going to bless us, so, when I do get the chance, I'll take pics and post some stories........! Best #711.

Rocketman says God Bless those water-filled led sleds.....
This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for portions of southeast New Mexico, southwest Texas, and western Texas.

..DAY ONE...This Afternoon and Tonight(6/15/19.

A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect until 10 PM CDT for Borden, Dawson, Howard, Martin, Mitchell, and Scurry Counties.

Thunderstorms are possible this afternoon and evening. Any storms that do develop will be accompanied by frequent lightning, small hail, gusty winds, and brief, heavy rainfall. There is a slight risk of severe storms, capable of producing damaging winds and large hail.

..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday
6/16/19 thru 6/21/19
The probability of widespread hazardous weather is low.🤪🤪🤪ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

2019 USA Open & 18 Meter glider Nationals Hobbs, NM., post prepractice day news 6/15/19. John Seaborn(A8) and his wife Brenda were putting away their newborn JS 3. I asked Brenda how her day went and John spoke first in utter glee as his day was fantastic! The first time he flew their JS 3 with a full load of water and he was extremely pleased. Most I spoke with had reports of great lift and climbs to an almost touching 17,999 msl! Our CD even reports it was his first time above 17,000 ft. and I asked if he used O2. Of course, he said and he even remembered to wear the canual(mask)! Near the last of the landings comes an ASW 22 being flown by Ron Tabery who has been a many time US Team member. Ron's wings were flexing big time as his landing was in a fairly strong crosswind. Good job Ron! It was also good chatting with him and learning their son is now off to Vanderbilt College. Some of the folks went up north, Portales then wandered back and forth. We had scattered CU's popping with extremely high bases starting 3 pmish. Attached pic of Dick Butler sitting in back and Rick Sheppe driving. All who flew are home, the ramp is filling up. First practice day tomorrow with pilots meeting at 10 am at the college. The hard day's work went to DL. His motorhome step wouldn't retract, so he decided to remove it. Hours later, I stopped...cough.... again.... as he removed the last nut, which I then pulled the broken step out. That my friends was a job as liquid wrench had become DL's best friend.......night. Best. #711.

Old June 16th 19, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

My back is killing me, your post is killing me.....not sure what is worst....hope to an open reporting....kudos to those that post "day to day" stuff.
All volunteer, I, and others, appreciate whatever posts up....
Old June 16th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 11:16:18 AM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
My back is killing me, your post is killing me.....not sure what is worst....hope to an open reporting....kudos to those that post "day to day" stuff.
All volunteer, I, and others, appreciate whatever posts up....

All you do is BITCH, BITCH, BITCH and its all about you. My posts are on FaceBook, many grateful folks as pictures won't load on my blog. Do something for Soaring and shut the **** up!

Now, is there anything you don't understand?

Best. #711.
Old June 16th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Ok......obviously my post did NOT express my thoughts correctly......such is a written word without context or physical presence for others to read.
My bad.....sorry.....

I TOTALLY understand that ANYONE that posts general info, day to day info, human interest at a contest, etc., is strictly a volunteer effort and helps those of us at home "sorta be there".....I totally applaude that.

Thank you.

My "sorta thang" is when some (not you in this case) post on some social media and expect everyone to know about it or embrace it.
Usually, this is not what you do. Poop happens.

Yes, my body hurts, but I was attempting to be funny and note I had no access to your info.
Obviously I totally failed......

Again, sorry if it came off wrong from me.....

Thanks for your many other posts to help us "be there".....I appreciate it....
Old June 16th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 1:10:07 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Ok......obviously my post did NOT express my thoughts correctly......such is a written word without context or physical presence for others to read.
My bad.....sorry.....

I TOTALLY understand that ANYONE that posts general info, day to day info, human interest at a contest, etc., is strictly a volunteer effort and helps those of us at home "sorta be there".....I totally applaude that.

Thank you.

My "sorta thang" is when some (not you in this case) post on some social media and expect everyone to know about it or embrace it.
Usually, this is not what you do. Poop happens.

Yes, my body hurts, but I was attempting to be funny and note I had no access to your info.
Obviously I totally failed......

Again, sorry if it came off wrong from me.....

Thanks for your many other posts to help us "be there".....I appreciate it....

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.kelley.796

Link to my FB page which has pictures! As my blog still is having loading problems. Theirs only one of me, so getting something out is better than nothing. With 4 billion users social media is really good to help foster and promote our sport. Some RAS'ers have only created their own fear group in not using this source of information.

Today it's not as hot or high. We had a few relights but the rest that launched stuck. The day sure is not like yesterday with maybe 9,000 msl(Hobbs field is 3700) in the blue with high clouds moving in from the East. A 4 turn TAT with more information is on the SSA website.
Best. #711.
Old June 16th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-6, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
[...]

Some of us don't use those public forums including Facebook - is there any chance you can post the info on RAS ? Much appreciated if that is possible
Old June 18th 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bojack J4

Yeah....second that.
No facebook account here either.