Sully Sullenberger - Miracle on the Hudson

Old November 4th 18, 02:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Stormin' Norman[_2_]

Default Sully Sullenberger - Miracle on the Hudson

The wisdom of aviators; a few quotes from an op-ed authored by Chesley
B. “Sully” Sullenberger, pilot of the "Miracle on the Hudson" US
Airways flight 1549.

#1 - "Today, tragically, too many people in power are projecting the
worst. Many are cowardly, complicit enablers, acting against the
interests of the United States, our allies and democracy; encouraging
extremists at home and emboldening our adversaries abroad; and
threatening the livability of our planet. Many do not respect the
offices they hold; they lack - or disregard - a basic knowledge of
history, science and leadership; and they act impulsively, worsening a
toxic political environment."

#2 - "As a result, we are in a struggle for who and what we are as a
people. We have lost what in the military we call unit cohesion. The
fabric of our nation is under attack, while shame - a timeless beacon
of right and wrong - seems dead."

#3 - This is not the America I know and love. We’re better than this.
Our ideals, shared facts and common humanity are what bind us together
as a nation and a people. Not one of these values is a political
issue, but the lack of them is.

#4 - "This current absence of civic virtues is not normal, and we must
not allow it to become normal. We must rededicate ourselves to the
ideals, values and norms that unite us and upon which our democracy
depends. We must be engaged and informed voters, and we must get our
information from credible, reputable sources."

#5 - "For the first 85 percent of my adult life, I was a registered
Republican. But I have always voted as an American. And this critical
Election Day, I will do so by voting for leaders committed to
rebuilding our common values and not pandering to our basest
impulses."

#6 - "We cannot wait for someone to save us. We must do it ourselves.
This Election Day is a crucial opportunity to again demonstrate the
best in each of us by doing our duty and voting for leaders who are
committed to the values that will unite and protect us. Years from
now, when our grandchildren learn about this critical time in our
nation's history, they may ask if we got involved, if we made our
voices heard. I know what my answer will be. I hope yours will be
"yes."

For mo https://outline.com/8xCgYt

--

"How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?"

-Barack Obama, September 2018